Newbie to Klipsch: Klipsch RF-7 II: Any Amplifiers to Make The 10 inch Woofers Move Air?

Codyred

These are my first Klipsch speakers! I'm surprised for their size they don't produce more deep and powerful bass weight. I'm using a high quality direct digital amp with them (NAD M2 from the Master series). Lots of power there... Anyone out there get those 10" woofers to pump with more weight and heft to match their size? Room is 11x 18 x 8 carpet over concrete slab, filled family room. I listen mostly to classic jazz from the 50's.

Welcome to the forum Codyred. The RF 7II are not bass shy speaker IMHO. Check the setup and positioning of the speakers. Putting them closer to a wall or corner will reinforce the bass output. Nothing worng with 2.1 or 2.2 to dig a little deeper and balanced the bass in the room. I like jazz and use a sub or two with my systems. I have the opposite problem, I am usually cutting down the bass, lol.[8-|] That NAD is a nice amp.

Welcome to the forum Codyred. The RF 7II are not bass shy speaker IMHO. Check the setup and positioning of the speakers. Putting them closer to a wall or corner will reinforce the bass output. Nothing worng with 2.1 or 2.2 to dig a little deeper and balanced the bass in the room. I like jazz and use a sub or two with my systems. I have the opposite problem, I am usually cutting down the bass, lol.Geeked That NAD is a nice amp.

Thanks Derrick, i'm still experimenting with the NAD M2. This is my second set of speakers with it. I've thought about re-postioning the rf-7's a bit closer to the corners. I noticed the manual says connect speaker wire to the top 2 speaker post. I did not realize that was the recommended way and I have my connected to the bottom 2 speaker post. In the past I always connect to the bass drivers on other speakers. It seems Klipsch'a approach is the opposite. Can it make a difference? I guess I will just have to try it..

Thanks, the NAD M2 does not have a preamp. It is called a "direct digital amplifier." No this is not an avr. It's more like a power amp and a DAC.

Integrated amp, got it. That thing should pound. Find some music with a good bass line and crank it, those 10's will come alive with that amp.

Codyred,

Welcome to the forum.

Your NAD M2 is a wonderful piece of gear and should have no problem moving those 10" cones of the RF-7II. What are you using as your source/s? Are your sources sending digital streams to the M2 and letting it do all the conversions? How far from the front/side walls are your RF-7II's positioned?

Bill

Codyred,

Welcome to the forum.

Your NAD M2 is a wonderful piece of gear and should have no problem moving those 10" cones of the RF-7II. What are you using as your source/s? Are your sources sending digital streams to the M2 and letting it do all the conversions? How far from the front/side walls are your RF-7II's positioned?

Bill

Bill thanks. Sources are Macbook Pro (no outboard hard drive at this time) FLAC files ripped from CD, sometimes use Macbook Pro as transport, Krell SACD Standard lll (balanced), and Jolida 100 as transport. The NAD M2 does the conversion of any source connected. The RF's are about 20" from the front wall and 27" from the side walls.

Sources are Macbook Pro (no outboard hard drive at this time) FLAC files ripped from CD, sometimes use Macbook Pro as transport, Krell SACD Standard lll (balanced), and Jolida 100 as transport. The NAD M2 does the conversion of any source connected.

Doesn't appear that your sources are an issue at all.

The RF's are about 20" from the front wall and 27" from the side walls.

Is there any way to cut the distances in half from both front wall and side walls?

Bill

Sources are Macbook Pro (no outboard hard drive at this time) FLAC files ripped from CD, sometimes use Macbook Pro as transport, Krell SACD Standard lll (balanced), and Jolida 100 as transport. The NAD M2 does the conversion of any source connected.

Doesn't appear that your sources are an issue at all.

The RF's are about 20" from the front wall and 27" from the side walls.

Is there any way to cut the distances in half from both front wall and side walls?

Bill

Bill, I can move closer to the front wall easily but one of my speaker cables won't reach to cut the distance for one os the side walls.

But for bass reinforcement I know what you mean. Thanks

To break in mine took about 1 month, but most of it was during the first week. I cannot argue if it was a break in or placebo, but one of the two really happened for sure :)

The Nad 375bee drives them to perfection :) my older Nad model however had harsh treble I had to give it away to a friend to match less sensitive speakers, tried also with my Marantz PM6004. Have not tried only my Sony amp and the HK, but the overall impression so far is that any decent amp will work well with the RF7 provided it can go as low as 2ohms (high current), has correct timing (musical) and has a high-resolution in the treble (smooth)

Don't underestimate the importance of good cables, I use silver cables and I am very happy with them and keep them as short as possible (1 meter) .I know to many this sound like superstitions, but I cannot help it, my ears definitely feel the difference when I change to a cheapo cables which I bought thinking that I am making a deal :)

But dont worry you have one of the best speakers known to men so ENJOY!

To get them really moving you might need to eq the bass up. They just get to loud to fast to get the woofers moving with no eq.

I would get a stand alone eq if your nad dont have one. That will help a ton and not cost much. You can get a nice used eq on ebay for $50-$100. If you eq the bass up they will pump out more bass than good subs from 35hz up.

• 2 years later...

Julian,

Welcome to the forum.

4 minutes ago, Julian said:

Hello everyone, I need help finding the perfect receiver for my pair of klipsch RF-ii. Do any of use think an Onkyo TX-646 can power them great?

Great no, adequate for a smaller room, possibly.

If you are using them in 2-channel only, I would suggest an integrated amp or preamp/amp combo over an AVR.

Otherwise, get an AVR that has at least stereo preouts so you could add an outboard amp later if you so choose.

Bill

• Like 1