Tesla Model S Catches Fire After Reportedly Impacting Debris On Road

Gilbert

Incredible. We've been watching car gas tanks explode and incinerate people almost every night on TV for decades, and a single incident like this causes Tesla's stock to drop. And the fire depart throws water on an electro-chemical fire...

We are weird...

Dave

Not trying to start a hi-jack or debate but, saw a Chevy Volt cruising down 75 recently at 80+ steady as she went.

Yes, I may prefer an electrical over/ fuel episode. Really prefer neither,lol!

The Chevy Volt is a proven fire hazard...... it got such bad reviews by the Auto Mag's that someone created a spoof commercial about it. It was rarely if ever shown on the local news, but the Auto mag's slammed the Volt. I tried to find the spoof commercial on youtube, but found this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQkeUFG9pz8

Found it:

I was cruising down the highway two days ago, and the car in front of me ran over something. I was too close to swerve, it was a broken piece of plywood which kicked up when that car hit it. It would have been no big deal, but I was going 80+ on a BMW motorcycle. I was lucky I didn't end up like that car. A statistic. Speaking of statistics, I wonder if the Model S is still the safest car ever? personally I would LOVE to own one. In fact, I am considering the Model X next year. the problem is, there aren't dealerships in West Virginia. I have to go to Virginia, Ohio, or DC to buy one.

From Elan:<p>

Musk's bottom line is the accident outside Seattle that caused the Model S sedan and its battery pack to go up in smoke would have been far worse had it been a conventional gasoline-powered car.

"Had a conventional gasoline car encountered the same object on the highway, the result could have been far worse," Musk, who is also CEO of rocket maker SpaceX, writes on Tesla blog.

Just as authorities have reported, he says the Model S struck a "large metal object" as it traveled at highway speeds. It went under the car and struck with a force "on the order of 25 tons." He says the estimate is based on the result: a 3-inch hole through armor plate that compromised the car's battery pack.

But from there, he says everything went as it should. The car's "onboard alert system" directed to the driver to stop and get out. The fire was contained by firewalls within the battery pack. Vents in the pack directed the flames down and away from the vehicle.

The fire department followed the correct procedure in trying to deal with the fire by puncturing holes in a protective plate and shooting water into the pack.

If the same accident had occurred under a conventional car, the thin metal shielding around the gas tank or tubing could have caused gasoline to pool and burn the entire car to the ground.

"In contrast, the combustion energy of our battery pack is only about 10% of the energy contained in a gasoline tank and is divided into 16 modules with firewalls in between. As a consequence, the effective combustion potential is only about 1% that of the fuel in a comparable gasoline sedan," Musk writes.

He says in comparison to 150,000 vehicles fires a year, Tesla has now had only one out of 100 million miles driven. "This means you are five times more likely to experience a fire in a conventional gasoline car than a Tesla!"

Elan -"This means you are five times more likely to experience a fire in a conventional gasoline car than a Tesla!"

Indeed. Tesla motors has a long way to go catching up to Ford in that regard:

ford-fire.jpg

"Road debris not required."

this happened to a pal's Ford truck in our parking lot at work. He had ignored the recall and that's what happened.