RF-5 Connections

philly0116

I got my RF-5's home tonight. I hooked them up to a Marantz 2265. They sound good but occasionally the woofers "pop" or "snap", it isn't just clear smooth bass. The Marantz is 65 wpc and the RF-5's are 99db sensitivity and rated at 150 wpc. Surely I'm not over driving these things. On the back there are 4 plugs. 2 high and 2 low it says. I guess I need to ask how they should be hooked up. They are all tied together with the factory jumpers, should I have say the red plugged into the high and black to the low or both plugged into the low or both into the high? Or should they be connected where the 2 arrows are pointing? It may not even be a connection problem, I don't know. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. I am new to the Reference stuff, have been all Heritage to this point. Thank you!

post-53642-0-69560000-1382671996_thumb.j

Thank you!. Any suggestions as to why the popping sound?

Philly,

Even though the RF-5 is a very efficient speaker, the 2265 may not have the low impedence driving capabilitiy to handle the some of the sub 4ohms dips. I don't know what those exact figures are but maybe something to consider.

Bill

• Like 1

Philly,

Even though the RF-5 is a very efficient speaker, the 2265 may not have the low impedence driving capabilitiy to handle the some of the sub 4ohms dips. I don't know what those exact figures are but maybe something to consider.

Bill

I bet your right! I will put the Marantz back on the Cornwalls and hook the larger amp to the RF-5's. Thanks!!

Philly,

Bill

Just a thought....I have never had the "clipping" problem with the RF-3 and the RF-5 only goes 3Hz lower and its rated 1db more efficient. Is 3Hz really enough to cause a problem? I mean, I guess it is because Im having that problem but it just seems odd.

As Roger asked, is it one or both speakers? If only one, swap RCA's and speaker wire and see if the issue follows a certain component. Can you tell if it's coming from the tweeter or one of the mid/bass drivers?

Sorry. Its just one speaker and its from the mid/bass driver.

Willand, I like how you signature looks. It is easy to read. The new forum makes most signatures a faint blue. Maybe, I just need stronger glasses, loll.

Thank you sir.

You need to go in to "Edit My Profile" and then "Signature" and customize to your liking. You have to choose the color of your headings and the body of your signature. As you can see, I chose a red/orange color for my headings and black for the gear listings themselves. Many fonts, colors, and sizes to choose from.

Bill

Edited by willland

Does it happen at all volumes??? Is it happening in both speakers???

Rog

Sorry, man. Somehow I missed this. Its just one speaker and its only at pretty high volume. I can listen to them with no problem at a reasonable volume.

Sounds EXACTLY like the issue I had with an RF-5. Moderate volumes, it'd play all day with no issues. Crank it and it'd pop like heck. Come to find out, the lead from the wire terminal that runs across the spider to the center of the driver was touching the frame ONLY during high excursion. Pull the driver that's giving you issues and closely look at those particular wires to see if they're close to the frame anywhere. All you have to do is reposition it. Problem gone.

Does it happen at all volumes??? Is it happening in both speakers???

Rog

Sorry, man. Somehow I missed this. Its just one speaker and its only at pretty high volume. I can listen to them with no problem at a reasonable volume.

Sounds EXACTLY like the issue I had with an RF-5. Moderate volumes, it'd play all day with no issues. Crank it and it'd pop like heck. Come to find out, the lead from the wire terminal that runs across the spider to the center of the driver was touching the frame ONLY during high excursion. Pull the driver that's giving you issues and closely look at those particular wires to see if they're close to the frame anywhere. All you have to do is reposition it. Problem gone.

I appreciate the suggestion!! I will take a look!!