How much power for my RF-82

jfg02

Hi there,

I own a 5.1 HT system (4 x RF82 + 1 RC62), drived by an Harman Kardon AVR3600 (85 wpc). Also having an Emotiva 12 Sub.

I want to improve my system, mainly for stereo music listening. I was wondering what would be the best thing to get the most of my system.

I was looking for power amps, actually for Emotiva products (but I am flexible, should you have any suggestion) :

XPA-5 - 200W x 5 : 899$
XPA-3 - 200W x 3 : 719$
XPA-2 - 300W x 2 : 799$

XPA-200 - 150W x 2 : 399$

Would any of them would bring a significant amelioration ? Which one would you suggest ? Or any other brand ?

Or should I invest in a dedicated CD player (I actually use a Sony BDSP) like the ECR-3 (or any other ?), even if it's passing through the AVR ? Or a DAC ?

Thanks !

If your more music than home theater I would invest in the xpa-2 or a nice dac or the erc-3. Or you could find a used erc-2. I just sold an xpa-2 for 525$. Erc-2 for 325$. Used deals are out there and 9/10 comes with a emotiva warranty still. So used could save you some bucks.

But if you do watch a lot of movies as well then an xpa-5 would also get you some extra juice since you run four towers. Your setup will pull some serious juice when listening near reference levels.

OP avr only does 85 watts. My VF 36 Icon with the same power rating needed a power amp to really sing. Once we get started in this hobby, it is natural to want more and a good 5 channel amp is not much more than a 2 or 3 channel amp. Future proofing is not a bad ideal. :P

Can't use a sub and a dac at the same time?

No point, unless the DAC has an embedded crossover and two outputs and a volume control. The analog signal from the DAC will be digitized again in the AVR to apply bass management. Unless you use a sub with speaker-level inputs and let it do the bass management.

OP avr only does 85 watts. My VF 36 Icon with the same power rating needed a power amp to really sing. Once we get started in this hobby, it is natural to want more and a good 5 channel amp is not much more than a 2 or 3 channel amp. Future proofing is not a bad ideal. :P

Except that there's only 4 dB between 80W and 200W and driving the speakers to 200W will lead to compression anyway. If 200W were required for speakers to sound good, then they would have very little dynamic range. I listen with volumes appropriate to the content. You might want 100W peaks for drums, but be very happy with a jazz trio at 1/100th W.

If the impedance curve of the RF-82 difficult? Otherwise, HK receivers are still high-current and should be able to handle a normal load, specially in stereo when only two of them are in use. Tough call.

The more power the better your headroom. HK makes awesome receivers btw. Take a look at outlaw audio too. Their site is underwhelming but their products are solid and made by ATI in the US. I had a tree xpa-5 and found my outlaw to be smoother all around even though it's 75 watts less per channel. I use it on my 7's without issue but I plan to boot the low end with their 200 watt monos in the future just because I can haha.

Emotiva makes a solid product that's for sure and they are stylish too. The floor noise my xpa-5 drove me nuts and prompted my change. I am pleased with my purchase and happy to have an American designed, engineered and manufactured product

don't look at is a 4 db gain. look at as headroom for when you do need the power. when i had my rf-63, rc-64, rs-62, rb-61 7.0 setup i was watching ghost protocol one day after removing my xpa-5 from my setup and when stuff was crazy, blowing up and what not, it sounded terrible, strained, harsh. a couple weeks later xpa-5 back in the mix i decided to try that movie again. boom no strain what so ever. sounded like what i had become used to having that extra power that the emotive provided. to me if you have a couple thousand dollars in speakers, why not spend 5-700 on a used power amp and give them what they like?

I tried the XPA-5 and in 10 minutes of use figured out the noise floor was too much to deal with my LS's and I really couldn't hear an improvement in SQ over my Receiver. I then had a friend bring over his Rotel 1075 which had a little less power and the idle hiss was much less, but in that instance I figured out the first 3 watts of power was more important to me than the last 100+ or so. I guess Im getting old :)

• 3 months later...

You will never come close to putting 600 watts into any of the Klipsch speakers. The Crown may be a little overkill but, it should work without problems. With Klipsch, it is even hard to use the RMS wattage unless you are in a church.

Edited by derrickdj1