Advice On My New RF 7 ll's

JAKEETON

Hello everyone

I finally took the plunge and purchased a pair of these speakers after wanting them for some time.They are "A" stock in black and I got them for $2250 shipped which didnt seem to painfull.The wife doesnt agree of course.I've been using RF 82 ll's for my mains with a RC 64 ll that I purchased a few weeks ago.Im going to unpack them tonight hopefully and test them out.I dont have much time so I wont run any calibration or get that involved.I know it's a popular speaker and many of you are very familiar with them.Just thought I would ask what crossover settings you guys would suggest for my speakers and sub.I know it's an old question but Im just pumped for the 7's and thought i would see what you guys say.So i'ts the 7's for mains with the 64.Im goint to put my 82's in the back for my surrounds.My AVR is the Integra 40.3.Presently Im using a rw 12d for my sub until my next upgrade.When the wife recovers from the 7's and 64 Im going to get a SVS sub.Thanks for any tips they will be greatly appreciated.

Yeah you'll be making a big mistake if you leave your setup calibrated for your 82's and swap them in. They will sound not even close to how they should. Cause you audussey has corrected for the 82's. If I were you I would turn audussey off and then run the 82's full range no sub. Then swap the 7's adjust the levels so the output is the same. Otherwise it's not a fair comparison.

I run all mine as small. It's recommended to start 10hz above the frequency response of each speaker. Play around with different settings to see what sounds best to you. If and when you run Audyssey, it's ok to bump up the xo but don't go lower than Audyssey has set them to.

The combo that has worked best for me is:

Mains 60 hz

Center / Heights / Sides 70 hz

Rears 80hz

ymmv

And btw......Congrats!

Edited by Tasdom

A 1/2 octave can be a lot. The RC 64 is 62 Hz to 21 kHz. A 1/2 octave is around 15 so the xo of a system would be roughly 80 Hz if the RC 64 is the speaker with the weakest frequency extension. My RS 35's are 89Hz to 20 kHz. A 1/2 octave is around 22. Then my xo would have to be 110 Hz. That is an interesting concept. My avr has set the xo to 100 Hz many times and everything sound great with 100 or 80 Hz.

I just got the RF 7's hooked up this morning. My first thought was how impressive they look. They are absolute monsters compared to the 82's I was using. Those guys are my new surrounds. I only had a few minutes so I grabbed Roy Orbison's B&W Night blu ray and put that in the Oppo. I was really hoping I could tell a big difference from my previous setup. Needless to say I was blown away from the absolute start. The 7's just blow the 82's out of the water. I was kinda shocked at how much better they sound. Teamed with the 64 it's the best sound I have ever had. It's gonna be a great weekend listening to these speakers. Let me state the obvious and say Klipsch makes beautiful speakers that sound just as good as they look.

please please please recalibrate! your system still thinks it has a 1 inch tweeter and the 8 inch woofers. especially if you are gonna watch a movie. shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. give your speakers the little bit of time they deserve. i tried the cornwall as a center with out ever calibration and oh man it sounded terrible!

I have tried XO's from 50-100 and there is little audible difference. But, in theory not using the lowest xo can lead to less speaker distortion, less cone break up, better power management, and a better mid bass/midrange. Subwoofer localization should not be a paramount issues if time is taken to set it up correctly. People talk about blending the mains and sub but, most bass management scheme do this pretty well.