Modding my AA La Scalas to 2 ways

NBPK402

Volti does make some great-looking products, but I'm sure he'd defer to PWK as the real expert in speaker design.

I'm just suggesting you try your speakers with and without the space under them being open to the room, and choose whichever way sounds better to you.

• Like 1

Gotcha. :)

When I put them in the HT I am going to have a stage with a screen wall... I might just make a border along the bottom of the screen that will seal the bass bin bottom edge to it. If I do that the space problem will be moot won't it?

Well my wife, and I took a couple of days on a short trip, and Fedex attempted to deliver while I was gone... They called me due to a signature being required, and I told them to keep them at Fedex, and I would come pick them up on Monday. They said no problem but that they would be closed on Monday, and I could get them on Tuesday... Imagine my surprise when I receive a text today about one hour before we got home saying they were delivered! I figured a neighbor must have been home, and signed for them. When I got home I saw the attempted delivery tags but no parts. I asked my neighbors, and no one said they signed for them. I called FedEx, and they said I had signed for them! I told them that that was not possible as I had just got home from a short vacation, and they were claiming I signed for them 1 hour earlier when I was on the freeway heading home. They said they would enter a claim and I would be contacted so I contacted Bob, and he sent me the "Proof of signature"... I looked at it and whoever signed for it did not sign the way I did, and they even got the wrong spelling for the last name. It was interesting that they signed my first name in cursive, and then printed my last name, and still messed it up.

I hope that this gets straightened out soon as I really wanted to get the conversion done. At this point I am def not a happy camper!

I have ALL shipments come to my office/plant, because iv always worried about exactly the same thing. good luck with your conversion.

Actually, that's the "little" K510 horn. The larger K402 horn that's also used on JubScalas and nearly always on Jubilees is a bit bigger than a whole La Scala cabinet, at 41 inches wide and over 20 inches tall. It's the only instance I'm aware of where the tweeter is bigger than the woofer, quite a bit bigger in fact.

The picture you posted is of my original right JubScala. Last June, I bought a pair of La Scala IIs and promptly converted them to 510 JubScala IIs. The original La Scalas (with CT125 tweeters and Sonicaps) are now behind the sofa, serving as left and right surround speakers, displacing a pair of Heresy IIs.

This is my current right speaker. The LS2s are a definite upgrade over the original La Scalas.

Can you give me the dimensions for the horn, please? I am trying to see if I can make my top section to where i could go to the 510 without too much trouble later on.

Would these work for running the wire to the woofer? I was thinking of getting these and drilling a hole through the cabinet the size of the can and then putting a small amount of silicone around it and shove them in the hole. By doing this I eliminate one more connection break.

I decided not do do the whole speaker flat black and I have skinned the sides with an additional 1/4" of finished Maple plywood. I was going to finish up sanding the edges today but it is raining. :( Luckily I covered everything up last night with plastic. The sides will be Maple and, front, and rear will be flat black on the bass bin. As far as the top... I am looking at corian, granite, smoked glass, or mdf painted black. I am still tossing around as to whether or not I want to build a new upper box for the horn or have it displayed out in the open.

This is what I have so far on the mods...

The sides are Maple with the top, front, and rear black. The top I am spacing up 1/4" and I have a piece of MDF to try out the look. I might end up just leaving it be MDF and paint it black too... The other option is black marble with white veins in it. Not sure how much I want to fix them up as in a couple of months they will only be seen if you go behind the screen.

20140203_153133_zps12857824.jpg

20140203_153145_zps177a3ad2.jpg

20140203_153153_zpsc7dfe1bd.jpg

Once I get this part done then I will work on mounting the horns. Once that is done I will be able to get the other 2 done pretty fast.

I bet it is solid! Mine is only 1 1/2" thick on the sides only and 1 1/4" on the bottom. top and back, and it is getting to heavy for me to lift by myself with out the woofer, and we are talking just the bass bin!