A Little Quartet Help

jlfx64

Ok, two seperate topics here.

1. So, I suspect I have a blown subwoofer in one of my quartets. I'm getting horrible rattling sounds out of the woofer on lower frequencies, which isn't being mirrored in the other woofer. I haven't had a chance to really dig in yet, as we are in the middle of house repairs and getting ready for holiday guests. My sincere hope is that the issue is a minor tear in the cone that can be patched up rather easily. Somehow, I doubt that is the case. So, the options as I see them are:

a. Reconing - I would take it to a local professional or ship to anyone who offers the service on here.

b. Find an exact replacement. Hard to do, though there is one listed on Ebay that will cost over $100 shipped. Otherwise, I need to wait and find a part out or something along those lines.

c. Replace them both with different drivers.

I'm intrigued by option C and am curious to see if there are newer drivers out there that may actually increase performance. I guess my dream scenario here would be to find a relatively inexpensive set of speakers on, say, Parts Express that I drop right in and notice an immedeate improvement. (I know that is idealistic to the extreme, just work with me here!) That all being said, what are the important specs of the current model (K-10-K) that I would need to look to match in a potential replacement? I wouldn't be adverse to changing the screw hole locations, but changing the diameter of the woofer opening is out of the question for me. I am not adverse to options A or B, but for the money, C seems like it may be a better use of funds. So, anyone change out woofers on their Quartets lately? :unsure:

2. I noticed that Crites now has a new batch of the mid-range diaphragms in stock. Has anyone had a chance to listen to this new batch? Something I think I saw in another thread alluded to the fact that you may need to change your crossovers a bit to account for the changes in sound. It could be that I misunderstood the post, but does anyone know if that is true? I have also seen it mentioned in the past that the performance gains to the mids is much less noticable than TI in the tweeters. Given that the new diaphragms are $77 shipped, and the woofer issue above, I would be loath to commit extra funds for only minimal gains in performance (if that statement is true). Thoughts, feelings, opinions?

Edited by jlfx64

2. I noticed that Crites now has a new batch of the mid-range TI diaphragms in stock.

I do not have now, nor have I ever had any Ti mid-range diaphragms for the Quartet or any other Klipsch speaker.

Bob Crites

Edited by BEC

2. I noticed that Crites now has a new batch of the mid-range TI diaphragms in stock.

I do not have now, nor have I ever had any Ti mid-range diaphragms for the Quartet or any other Klipsch speaker.

Bob Crites

Ah, I see now that I assumed it was TI. My mistake! :blink:

Edited by jlfx64

I'd first figure out if it was the active or passive woofer giving you problems. It shouldn't be hard as you have a healthy donor speaker to use for diagnostic purposes.

Good point. I'm about 80% certain its the woofer, but I will confirm it before making any changes and report back.

In the other thread, the OP didn't just replace the diaphragms, he replaced the drivers -- which have titanium diaphragms (K53TI).

Ah, glad I asked! Thanks!

You may well have a rattle. But I doubt it is a flaw in the woofer. Woofers typically burn out and stops working or the voice coil becomes distorted and binds up, producing little bass.

A buddy of mine thought he had a bad woofer in his SK's. It turned out to be a cabinet door rattling.

Let me suggest, gently, that you find out what is rattling before reaching any conclusions. Smile.

WMcD

You may well have a rattle. But I doubt it is a flaw in the woofer. Woofers typically burn out and stops working or the voice coil becomes distorted and binds up, producing little bass.

A buddy of mine thought he had a bad woofer in his SK's. It turned out to be a cabinet door rattling.

Let me suggest, gently, that you find out what is rattling before reaching any conclusions. Smile.

WMcD

Thanks for all the replies and help guys!

I'm starting to buy into the rattle theory. There is no distortion that I am able to detect from the speaker at all when played at lower levels. It's only once the woofer starts really moving at higher volumes that the distortion becomes present. As stated above, if the speaker was failing internally, I would think the volume wouldn't impact the presence of the distortion if the speaker were blown. I don't think there is a rip in the cone anywhere as the the passive is still responding properly when I apply pressure to the woofer. I haven't had a chance to pull the speakers out and switch them yet because of work being done in the house and holiday guests arriving today, but I should be able to carve out some time this weekend. If it is rattle, are there any "usual suspects" that I should be checking for? Maybe a dried out or cracked gasket or something like that? Is this line known for having cabinet issues, as I know other lines have issues with cabinets?

I think you need the Crites titanium panels.

You're bad Dean.

Find out the panel that's giving you the problem and we'll go from there. Typically if it's a glued panel, you clean the old glue and re-glue. If it's a screwed on panel, remove the screws, replace the gasket and re secure. You can always try to re-tighten first though.

Cool, those will go good with my Crites titanium midrange diaphragms! :)

You're bad Dean.

Find out the panel that's giving you the problem and we'll go from there. Typically if it's a glued panel, you clean the old glue and re-glue. If it's a screwed on panel, remove the screws, replace the gasket and re secure. You can always try to re-tighten first though.

Will do, on a mission now.

Ok, bad news. I switched the woofers and the problem followed the woofer. The exact same distorted noise is coming from the active. It has a "rattle" feel to it. It is still producing bass and operating. It's much more noticable at higher volumes. I looked at the woofer itself and nothing seems to be out of place. I don't see any rips or tears. So, what do you guys think about replacements?

Also, any user feedback on the upgraded mid horn diaphragms?