Home Theater Furniture

mwiener

Does anyone have any links to Home Theater furniture? I was looking at having a custom cabinet built, but it has a 4K+ price tag.

I would rather spend the extra money on a progressive scan DVD and a Pronto remote. wink.gif

I am looking for a quality cabinet, mostly hardwood, that either is adjustable or the mfg can scale it to your requirements.

One company I have been looking at is Diamond Case http://www.diamondcase.com/.

Does anyone have any experience with them? There is no dealer near me to look at them.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hello,

You may want to look at "Salamander Designs" they have a somewhat modular system that can work with just about anything. The product has a modern look to it which may or may not suit your tastes. But VERY nice stuff.

J.

------------------

Guys,

Thanks for the URLs. I took a look, but most of the furniture will not work for me. I need a really large bottom cabinet to hide the sub. The lower cabinet door must be cloth for the sub. My wife would kill me on the perforated steel. I also want something to be under the screen of the RPTV where the speaker is, giving it the appearance that the screen is built into the bookcase.

I am still interested in what Home Depot has to offer, and I will take a look. HD really does do everything. wink.gif

I still keep going back to the Diamond Case one though. Wish I could see one.

Mike.

Not sure if you subscribe to Sound & Vision, but this month's (April)edition has a article on just what you are looking for. If you do not receive the magazine I would be happy to photo copy it and send you the article. Just send me your address.

I really appreciate the offer, but if you could just post the manufacturers names that would be more than sufficient. If you have web addresses, that would be fantastic. I would hate to think that someone spent money out of their own pocket to help me out. I am happy just to get a little of your time and knowledge.

Thanks,

Mike.

Thanks for all the info. It looks like I will still be going with a custom cabinet. Not much in the traditional furniture style that will accommodate my 61" Sony RPTV and my Velodyne CT-150 sub in the lower cabinet. Not to mention the Academy immediately above the TV.

The piece that is particularly hard to find is a cloth and wood cover to go over the base of the RPTV to give it that built in wall unit look. I think this is a hole in the HT furniture market. On the other hand I can understand the MFGs not wanting to build a unique cover for every RPTV out there. Diamond Case was the only MFG that I saw with this feature.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have to figure out how to trim 1K out of my custom cabinet. Looks like the wife will have to settle for less nick nack shelves..... You know I am not giving up a single component shelf. wink.gif

mwiener - Since you've settled on a custom built unit, in addition to my suggestion of checking out Home Depot, I would call 4 or 5 cabinet companies in your local area. Have a sketch of what you have in mind (with dimensions) and what your requirements are. Ask them to work something up and give you a firm quote/bid and references. Don't be afraid to let them know they're bidding against other companies and Home Depot. I think you'll be surprise at what you'll get both in terms of price and ideas. I did this in my last house and was very impressed with the outcome - and so were folks who saw the unit.

As for costs, obviously it's a factor. But if done right (as I mentioned in my last house), it won't look like an add-on and can actually become a selling point. You won't get all your money back, but just may recoup some of that $1K you're trying to cut out.

One last thought...if you're trying to cut the cost of the cabinet, consider having it done all in white. Wood can be less expensive since it's being painted over and the color will blend with any wall colors, window treatments, furniture, etc. now and in the future. This is the wife acceptance factor. And, once again, if you decide to sell the house, potential buyers won't be turned off by a woodstain tone they hate.

Just some thoughts.... smile.gif

Tom Adams

• 2 months later...