Watts and peak?

thelittleone

Hi! I'm planning to upgrade my surround setup, i currently have a pioneer VSX-d712 and quintet 5.1 surround

i just recently pick up a RF-82 in graigslist, it was so cheap so i bought it and decided to do an upgrade.

New receiver I'm planning on getting is Denon AVR-X1000

And I'm planning to buy a RS-42 in craigslist and probably buy a RC-62 for center

Now my question is, the denon has 175 watts per channel.

Will the RS-42 75watts with 300 watts peak will be able to handle it with no problem?

thanks

Ok... Too much power is better than having too little due to clipping and distortion is a myth, for various reasons.

Sure, clipping makes a square wave, which consists of high frequencies added on to the fundamental, but do the math and the power drops quickly with each harmonic. You'd have to be attempting to play a sine wave that happens to be close to the crossover frequency and clip it like crazy for the amplifier to generate really high power that would reach the tweeter; most of the clipping distorsion is still going to go to the woofer at sub-crossover frequencies.

Power kills tweeters. They generally accept much less power than woofers do, so if you have a 500W amp and keep cranking the volume because the woofer still sounds good, then at some point you will surpass the limit of the tweeter. On the other hand, do the same with a 3W amp and how much damage can you do? At some point it will clip and start to sound bad and you'll turn it down without damaging anything. Do the same with a middle-ground 100W amp and here's where the myth comes alive. Say your woofer is getting 100W and your tweeter is getting 5W and everything is good but at the limit of both the woofer and tweeter. You crank it past clipping by 6 dB, but the SPL isn't getting much higher because (1) the woofer is already at it's excursion limit and compressing and (2) the amplifier isn't giving it much more voltage excursion anyway because its clipping. However, most of the clipping power is going to the woofer at first harmonics, not reaching the tweeter. But the music program content reaching the tweeter has increased by nearly 6 dB and is now close to 20W (some of it clipping because it's riding on top of low frequencies clipping, but some of it not clipping in parts of the low frequency signal that goes below rail voltage). Opps, the 20W fried the tweeter. You'd blame clipping but actually you just raised the volume enough for the regular program material to fry the tweeter.

As for the argument that the coil stops moving because of clipping: It has mass and isn't going to stop instantanously when made to oscillate 100 times per second. Won't happen. It will distort like crazy but won't stop moving.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I see nothing wrong with your claims PSG. We are all here to learn and your comments were very well said, not argumentative and it is apparent that you are much more knowlegable in this area than I am. ;) I am going by what I have read over the past 20 years I've been into audio.

• Moderators

I'm of the opinion that I don't know it all. LOL I'm always welcome to learn new things and am ok with being incorrect. I want to know more today than I did yesterday and this forum has been a great resource to help us all do that. Appreciate your contribution to this forum.

Thanks Youthman. I'm sure someone will find something to argue with, and that's okay as long as we keep it to content and not personal. But I am not in it to get into an argument; thus my reluctance to post it.

Come on Pete, you know you want to go a couple rounds :P Do you like tube or solid state? Boutique wires or zip cord?????

Abuse with an idiot at the voulme control damages speakers, lol. Over excusion is caused by over driving a speaker and mechanical damage is done to the driver, usually the woofer. This can happen if to much power is applied to the speaker. Now, to little power? should turning down the volume to a very low level damage a speaker? No, so to little power is not the answer either, lol. Tweeter damage can occur when the voice coil can't be cooled. For example, a 100 w amp push to severe clipping is really pushing close to 200 watts. The cooling of the voice coil is ineffective under these circumstances because the traveling of the coil is not proportionate to the power and heat build up. A 200 w amp can push the voice coil 40% further which results in better air flow aroun the voice coil. The heat build up in the 100 watt amp fries the voice coil. The speaker/tweeter survives with the 200 watt amp.

Edited by derrickdj1