RSW 15 power

MoparBob

Maybe a lot, maybe very little. It all depends on the room size, source, and will it be the only sub in the system. I have a power console and can monitor the watts or amps used. At -20 to -30 from reference the power use is very small. When I had two subs at reference I could hit 17 amp on a 15 amp circuit (it safe). The breake trip point is 1800 amps and it is only a dynamic surge. I now use two 15 amp circuitss for 4 18 in. drivers. Everything else is on the same circuits. Normal use is around 2.3 amps. Now I have basically 4 sub and never exceed 5-8 amps at reference level. A lot depends on how much LFE is in the source and will the sub try to reproduce it. Limiters are used to prevent sub damage and ported /passive radiator subs are tuned to a certain LF and drop off quickly after that. This did not help answer your question, lol. :)

If you have it on a 15 amp circuit, you should be fine. The 2400 watt max of the sub most likely cannot ever be reached with normal use. If you want a 20 amp circuit, the breaker and wires in the wall will have to be replaced.

Edited by derrickdj1

Are you only using one sub? The increase in headroom from multiple subs is significant and everything is never under a strain. I am only using 1.7 amp now at -20 on the system. I have everything in my HT signature running. Unless the subs are doing good 10 to 15 Hz output the power use will not be extreme.

I'm running 2 RSW 15's, My son and pick me up the second one for Christmas off Craigslist Pueblo. I did have to cut back the power on my first one about 6 db maybe a little more. The living room that it's now is half the size of the theater room so I will be pushing harder when the theater room is finished. I thought 15 amp would be fine. I may run the wire for 20 amp but make it 15 amp for now. I have the wire so there is no extra cost since I bought 250 ft. to run 20 amp to the main rack and a 15 amp for the half rack next to it so I have both gauge wire. On running to 10 or 15 hz I'm going to try, as I have a RTA and will be tuning the room so I will be pushing them.

I will have to say once that I got them setup up that it was worth having a second sub. Thanks for your input

• Like 1

See what is recommend for the sub. There can be rare problems if I remeber correctly with equipment that is not rated for a 20 amp circuit. The current load may over drive the sub. I will try and dig that up. I am running four 18 in. sub drivers off of two 15 amp circuits and no problem with dynamic peaks. I think you subs also use limiters to protect the unit.

Edited by derrickdj1

I think this is the way it goes: If using a 15 amp appliance on a 20 amp circuit the appliance/sub can reach it limits without tripping the breaker and also the fuse rated to 15 amp can't absorb the extra current in this senario. This can results in damage to the appliance and potential fire hazard.

Hey Youthman, what size fuse is in the RSW 15. I also think for the majority users of 20 amp circuit everything will be ok. I was caution by the electrician that put my dual 15 amp circuits back in Nov. when I ask him to install the 20 amp circuits. He said the breaker may not trip in time if none of my gear called for a 20 amp circuit and the fuse would not absorb the extra current if something was overdriven like the amps or sub. I also remeber reading about this in the past. I guess the real issues is will it improve anything..

A 15 amp circuit will deliver 1800 watts and a 20 amp will deliver 2400 watts. I monitor my watts/amps and volts and the most I have ever hit was 1700 watt with two of the SS 18.1's and the rest of the gear in my signature. It is extremely rare for movies to have that much LFE. I have all the heavy hitter and this only occured with the movie The Grey which has some 5 Hz stuff. It never happen with my other sub because they did not even try to produce that part of the LFE due to the limiters.. Most port or band pass sub have a HPF to prevent the sub from trying to go below a certain point. An easy way to tell if the RSW call for a 15 or 20 amp outlet/circuit is the shape of the plug.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have not had any problems I was just looking for the amp draw to match the circuit for the job at hand. That is the piece of data that I can't find. 15 amp is probably good but now is the time when the walls are open and you are running the wires. At the end both may not be on the same circuit. as I'm hiding 3 other drops in the walls so I can find the best setup. In the small room they are in now they are between the 3 Corny's. In the new setup one may go to the back or to the side, but this the RTA will tell me.

The amp will be feed a voltage that the amp will amplify. A lot of people use the 20 amp circuit without problems. I was only pointing out what could happen on rare occasions. I personaly don't think you will have a problem with a 15 amp. Hopefully others will chime in with there opinion. A lot of people on the forum use 20 amp circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

You should be completely fine. I also have a voltage reader and I use 2 KA-1000 sub amps on my 4 THX ultra passive subs. The peak pretty high with some content but haven’t tripped the breaker. I have (2) 15amp circuits. I run my 2 Sub Amps off of one of them and I run my two Anthem Amplifiers an A5 and A2 off of the other just to be safe.

I ran an RSW15 for many years on a shared 15 amp circuit and never had an issue with the breaker getting tripped. I ran it hard plenty of times and no issues, the bash amp finally gave up and so I got a replacement, but never had an issue tripping the breaker. You will destroy the bash amp first, unless you have basic electrical issues.

• Like 1