PPSL Roadshow?

djk

I am working on a pair of PPSL adaptors for the ported LS and four 8s.

Would there be any interest in a roadshow demo for these?

A set of four of the Silver Flute cast-frame rubber-surround drivers run about $150 from Madisound, and it would cost about $150 to offer a well made plenum that would be a slide-in-and-bolt-up proposition for the LS.

If there was interest I would build an extra set for a roadshow.

The PPSL mod sounds very different than the stock 15" woofer, if you swap out one side and compare you will have a hard time believing the difference. The PPSL does not measure to go any lower than the 15", but it sounds much deeper (I assume because of the lack of distortion). If you do not like the sound of servo subwoofers (think of the big Velodyne subs), and how clean they sound, you will probably not like the PPSL mod.

The efficiency should be the same. That said, the original prototype sounded so much stronger in the LF that we wondered if the 15 (on the other channel) was working. It does not measure different though, one of those mysteries in life I guess.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/silver-flute-w20rc38-04-ohm-8-wool-cone/

Composite woofer (4 pcs), Re=3.7Ω, Vas=289.2L, Fs~30hz (will be a little lower in the cabinet), Sd=856cm^2 (same as a 15)

Carl Huff noted to me in a phone conversation that the bass response in Hornresp hardly changes at all with different port lengths. I verified this in Hornresp, even with a variety of drivers. The 7" ports seem to work the best for most people. I using flared port ends they should be a bit longer though, try making them longer by the thickness of one of the flares to start with. It has been suggested that only the non-flared length should be considered (unless you have a computer program that can model flared ports properly).

Guest David H

I might have to get another pair of Lascala's just to hear this.

I thought I saw a few pics of this setup on a previous thread. I would like to check them out again.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

I might have to get another pair of Lascala's just to hear this.

I thought I saw a few pics of this setup on a previous thread. I would like to check them out again.

Dave

Dave,

You can borrow mine. Have them in storage in Las Vegas, not too far from you. PM me if you like.

I'm good, but thanks for the offer.

Dave

I may send a proper EQ for the ported LS along with the drivers and plenum, that way the victim user can try it with and without EQ, and hear the difference. It sounds good without the EQ, but the low end just growls with it (if you have the program material).

Edited by djk

https://community.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/1009906/Belle_LATEST.pdf

It looks like the height of the opening into the doghouse will have to be enlarged slightly (about 1/2"), the door would still cover it completely. It might also be possible to build the PPSL plenum in two parts, and after sliding it into the doghouse, bolt them together.

• 2 months later...

I will be building the ported LaScala boxes this summer . djk, have you completed the PPSL with the Silver Flute drivers and listened to them in LaScala cabinets? If so, what were your impressions? I have to decide which configuration to build and really want your input.