France after D-Day...

Boxx

France after D-Day: Astonishin​g online archive of pictures shows the horror, devastatio​n and moments of humanity in the aftermath of the liberation by Allied forces.

I thought some of you history/photobuffs might enjoy this.... I did..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309473/France-D-Day-Astonishing-online-archive-pictures-shows-horror-devastation-moments-humanity-aftermath-liberation-Allied-forces.html

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 2

I once knew a paratrooper who'd participated in the pre-D-Day (101st) drops. He didn't share much about his experiences - but what he did share was pretty horrific. There's a high altitude recon photo of Omaha beach about mid day on the 6th of June. There's a black line along the shoreline which looks much like ants washed up on the edge of puddled water - they were dead or injured Americans. Recently I came across the private war diary of a WW2 soldier who participated in the Guadalcanal campaigns. You can see the tension in his handwriting on those days with active combat. And the combat was only part of the misery. Diseases were quite common and the work was very strenuous - he recounts 15 men unloading 109 tons of ammo. War ain't purdy - never has been.

There is a video recorded just after the liberation of France. French men were pulling a young man (teenager who had collaborated with the Germans as a spy and snitch) away from his family. They did allow him to say goodbye to his family before punishment. Terribly tough circumstances.

My grandfather use to all ways tell me stories about Omaha Beach, he was a MP I believe. He had other stories about jumping out of planes, and belly flopping them down(crash landing I guess). We have only seen one picture he had from WW II, and it was of another women. Good thing he wasn't married at the time, but who knows maybe I have a aunt or uncle some where over there.

Those pics of demolished town are devastating. Like some of the pics you see from natural disasters.