Crown D-45 question

CECAA850

isn't 1.0 > .775? why wouldn't it be able to drive full output?

Yes it is. Like I said, I really have to crank the knob and wanted to verify that my preamp was capable of driving the Crown full out. I knew my preamp max voltage but wanted to verify the Crowns needs.

Pretty much, assuming the voltage output was linear.

Just checked, mine's definitely not linear. You'd have to measure the voltage to tell for sure where you'r amps required voltage is in relation to the dial.

Something else occurred to me. My amp has been modded. It may (or may not) have changed the voltage needed to drive it.

Yes, correct, not linear, from wikipedia:

Audio control

Low-power potentiometers, both linear and rotary, are used to control audio equipment, changing loudness, frequency attenuation and other characteristics of audio signals.

The 'log pot' is used as the volume control in audio power amplifiers, where it is also called an "audio taper pot", because the amplitude response of the human ear is approximately logarithmic. It ensures that on a volume control marked 0 to 10, for example, a setting of 5 sounds subjectively half as loud as a setting of 10. There is also an anti-log pot or reverse audio taper which is simply the reverse of a logarithmic potentiometer. It is almost always used in a ganged configuration with a logarithmic potentiometer, for instance, in an audio balance control.

Potentiometers used in combination with filter networks act as tone controls or equalizers.

" It ensures that on a volume control marked 0 to 10, for example, a setting of 5 sounds subjectively half as loud as a setting of 10."

This is incorrect.

A log pot is -20dB at half rotation, that is about 1/4 as loud, not 1/2.

Preamps like the Marantz 7, Yamaha C2, and the Lampton-Zukauckas have a semi-log taper that is -12dB at 1/2 rotation. Experience has shown me this works better than a log control.

http://www.ssl.berkeley.edu/~mlampton/LamptonZukauckas.pdf

Edited by djk

still trying to grasp input/output impedances, voltages, dB's and how they affect one another.
A great place IMO to start looking is at the decibel.

That's the Rosetta stone. Aside from its formal definition, the decibel allows the math to jump from one unit value to another.

If there was one term I'd spend the most time on trying to grasp, first off would be that.

• Like 1

" It ensures that on a volume control marked 0 to 10, for example, a setting of 5 sounds subjectively half as loud as a setting of 10."

This is incorrect.

A log pot is -20dB at half rotation, that is about 1/4 as loud, not 1/2.

Preamps like the Marantz 7, Yamaha C2, and the Lampton-Zukauckas have a semi-log taper that is -12dB at 1/2 rotation. Experience has shown me this works better than a log control.

http://www.ssl.berkeley.edu/~mlampton/LamptonZukauckas.pdf

DJK,

You sir are correct. Perhaps you should edit the wikipedia entry. Spent some time today re reminding myself how volume controls work. Thank you.

Eric