My RF-7 ii 7 channel system

timdog5000

Well, I received my RF-7 ii HT a couple weeks ago. I originally thought I would wait to set them up for when I received my amp from Youthman(B&K 200.7) NOT!! I think after I had them unboxed that feeling left me in about 30 seconds!! (30 seconds may be generous) My first impression when I took them out of the boxes is that they are MUCH BIGGER than I even pictured. I was able to audition them in the local speaker store but in the big 15 foot ceiling room they didn't look as big. as I was hooking them up I sent a picture to my wife at work with my son standing next to one of them. I had a caption next to his pic saying "I'm a little scared to turn them on" BUT, I was just being coy, I COULDN'T WAIT to hear what I had in store for me. I started off with music and was a little hesitant to turn it up because my amp is only rated at 110 W and I'm doubting it really pushes that. Not to mention that I am without a sub since my former two subs are lacking with the new set up. I expected to be a little unimpressed because I know that myYamaha would make them sound brighter and that it was lacking in power, but the show must go on, After I listened to one or two songs only one word entered my brain, " HOLY SH**balls"!! I made the right choice! Using only the Yamaha it still sounded fantastic. I was hesitant about turning it up too much plus I could see the fatiguing complaint some have after listening to music for quite a while. I had a very busy weekend and really didn't get to listen a whole lot until I received my amp from Youth the next Tuesday. My amp arrived looking like a box out of Fort Knox! Youth really took a lot of time and care to send this thing to me properly to make sure no harm would come to it. I had the amp hooked up in no time at all after a trip back to work to get the power cord I forgot. The B& K made a world of difference as you can imagine. I could definitely hear the warmness that the amp brought to it after listening with only the Yamaha AVR. I also could hear the richness and fullness that it brought to the bass in movies and songs. Although I listen at pretty loud levels I'm still a little little hesitant until I get a subwoofer. The funny thing is the system sounds to to three times better than my last and my last system had to 12 inch subs. I cannot believe how much they are able to pressurize my room without a sub. however, I'm forever looking at every forum,CL and searchtempest for a new sub that I can use until I can afford to get the one I want in a few months. Well that's all I'm going to say for now as it was hard for me to pull myself away from the speakers at any free moment I have before after work. I knew I had to though because if it wasn't for the people on this forum and helpful hints they've given me and information I have gleaned. and phone calls to people during THEIR FREE TIME that they've given to help ME I would never have been able to set up the system to make it sound as awesome as it does right now! thanks everyone for your help, I'm looking forward to getting a sub and having another Pee in my pants moment I can report on! :)

• Like 1

You Got the amp power now! Run em large with no sub. No sense of spending a couple hundred in a little crappy sub to get you by for a few months. Trust me my 63's ran as large for months while I waited on which sub build i wanted to do in my living room. It's crazy how much bass they have. Congrats. Enjoy.

Edited by Scrappydue

You Got the amp power now! Run em large with no sub. No sense of spending a couple hundred in a little crappy sub to get you by for a few months. Trust me my 63's ran as large for months while I waited on which sub build i wanted to do in my living room. It's crazy how much bass they have. Congrats. Enjoy.

I watched the new Thor with no issues whatsoever and a couple other movies with no issues however I was watching Enders game and when the ship was taking off there was some ultra low LFE that I heard some minor clipping on and freaked me out. I turned them down immediately but have never heard another problem since then, I'm gun shy now.

• Moderators

Scrappy is correct. I run my RF-7ii's without a sub and they have a good amount of bass. You won't hurt them. Turn it up! If the speakers begin to sound harsh or begin to become less clear, back off the volume a bit as you don't want them to distort. I'm pretty sure though your ears will give out before that amp and your speakers do. :D

I know you are working on your basement but pics are always welcomed.

Just curious, are you sure you heard clipping or was it just really low notes being produced?

I can't be sure Youth I just know I freaked out and turned it down because I'll never be able to get another set of speakers like these. like I said I watched numerous other movies with no problems whatsoever and the bass sounded awesome throughout all of them.

Just curious, are you sure you heard clipping or was it just really low notes being produced?

I can't be sure Youth I just know I freaked out and turned it down because I'll never be able to get another set of speakers like these. like I said I watched numerous other movies with no problems whatsoever and the bass sounded awesome throughout all of them.

I was too scared to try to reproduce it :-)

you sure can. Hit sub yes! Boom. Doesn't matter if you got a sub or not. It will re route LFE to a speaker that isn't actually there.

Great! i'll do that tonight when I get home. I was listening at -8 . I think I need to get an SPL and set my levels though.

Congrats on the speakers timdog! I use 200 watt amps and have turned the 7's up to 0 on the avr with the speakers set to Large. I don't think I can hurt them even with deep bass, they will most likely just not produce it. I like running them as small xo at 80 and they still produce a lot of bass. The speakers are rated 250/1000 watts. The Reference Flagship is a monster of a speaker. :D When in doubt, turning it down is always a wise and safe choice.

Edited by derrickdj1

Set it at 60. 40 is pretty low still and -8 is pretty damn high. I wouldn't run any speaker set to large that loud on a movie. Music? Yes that's different. I've ran my 63's even a couple db over reference and they were fine with music but movie LFE is a whole different kind of monster. Even the rf-7 would struggle with high levels as that is just not what is designed to do.

Congrats. Are you getting a lot of air out of those ports? ( like a sub ). They can push a ton of air and not clip. I pushed them really hard with the eq way up on the bass. They never cliped or farted.

I've never noticed much air moving through my 7's ports, but maybe I don't have it turned up high enough. I run mine set to large and they produce copious bass.