Advice on an inexpensive amp to test speakers

omar4

Hi all, I need an amp to take with me to listen to some speakers I bought. Was thinking of a t-amp or something similar and under $50. Might use it on the patio or in the bedroom after that. I have no experience with these, but need something small and lightweight.

Thanks

Hi all, I need an amp to take with me to listen to some speakers I bought. Was thinking of a t-amp or something similar and under $50. Might use it on the patio or in the bedroom after that. I have no experience with these, but need something small and lightweight.

Thanks

Local Pawn shop or parts express.com.

A T-amp is what I use. They're nice as you can use a car battery or AC outlet to power them. Bring a I-pod (or similar with RCA's) and a couple sets of speaker wire and you're good to go.

Me three. Have several T amps with volume controls and either no tone contols or the ability to short them out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350709620982?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6379wt_2588

And

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-5A-120W-Watt-AC-DC-Power-Adapter-for-adapter-connector-2-1-2-5-Charger-PSU-/350865927526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b13d2d66#ht_3275wt_1088

This amp is less than 0.05% THD up to about 20W or so. You may use it with a 12V~24V supply, power out will be limited by how big the supply is. A 19V 5A laptop supply is very good with 4Ω loads, and will be even less money than the above linked 24V unit.

The maximum power out spec is for the 24V/5A supply into a 6Ω load at 10% THD (the smaller 20W amps are also rated at 10% THD, they are only clean (0.1%) below about 6W into 8Ω).

Edited by djk

When the Sonic Impact t-amp first came out, a friend picked up a couple and gave me one. The amp is quite impressive for its size and it turned a few heads when I'd pull it out to test a set of speakers. With this battery-powered, 10w/ch amp and an iPod or later, iPhone, I had a sound system in my pockets and used it to test Khorns, CW's, Altecs, Tannoys, etc and though I'd never describe the set up as "high-end sound", it did sound better than some of the sellers' home systems. I recall testing a pr of Tannoy's in the back room of Gramophone (a local audio shop) and I had a steady stream of salesmen, installers even a manager stop by to listen and ask me about the amp. The 10 minute test turned into a 45 min demonstration and I probably sold a dozen of the diminutive t-amps for Sonic Impact that day.