Room Measurements and Curves

jcmusic

I don't want to hi-jack canyonmans thread here,but here are some shots from today.My sub is only connected for HT use,not 2 channel where the sweeps are taken.The room is 18wx28dx7h.Khorns on 18' wall.I do not have tone controls on the aragon preamp,so it is interesting how flat and lifeless the music sounded before.This is some learning curve as to what measures right and what "sounds" right.I wish I had more time today to test,but everyone is home now and the house is no longer quiet enough.Let me know what youattachicon.gifsunday final.jpg think guys.Thanks again.

you should start a new thread about your graphs for suggestions. You mentioned hijacking his thread but that seems to be exactly what has gone on. Canyon man has an issue that others are trying to help and it is hard for me and I'm guessing others to read all responses when there is other completely different conversations going on. Thank you.

Thanks Scrappydue.

I didn't want to seem like the bad guy here but, you are correct he has for the most part hijacked my thread!!!

i have been trying to stay low key myself since I have ruffled some feathers lately but I remember you having issues in your other thread with side conversations.

I was excited that someone was testing the same time as me.I figured we could bounce ideas off each other.No biggie.Ill figure it out for myself.Gary thanks for the tips.

Another way would have been to PM me and then we could do the bouncing as you say!!! Like MG says just start another thread...

Could you label each picture with the configuration for the measurement? What speakers are playing, any processing, mic position, etc...

That dip at 80Hz should be fixed...and we can see some voicing issues up top too.

I did if you click on the pic and look at the bottom left of the pic you will see it, the first three are all flat. The ones with the subs are flat also, with the subs crossed at 80hz. The last pic that says Eq with subs is where I have pulled down the peaks and am using a HPF at 80hz on the mains and the subs crossed at 80hz. These are khorns with a 2 wpc amp...

Where is the microphone during those measurements?

Nearfield measurement from today.

These nearfield measurements reinforce my hypothesis of room modes. In the position where you are measuring the speakers, there are two room modes at work at the frequency of 78.5Hz (1,0,1 - L,W,H) and 80.4Hz (2,1,0). As stated before, these are predicted cancellations which you can only fight by moving the microphone, moving the speakers to different corners, or major construction.

It is good to see that the two speakers match up pretty well. I was curious about that!

Now back to the original listening position measurements and tests. Have you tried:

1. moving the LP a bit? A 12" microphone move should make a difference. There will be other room modes, but they should be less pronounced. Try that and measure. Then move back to the original listening position, and try #2:
  2. setting a delay on one of the speakers? As demonstrated by the individual left and right plots, the room mode is worse when both speakers are operating in concert. 2ms should make a difference. Measure and see if this is more or less effective than #1.

MG are you saying to use the delay in one channel and then measure that one only?

Set the delay in one channel and measure both speakers at once. What happened to the target curve at ~68Hz when you added the delay? Did it get better? You can EQ the 300-1000Hz down!

As i said earlier when i tried setting some delay it raised the mid area wayyy too high!!! Also new development!!! I may have discovered the issue, I will need to measure to be sure but, I am 99% sure I found the problem!!!

Be sure to let us know what you found.