In wall audio rack build thread suggestions

MichaelandKlipsch

Sounds like a plan. If you don't mind me asking what does the harmony run for ? I wonder if it works with anthem products?

Little pricey at 350 MSRP but I got one for 250 (brand new open seal) and sold my Harmony One for 100 here on the forum

Looks like they have a few left. I'm sure Anthem is included. You can check your devices on the Logitech website.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291100262593?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Michael, it's great that you think out loud via the forum. This is a great place, isn't it?

Something popped into my head. Ratshack sells these 4" 120 volt fans. I have one, and it is heavy and absolutely quiet. Maybe you could put one in back of your built-in and push the air out to the attic when the power is turned on or something like that? Here is a link to the fan. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102825. The people who reviewed it and said it was a little loud are full of doody. The one I have isn't at all.

Michael, it's great that you think out loud via the forum. This is a great place, isn't it?

Something popped into my head. Ratshack sells these 4" 120 volt fans. I have one, and it is heavy and absolutely quiet. Maybe you could put one in back of your built-in and push the air out to the attic when the power is turned on or something like that? Here is a link to the fan. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102825. The people who reviewed it and said it was a little loud are full of doody. The one I have isn't at all.

yes I love this forum and think out loud quite a bit :/. If you have a moment could you post a pic of your build and fan? Like to get all ideas together before taking the plunge.

You can run one of the newer Harmony that is RF(?) or bluetooth(?) I believe.

Or

If you are still doing construction, you can pick up a IR repeating system. This is the one I had in my old house and it worked great.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcdID=5&categoryID=Ingenious%20IR

Can't say enough about good ventilation for a closet setup. I overheated quite a bit at my old house. Ended up cutting a hole in the floor to the crawlspace, putting in a register with pantyhose over the bottom of it for super-low rent filtration and then using a small fan on the floor to keep air moving. It was pretty ghetto, but it worked.

This is a great thread because I am still on the fence about what to do with my gear once we remodel. I like having everything visible, but I also like having everything hidden and tucked away. I have the same options with putting the stuff in a wall between the room and a closet.

I think maybe a nice black out glass door over the gear or maybe splitting the gear up with amps mounted power strips in a pro rack separate from the AVR / disc player, etc? Tough choice to make. Either way, thermal management is going to be a priority.

don't judge me lol lots of blankets and a couple toys down in the theater right now. havent watched anything down there for a week or two so it hasnt been cleaned up from the last movie adventure with the kids down there. but there you go michael. simple rack. think it costs me about 65 total. was planning on buying a rack like an atlantic one but figured wood was way cheaper and just as strong as well as a fun father son project with my dad as he is a carpenter and building houses and commercial buildings since he was 16 years old.

• Like 1

My rack is pretty simple.

Frame it out with 2x4's 1/4" larger than needed for the 19" standard rack rails plus whatever finish material that will be visible behind it.

That gives you enough room to shim behind the finish material to get it perfectly plumb. Mine is 1/2 cabinet grade plywood.

Build the rack surround as a box and install it between the studs like you would install a door frame.

IMG_9901a.jpg

Rails were purchased for $2 each from "technology surplus" store locally.

IMG_6436.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie
  • Like 1

A pretty easy way to vent your rack area since you back up into the attic is to use one of these 120V inline A/C booster fans.

Put a standard air vent grill in the closet. Run duct to somewhere in your house you can dump it (hall etc) and put another grill on the output.

Put the fan on the output end so you can't hear it from the theater. You could put a small filter in the rack area if you have room for it.

Trigger the fan when the amp comes on.

ACV_9000.jpg

• Like 1

Already have a picture:

IMG_06351.jpg

Fan blowing straight out the back. That draws cool air into the front.

Wow i like that. Man mustang you are a killer dude. props!

edit:Years ago in my paradigm(monitor 7(they sucked crap seriously; $1400for 2 pair lol) then) years i had one very similar in dark cherry with book cases i bought then to match. I paid $600 custom built from suader for the main unit, really good deal at the time. I had a lot of issues with the partical board sagging. They did help with new parts and fixes but they always sagged. I made due with it . I ended up giving it away once i sold that house...

Edited by beeker

My rack is pretty simple.

Frame it out with 2x4's 1/4" larger than needed for the 19" standard rack rails plus whatever finish material that will be visible behind it.

That gives you enough room to shim behind the finish material to get it perfectly plumb. Mine is 1/2 cabinet grade plywood.

Build the rack surround as a box and install it between the studs like you would install a door frame.

IMG_9901a.jpg

Rails were purchased for $2 each from "technology surplus" store locally.

IMG_6436.jpg

Are you using metal rack shelves too? If not what are you using for shelves? If so do you have any vibration problems?

[quote name="Ron"

Are you using metal rack shelves too? If not what are you using for shelves? If so do you have any vibration problems?

I am using metal shelves. I had no vibration issues until I put the two 18's in an IB right next to it.

Tightening screws and filling all screw holes took care of the shelves vibrating. I still have the problem with the piano bench upstairs walking down the hall during every action movie, but at least I don't hear the shelves.

Run a bead of silicon between the rack rails and the enclosure. That is where vibration is giving me trouble since the rails were only attached top and bottom with lag bolts.

• Like 1

You might want to try some Locktite on the threads to stop them from working their way out... Just make sure it is the blue and not the red, or you won't get them out without a torch. :)

I am going to have my 1/4 pie bass bin right next to it and one of my DTS10 subs right on the other side of the bass bin. I like the idea of the metal strips though. Maybe I will head over to a surplus electronics place, and see what they have for a LAN rack for cheap. In my last house I bought a 7' tall 4 post rack with shelves for $100.

Edited by Ron

Hey Wake. I was hoping you would chime in since I have followed your thread from the beginning and I’m good friends with Mike (youth) on Facebook we talk about your handy work all the time. quite a craftsman lol. Thanks for supply the info on the rack rails and material. I looked last night and the place I want to install my rack is between 2 main support beams of the house. These support beams from the attic ceiling directly down towards the 3rd floor ceiling. (my theater is on the fourth floor as the only room up there which is completely surround by attic space. Now when the house was built I had a radiant barrier installed which keeps it about 30% cooler in the summer and 30% warmer in the winter. A wood enclosure with no fan should be ok if I leave enough spaced between shelves. I have access behind 3 of the walls including the main wall where my rack would go. I need to re-measure when I get home from work but between these main two support beams I believe I only have about 20”. I definitely don’t want to cut anything on these support beams but if I use those beams and then ½ hardwood plywood enclosure, it is going to be a little to tight and small for my amps. The a5, a2 and D2v are all 19” wide. Have to think on this.

Did you finish the wood yourself? Or did you buy it pre stained ? Looks amazing.

The wood on the walls and inside the rack area is cabinet grade Birch plywood. Pretreated and stained with Minwax Red Mahogany.

I make my own trim out of rough cut oak and layer different stains to make sure the oak and birch match since they each take stain differently.

Pre-stained...I am insulted. lol.

Hey Wake. I was hoping you would chime in since I have followed your thread from the beginning and I’m good friends with Mike (youth) on Facebook we talk about your handy work all the time. quite a craftsman lol. Thanks for supply the info on the rack rails and material. I looked last night and the place I want to install my rack is between 2 main support beams of the house. These support beams from the attic ceiling directly down towards the 3rd floor ceiling. (my theater is on the fourth floor as the only room up there which is completely surround by attic space. Now when the house was built I had a radiant barrier installed which keeps it about 30% cooler in the summer and 30% warmer in the winter. A wood enclosure with no fan should be ok if I leave enough spaced between shelves. I have access behind 3 of the walls including the main wall where my rack would go. I need to re-measure when I get home from work but between these main two support beams I believe I only have about 20”. I definitely don’t want to cut anything on these support beams but if I use those beams and then ½ hardwood plywood enclosure, it is going to be a little to tight and small for my amps. The a5, a2 and D2v are all 19” wide. Have to think on this.

The 19" opening is for the rack rails and opening only. It should be a snug fit, but that is only for the first couple inches. That is the visible part from the room. Behind it mine opens up several inches on each side for airflow and easy access.

For the rear access I built a small door and put a regular knob and hinges on it. Easier than trying to come up with some kind of cabinet enclosure.

The little doors they sell for attic access in gable houses would work well and are sometimes available at Habitat for Humanity stores.

As far as supports you should post some pics so I can get a better idea of what you are working with.

I will photograph room and opening for you. Whee did you purchase the Pretreated and stained plywood? I’d love to have some pre done than do it myself. I just had an idea after reading your post. If I make a larger cabinet past the support beam and make it around 22” wide and have the cabinet frame/support in-between the 19” beams I could just insert the 2 amps and pre amp from the rear cabinet door through the attic. That way the faceplate would meat nice and flush but not be to snug to fit through. I’d have to lug the amps through the attic but it would be worth it. the main amps and pre amp would need to go through the attic and insert from the rear of the cabinet but the rest of the equipment could go through the front. If I try to fit it in sideways and turn it they are heavy and most likely will get scratched up I presume. Hmmmm this could work. I can upload some pics over the weekend. I would have to assemble the enclosure in the attic space for a 22”w x 24”d x 72”h enclosure to fit through the 19”w opening. Where did you get the metal shelves? I’d like to go with the same shelves and rails. I may build the enclosure then assemble it in the attic and fit it into place/brace it up. Then cut the opening for the front and frame that out with the molding etc. I will shop for the wood in the morning. I can look for the rails and shelving next week. Wish I could do a marvel marathon like you before captain America Sunday but that is not going to happen lol. maybe and xmen marathon (without x3) before Days of future past this summer though.