Access to a good deal, what are your opinions?

timdog5000

I have a friend who is a Sunfire dealer and can get me a really good price on two Sunfire HRS – 12's. what are your opinions on two of the subs versus one PB 13 ultra? I would be paying one quarter of the price of the Pb 13. I know they're small subs but audioholics gave it a good review.

any and all feedback appreciated :-) thanks!

• Like 1

I have a friend who is a Sunfire dealer and can get me a really good price on two Sunfire HRS – 12's. what are your opinions on two of the subs versus one PB 13 ultra? I would be paying one quarter of the price of the Pb 13. I know they're small subs but audioholics gave it a good review.

Is that one quarter(for two) the price of one PB13U, in other words $500.00 for the pair?

If that is the case, I would say absolutely. Even if it was $500.00 each, that would be less than 1/2 price.

If you were to get these and you want maximum extension for HT, you must take advantage of boundry gain. Great for HT, can get boomy for music. Your room is on the large side of medium(3120 ft3) so you may be reaching the limit where you can take true advantage of boundry gain.

Will your friend let you demo them before buying? If so, what can you lose.

Bill

500, sure you can recoup money when you go bigger, and you will, 1000 for a pair? no way! trust us all when we say buy what you want. stop trying to cheap out lol. if you wanna save some money find a used svs ultra or used subversive. they both would destroy a sun fire. you have gone big on the rest of your setup why stop at the sub. after the center it is the second most important speaker in the home theater. completely changes the experience if its lacking compared to the rest of the setup. my opinion of course.

• Like 4

Bill

unfortunately he does not stock this model he would just be ordering them for me, he carries the model under it. I put down one fourth it's actually one half 1000 for both.

trust us all when we say buy what you want. stop trying to cheap out lol. if you wanna save some money find a used svs ultra or used subversive. they both would destroy a sun fire. you have gone big on the rest of your setup why stop at the sub. after the center it is the second most important speaker in the home theater. completely changes the experience if its lacking compared to the rest of the setup.

Man, scrappy, you're so right! I definitely am not TRYING to cheap out. just that my friend will give me four months to pay for the speakers can't get that with SVS. I need to stop being so desperate and just save for what I want! I don't do credit cards I cut them up 20 years ago when I had a wife who didn't know how to stop using them, and never went back. it won't take long to save it ,again, I'm just too darn impatient but if I wait I know I will be much happier. gosh darn it it sucks to do the smart thing. but you got a love people who want to see you be happy, instead of settling. thanks gentlemen!

Is that one quarter(for two) the price of one PB13U, in other words $500.00 for the pair?

If that is the case, I would say absolutely. Even if it was $500.00 each, that would be less than 1/2 price.

If you were to get these and you want maximum extension for HT, you must take advantage of boundry gain. Great for HT, can get boomy for music. Your room is on the large side of medium(3120 ft3) so you may be reaching the limit where you can take true advantage of boundry gain.

I think I would wind up wanting more, and I do not want to have to upgrade for a a while. Thanks for your help though

no problem buddy. i sold my svs ultras used mint for 1300 each less than a year old. so the deals are out there if your patient. and if your not well then just save up and buy new. you could aways buy svs off of amazon with an amazon card and do 12 month financing with 0 interests. just throwing it out there. as well as when you sign it up you get a 50$ gift card (sometimes 30$)

I would seriously save the cheese and go full out dual or quad 18" diy! buy a cheap 10 or 12 on clist to get you over if you need one till your done with the diy sub system cause when your done you will never want another sub again...guaranteed!

• Like 1

Not much respect around here for poor Sunfire.. I have owned a 10" sunfire subwoofer (not exactly sure of the model) and a SVS PB Ultra. The sunfire sub was a little monster, it didn't have as deep extension as the Ultra but it sounded fantastic. I bet two 12" HRS subs would have great frequency response and dig very deep.

I would say buy the sunfire subs (depending on the deal) and give them a shot. If you don't like them, sell them on Craigslist for what you paid and buy the SVS.

• Like 1

Room frequency response is generally greatly improved with more than one sub. I am not saying that the little sunfires will dig as deep as the SVS but they might sound better in the room.

The dual Martin Logan Abyss subs that I had were one of my favorite combos out of all of the subwoofer systems I have tried over the last 7 years. My point was that he would have nothing to lose by trying the Sunfires, especially at 1/4 their MSRP, probably could even make money off them if he wasn't happy with their performance.

Don't mind me, I like to play the devil's advocate more than I probably should:)

Or he could not waste 1000 on something most of us know won't keep up with an rf-7ii theater. Sunfire subs are for people who need small subwoofers.

K5, haven't you had the big rythmik sub? How can you even compare one of those monster sub to any smaller sub after owning that thing? To me after owning the duals Svs ultras, a subwoofer has to be pretty bada$s to make me think it's worth much let alone impress me.

I've only heard a couple sunfires and they both sounded good, however once the volume went up they both just ran out of steam. And that is something to expect out of a small subwoofer period.

My anarchy horn sub is fantastic. However above -10 they just are maxed out on output for extreme low LFE stuff

I am just saying Tim might be able to make money trying out the Sunfires. I have even read a couple of reviews comparing the HRS-12's with the F113's.... Might be a fun PAID experiment:)

I do still have the Rythmik but it's in storage until I move in roughly 6 months. You guys are slowly talking me into going down the DIY path.. I will probably have a cabinet builder build the cabinets so it's now really a DIY anyway but it sounds like a fun journey.

Sorry for being so difficult guys.