Trade offer that crossed my path......

My wifes dad recently offered me his mint RF-5s plus $500 cash for my RF-83's. Just curious about some thoughts on the subject. Im not married to the 83's and I have always liked the 5's. Any thoughts?

While that would be a pretty good deal, I would keep the RF-83's all day long. I hate to say it but I am so not a fan of the open grills and the crappy pegs that often break. That alone would make me keep the 83's. Don't get me wrong, the RF-5's are serious speakers with great sound but I think the 83's have the edge in all categories, especially aesthetics.

Bill

Edited by willland

My wifes dad recently offered me his mint RF-5s plus $500 cash for my RF-83's. Just curious about some thoughts on the subject. Im not married to the 83's and I have always liked the 5's. Any thoughts?

While that would be a pretty good deal, I would keep the RF-83's all day long. I hate to say it but I am so not a fan of the open grills and the crappy pegs that often break, that alone would make me keep the 83's. Don't get me wrong, the RF-5's are serious speakers with great sound but I think the 83's have the edge in all categories, especially aesthetics.

Bill

Funny you say that....the first thing I thought of were the magnetic grills on the 83's. Lol. His grills are perfect with all the pegs but I do hear whats your saying!

Edited by philly0116

• Moderators

Take the deal, with the $500 buy, fortes, Quartets, Hersey's, or a rough pair of Cornwall's.

OK that's just me :ph34r:

When the father in law here's them give him a good deal, keep moving up the chain and let dad pay for it ! :D

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

Take the deal, with the $500 buy, fortes, Quartets, Hersey's, or a rough pair of Cornwall's.

When the father in law here's them give him a good deal, keep moving up the chain and let dad pay for it ! :D

Lol. Now this guy has his thinkin' cap on.

• Like 1

The RF-5's are one of my favorite Klipsch speakers for their very natural and balanced sound quality. There is no way I'd consider trading mine for RF-83's, the RF-83's may sell for a higher price but I prefer the RF-5 for its sound.

However room size and other factors may play a part as well and if you have a large room that might change things. I'd say get him to bring the speakers over to compare, then decide.

BTW I am the original owner of my RF-5's the speakers and grills all look like new just as the day I bought them, I've never ever thought that there is any problem with the grills and don't really understand why others do, I guess I just like to be more careful and take care of my stuff.

Wow philly0116....hmmmmm

A lot of goood options mentioned. I liked the 83's as much as rf7's and near as much as rf7ii's...I have to admit I also like the smaller rf5's....

Thats a real tough choice...I really cant see how you could lose considering your not attached to the 83's and honestly for music I may take the rf5's over 83's in a small to mid sized room. I would ask another $100 make it $600 and make the trade then indeed invest that money in a new good deal on some heritage style klipsch as dtel mentioned no doubt....

I really would have to draw the line there myself...another $100 or no go...thats what i would estimate the value to make an even trade...$500 is close but never take the first deal. And $600 sure does make that deal easier in my mind. Good Luck my friend!

• Like 2

Wow philly0116....hmmmmm

A lot of goood options mentioned. I liked the 83's as much as rf7's and near as much as rf7ii's...I have to admit I also like the smaller rf5's....

Thats a real tough choice...I really cant see how you could lose considering your not attached to the 83's and honestly for music I may take the rf5's over 83's in a small to mid sized room. I would ask another $100 make it $600 and make the trade then indeed invest that money in a new good deal on some heritage style klipsch as dtel mentioned no doubt....

I really would have to draw the line there myself...another $100 or no go...thats what i would estimate the value to make an even trade...$500 is close but never take the first deal. And $600 sure does make that deal easier in my mind. Good Luck my friend!

Bingo, Beeker! My father in law gave me $600 and his mint 5's. The 5's are great speakers. No regrets here!

• Like 1

Wow philly0116....hmmmmm

Bingo, Beeker! My father in law gave me $600 and his mint 5's. The 5's are great speakers. No regrets here!

Very nice! I really do feel that makes it fully even. Man them 5's in my opinion in a regular room sized are perfect(better or as good as anything)....nice deal!

• Like 2

You're just trying to convert him to heritage. :emotion-22: