Klipschorn short horn?

Cosmic_surfer

Well yesterday my friend pulled the trigger and me and him drove 3 hours to a small town in Kansas and got some short horns that are circa 1962. We were told by the seller that these are a rare variant that has a Jensen 15" woofer. The set sounded excellent, and aside from a few cosmetic blemishes, look very good for a 52 year old speaker set.

Does anyone know what the specs of these speakers are? What kind of watt rms should we feed them? Also, is original speaker cloth a big issue, or is it something we can redo without affecting the overall value of the speakers themselves?

Also purchased was a marantz 2240 that seemed to power them nicely and didn't sound nearly as fatiguing. Sadly when we plugged it in and ran it ourselves, we found the main channel has a volume issue (the volume doesn't go down and is extremely high) the the right channel started going out. When we fiddled with the input wires then the marantz powered off and did not turn on again... It is a beautiful amp and I hope we can save it.

Edited by Cosmic_surfer

Wish I could answer your questions, but not familiar with these speakers. I'd assume they take very little power to sound good. Please post pics if possible. Would love to see them, and you will get more responses to your concerns.

I did look at the short horn on the klipsch website, it doesn't really have any specifications for the actual speakers except for the ranges of the speakers.

Does it look like the Klipsch Shorthorn? It could be so many things.

• There was something called The Rebel that Klipsch made; it was a bass reflex, so, IMO, it may have extended slightly lower in the bass, BUT probably did so less cleanly than the Shorthorn (with more frequency modulation distortion that would potentially affect the sound up to where the mid/tweeter took over..)
  • EV made several horn loaded speakers that looked like Klipsch. A relatively small one was the Aristocrat.
  • The Shorthorn with the K-77 tweeter (or T35) will sound better than the one with the University tweeter. Paul Klipsch called the University tweeter "sad." The K-55-V mid driver is probably the best midrange. The whole speaker is probably VERY efficient, but probably doesn't extend very low into the bass below about 60 Hz.

We need the picture.

Edited by Garyrc

d193b6b9c8f28f3a44900e56f0f55c24_6350422

The three-way Heritage Series Shorthorn 15 was first introduced in 1956 and manufactured by Klipsch until 1965. While no longer in production Shorthorn 15 model loudspeakers are still owned and listened to by Klipsch fans around the world as part of two-channel audio and home theater surround sound systems. To connect with other people who are passionate about audio and interested in Klipsch products visit our open forum bulletin board.

TWEETER: Phenolic diaphragm compression driver, originally the University 4401, changed to the K-77 MIDRANGE: Originally the University SAHF

Later the K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver WOOFER: 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone / folded horn-loaded ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Plywood FINISHES: Walnut, Mahogany, Dark Mahogany, Prima Vera Built From: 1956 BUILT UNTIL: 1965

http://www.klipsch.com/shorthorn-15floorstanding-speaker/details

Cosmic,

I've often complained that people really need to cut down the size of photos. It has gotten worse because more and more cameras and even cell phones make the high resolution photos everyone loves.

I think you're asking how to reduce the size of the photo file.

You can use a complicated photo editing program. But the easy way is to use "Paint" which you will find as an accessory program in all versions of Windows. Try "all programs" then "accessories" then "Paint."

Open up the photo in Paint. You will find, probably, that it can't be seen entirely on the screen and you have to scroll around.

Now, depending on your version, go to "resize" or "stretch-skew." We're not going to stretch or skew, just un-stretch.

You'll see a menu which is set to 100 horizontal and 100 vertical, which means full size. Replace the 100 with 25 and 'enter' as a first try. You should see that now the entire photo can be seen. I'm sure you get the idea - maybe 30 and 30 will be better. Experiment.

Of course if you reduce to 25% on each axis it is 1/4 on each axis or 1/8th the original size in pixels. That roughly translates to file size reduction.

If you really want to post something in high resolution it is best to convert it to a .pdf file and attach it to a post (though it will not show as a graphic on the forum, just an attachment). I use free ware Bullzip printer. Any file can be be converted to .pdf using the Bullzip printer. After installing Bullzip you will find a printer on your system called Bullzip. Just print the document/photo/graphic using the Bullzip printer. Your system should open it in your Acrobat Reader. Then you can save it as .pdf.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

I'm very familiar with size reduction on computers, i just didn't know if the smart phone had gotten smart enough with photo editing.

But yes, the short horn looks exactly as pictured on the klipsch website. A nice klipsch speaker from a near lost era. My family gave me some weird looks when I showed them the speakers, as far as they are concerned the old beast is an out dated gimmick... Sad

A modest 12(or less) watt tube amp no doubt should be your goal...

EDIT: NICE SCORE! VERY NICE!!

EDIT AGAIN: an old western electric would be sweet matching it...even an eico or fisher or knight or the like would be very nice...

Edited by beeker

But yes, the short horn looks exactly as pictured on the klipsch website. A nice klipsch speaker from a near lost era. My family gave me some weird looks when I showed them the speakers, as far as they are concerned the old beast is an out dated gimmick... Sad

On one hand, It probably has better transient response and better dynamics above about 90 Hz, where most drum impact is, than anything they have, or have heard in a home! As someone said, this can be done with an honestly rated 12 watt RMS amplifier, but, if you are sticking to solid state, an honestly rated 100 watt, good sounding, amp may be best.

On the other hand, Klipsch discontinued it, back when the company didn't often discontinue speakers, in favor of the La Scala, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn.

Edited by Garyrc