How Many Here Use a VPI TT

jcmusic

Years ago I used a HW 19 jr with upgraded platter and bearing originally with an audio quest arm and later a modded rega rb 300

Nice table nice arm.

Now using a clearaudio champion level 2 with origin live encounter arm

New TT has been ordered. Being built as we speak a ptp audio solid 9. Cannot wait for it to arrive. I intend to use the origin live encounter on that table as well.

Josh

That should be a KILLER combo Josh, mmmm idler drive, very happy for you! The Encounter is the 9.5" version right? You would have to go with the solid 12 for the longer version arm?

Go Niners!

Hello Jordan

Yes it should be killer! The Encounter is 9.5". The Solid 9 is 9 to 10 " tonearms. I toyed with the idea of going to a 12 inch but I really like this arm. I owned a Lenco years ago and recently have been doing a lot of research on them because the idea of idler drive just makes sense to me and Lencos approach seems to me to be the simplist execution of it. Peter Reinders updates also seem to make a lot of sense. Dont want to hi jack a VPI thread so when it arrives I will post impressions etc in a dedicated thread.

And yes Go Niners! Looks like a great draft, but you never know! You gotta trust Balke and team as they have a pretty good track record. Still looking for a little more speed in the reciever pool!

josh

Edited by joshnich

VPI classic II and swap between Soundsmith Zephyr and Dynavector 20X2H.

can you describe the difference you hear between the two cartridges?

The Zephyr is more detailed and neutral, while the Dyna is slightly more rolled off on the highs with a fuller low end. My preference is the Zephyr.

Ok thanks brother!!!

No problem, hope I helped. I have some serious envy of your Korneff 45, I've been on the hunt for one for a while now. I have had chance to email back and forth with Jeff and he is a very nice guy.

Well thanks Sprinter 1104 I appreciate that, yes they are hard to come by and Jeff rarely builds them anymore!!!

VPI Scoutmaster with a Classic 3(JMW 10.5i)tonearm and a Dynavector XX2-MKII LOMC cartridge. Anti-skate device removed. 1.95 grams VTF. VTA is a knob rotation and a half below parallel(top of the cart.). So, ever so slightly down at the backend of the tonearm.

Thanks jorjen that is exactly the info I was looking for, great reply thanks again!!!

Years ago I used a HW 19 jr with upgraded platter and bearing originally with an audio quest arm and later a modded rega rb 300

Nice table nice arm.

New TT has been ordered. Being built as we speak a ptp audio solid 9. Cannot wait for it to arrive. I intend to use the origin live encounter on that table as well.

Josh

That should be a KILLER combo Josh, mmmm idler drive, very happy for you! The Encounter is the 9.5" version right? You would have to go with the solid 12 for the longer version arm?

Go Niners!

Hello Jordan

Yes it should be killer! The Encounter is 9.5". The Solid 9 is 9 to 10 " tonearms. I toyed with the idea of going to a 12 inch but I really like this arm. I owned a Lenco years ago and recently have been doig a lot of research on them because the idea of idler drive just makes sense to me and Lencos approach seems to me to be the simplist execution of it. Peter Reinders updates alos seem to make a lot of sense. Dont want to hi jack a VPI thread so when it arrives I will post impressions etc in a dedicated thread.

And yes Go Niners! Looks like a great draft, but you never know! You gotta trust Balke and team as they have a pretty good track record. Still looking for a little more speed in the reciever pool!

josh

Josh, That was way cool of you to be mindfull of my thread thanks. Wish there were more around here that thought like you!!!

Nice table nice arm.

Josh

Go Niners!

Hello Jordan

Yes it should be killer! The Encounter is 9.5". The Solid 9 is 9 to 10 " tonearms. I toyed with the idea of going to a 12 inch but I really like this arm. I owned a Lenco years ago and recently have been doig a lot of research on them because the idea of idler drive just makes sense to me and Lencos approach seems to me to be the simplist execution of it. Peter Reinders updates alos seem to make a lot of sense. Dont want to hi jack a VPI thread so when it arrives I will post impressions etc in a dedicated thread.

josh

Josh, That was way cool of you to be mindfull of my thread thanks. Wish there were more around here that thought like you!!!

Sorry CM if I kind of steered your thread a little off topic. Not my intention. I get kind of fired up when folks start talking turntables. ;)

I am pretty into the whole VPI thing. Lotsa years foolin' with them. If you have any other questions or need further help, just give me a shout. More than happy to help in any way I can.

I have three table setups with various Klipsch speakers, my main system consists of:

VPI Scout w/ JMW Tonearm and Dynavector 20XH Cart (sitting on a Boo's 18x24" butcher block which itself rests upon 4 x washing machine anti-vibration pads)

Lehmann Cube Preamp

Marantz SR7001 (7.1 HT but puts out GREAT clean power)

Speakers: Front A: Cornwall 1.5s w/ Crites diaphragm upgrades Front B: Heresey III (I run this in A+B equal power and sounds phenomenal!) Surrounds (KG2) and Center (Academy) and Sub (Paradigm Servo 15a) are disabled when listening to vinyl.

This setup is amazing, I really can't say I've ever heard Zappa, Slayer, Maiden or Zeppelin sound better. @fenderbender can attest to that!

I recently upgraded from the Dynavector 10x5 to the 20xH and it made a WORLD of difference. There is a blackness I've NEVER heard before (isn't that the point?!?!?!?) in between the tracks and there is a separation of the instruments that sounds natural. The biggest wow factor was listening to Skynard's Second Helping LP, I sat back in the chair, closed my eyes and was instantly taken back to my first concert that I could remember at some outdoor amphitheater in Cuyahoga Park... it sounded that god damned good!

Def. go with a nice Dynavector on a VPI if you listen to rock, nothing sounds better IMHO.

Interesting note from my guy that I deal with when he attempted to become a VPI dealer so I could buy one from him.

VPI , just told me they are not only Not adding new dealers they are cutting off a few
dozen existing dealers for internet sales so NO VPI

• 1 month later...

Guys I wanted to follow up on this thread, I ordered and got the Mint Tractor and set up my backup cartridge while my Dyna 20X gets an upgrade. anyway the Mint is awesome my backup sounds as good if not better than my Dyna did unbelieveable!!! So now I am back into the complete setup thing again, checking the SRA/VTA VTF and Antiskate all for which makes a better sound!!!

Jay

sold all my tables but I had several over the years, VPI TNT 3,4, & 5 as well as 5hotrod, had the aries 1, & 2, the Clearaudio champion level 1 & 2, the Basis 1400, I had the hyperspace (75 pound platter).........................last and best table hands down was the Maplenoll Ariadne air bearing platter and arm 60 pound chunk of lead for a platter

arms i used were Graham 1.5, 2.0, & 2.2, Jmw 10.5 and 12, SME 4, & 5, and the maplenoll air bearing

TT were fun............................Now I am strictly Digital :(

I did not mind selling the Turn Tables, selling the vinyl is what hurt me.....................I started with about 7000 albums and sold those to move to a new vinyl collection of all high quality vinyl

I had roughly 800 albums mostly 180 gram and higher some MFSL, DCC, half speeds etc... these are the ones that hurt to sell, most sold to forum members the rest on ebay :(

I tried to order a Mint Tractor but it turned into a nightmare so I gave up , its not clear to me on how he wants me to measurer the arm .

Let me know if I can be of help if you still want to get one???

Jay

that would be great

I tried to order a Mint Tractor but it turned into a nightmare so I gave up , its not clear to me on how he wants me to measurer the arm .

I would imagine Yip wanting you to measure the distance(in millimeters)from the center of the spindle to the pivot/needle bearing tip with arm off. He should already have the effective length of your arm. If it is the stock arm on your Classic2, should be a tapered10.5 type with a bearing to Unipivot distance of 258MM according to VPI. Conflicting specs do exist however(probably why he wants an actual measurement)so I would measure yours yourself. See link below.

http://www.vinylengine.com/vpi-arm-data.shtml

Does it have the VTA on the fly dial? VTA on the fly is the only difference between the Classic 1 and 2 to my knowledge. If it has VTA on the fly I believe it would be the Classic 2/JMW 10.5 tonearm. Is it a tapered or straight arm tube?

How was his question on measurement worded exactly? You can shoot me a copy of his email if you want and I will try and help along with Jay. I sent Jay in the direction of the MintLP and I believe him to be very happy.

Edited by jorjen