Placing Khorns in a different way ?

Daan

A question for those who possably have some experience with this;

What if you don't have corners in a room to place the Khorns in ,but instead lay the basshorns on their side on the floor against the wall ?

Theoretically this would be the same as putting them into corners, only now using the wall and floor as a corner.

Placing the mid/high section on a shelf at the right hight [ear level].... would that work ?

Thanks,

Nico

Edited by nico boom

If the bottom of the cabinet is not against another wall then the bass horn would be radiating into 1/4 space not 1/8 space. Would it make sound? Yes. Would it be like if it were in a proper corner? No.

Edited by babadono

A question for those who possably have some experience with this;

What if you don't have corners in a room to place the Khorns in ,but instead lay the basshorns on their side on the floor against the wall ?

Theoretically this would be the same as putting them into corners, only now using the wall and floor as a corner.

Placing the mid/high section on a shelf at the right hight [ear level].... would that work ?

Thanks,

Nico

set up properly it would give you two walls but not the corner so a very good chunk but not all. I don't know to what extent the corner with its top (ceiling) and bottom (floor) corner contribute si I have no idea what amount or percentage loss you would have with out them. I think a crude gurss would be 66% of proper corner placement would be a reasonable guesstimate. Best regards Moray James.

PS: University designed a version of your horn to be mounted either in a corner or along a wall just as you have suggested.

post-44375-0-54980000-1400269321_thumb.j

Thanks babadono and Moray for your replies.

I was asking this for a friend who thinks about buying Khorns but does not have proper corners. When he asked me about it I could not give him a proper answer; I'll advise him to either close the backs if he buys theKhorns ,construct false walls like PWK suggest in his manual, or go for a different system.

Moray; thanks for the suggestion about the other version of the University Classics. After listening at my place, this friend wants a big hornsystem as well and Khorns are regularly for sale here in The Netherlands. University's are nowhere to be found....one of the reasons I'm so happy that I found mine.

We are going to look at a set of K-C-FB Khorns tomorrow which are affordable and can be adapted to suit his needs.

He's has put the [already big] speakers he currently has, up for sale and has trouble, so he says to get " big hornsystems" out of his mind haha. It's addictive !

He needs the backs enclosed or wings. Additionally some folks take the tops off. The tops are a portion of the horn (at least the bottom plate). Make sure they are kept on or a similar piece of wood is used to complete the horn for best response.

He needs the backs enclosed or wings. Additionally some folks take the tops off. The tops are a portion of the horn (at least the bottom plate). Make sure they are kept on or a similar piece of wood is used to complete the horn for best response.

Thanks for your reply; does it make any difference wether he closes the backs or use wings?

I have seen the wings are much wider [ about one metre from the back] ,than the closed backs on the 6th Anniversary Khorn for example.

Closing the backs seem to be a incomplete solution compared to the wings advised by PWK in the Khorn manual, in that they have to stick out at least 25inch from the grilles on each sides?

Forgive me if I overlook the obvious, just want to be sure of what I'm starting and the two methods seem to be so different.

At this moment I have bought the K-C-FB Khorns since my friend's made a small misstake.... he did not tell his partner. [ooops]

If closing the back is really enough to make these horns work, I'll do that so that there is a chance my friend will be able to get them into his household. It is a rather "compact" solution compared to the wings IMO.

Edited by nico boom

What if someone wanted to lay one on it's side and use it as a center channel? That would be perfect for my situation (except for finding a single match for my Khorns) How much of a bottom (the side now in this configuration) would you need to put on it to make it work? would it need more than a copy of the lower plate on the top horn section? That would be easy to do.

bobdog,

Interesting idea. Don't know the answer. Someone will have to do it and see how it sounds, maybe take some measurements. I guess were not expecting the same bass response from a center channel as the L and R mains.

What if someone wanted to lay one on it's side and use it as a center channel? That would be perfect for my situation (except for finding a single match for my Khorns) How much of a bottom (the side now in this configuration) would you need to put on it to make it work? would it need more than a copy of the lower plate on the top horn section? That would be easy to do.

Ask and you will receive.... :D

Q-Man did it many moons ago.....

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/37177-k-horn-center-started-today/page-1

I'll bump the thread to make it even easier.

miketn