Solar freaking roadways........

oscarsear

I like the idea, but I think it is still too expensive to do... Plus you have to deal with all the semis driving on them. How long do you think they will last with the semis driving on them all day, and night? I think it might be better to use them on sidewalks. Here is another possible problem... http://falkvinge.net/2014/05/26/solar-roadways-please-learn-from-oculus-mistake-and-become-a-co-op/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Falkvinge-on-Infopolicy+(Falkvinge+on+Infopolicy)

YEH,,,NOW THEY WANT TO SEND COLONYS TO MARS,,, WHOs GONNA FUND THAT INTERPRISE,,, HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT,L COST TO SUPPLY THEM WITH TOILET PAPER,,, $ 200 BILLION,,,,GUESS WHOs GONNA PICK UP THAT BILL....

Isn't the challenge with solar the efficiency of the system, not where to put the panels? If we need to keep pushing the envalope to make solar farms more efficient (just like any technology that drops in price as it is developed and improves), how will a road be more efficient?

We deparately need to move in this direction, but this project looks doomed to fail for so many reasons.

I am not an expert on the subject but as a mental exercise I would say it is more efficient for one because it serves a dual purpose. Energy, and a road. Plus if it works, a much better road, especially for keeping clear of snow and ice. Two---it should be more efficient because people live and work near roads, making the length of transmission less of an issue than a field out in the middle of nowhere. Three, if the panels are sturdy enough for a road, they are way less likely to suffer hail damage, which is a very big concern in much of the country. Conventional rooftop panels are susceptible to wind and hail damage. So, without worrying too much about the energy implications, a superior road system is worth it on its own. Our economy depends heavily on roads and the infrastructure of roads and bridges is in serious need of a major overhaul.

If the current efficiency rating can be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of collectors, why worry about it? On the margins I could see why, for certain places that see little sun, but there are other sources which can be combined, such as wind, geothermal, and even good old fashioned natural gas (although the extraction process so far is a potential ecological nightmare, there should be a way to fix that too).

• Like 1

Interesting comment. I did not think about hail. We have brittle tile roofs here and they seem to do very well. But they are very heavy and get very hot (which makes them a great place for solar panels).

I am focusing more on the fact that these things will get really dirty (brake dust, etc.) and the load cycle that roadways see. Every time a car or truck drives over a point on the road, the road is loaded and unloaded very quickly with a very heavy weight. Just seems like a bad place for transparent panels.

I do commend them for pursuing solar, which, given enough time and research, will become much more efficient. There is a solar technology that uses artifical photosythesis that has the potential to be very cost effective and adaptable to many surfaces.

I did some research for a utility company years ago on decentralized water treatment (meaning treating wastewater right at homes, not at a central plant). The potential of this is huge in the savings on infrastructure costs. The same should apply to power generation. Expect the power companies to resist this quite a bit. If thsi catches on, people who can afford it will generate their own power. People who cannot afford it will have to buy from the power company, possibly from equipment located on their property.

Solar energy right now seems like that new startup car company. Dont buy into it just yet. Just not really ready for prime time. I just don't believe solar energy is going to provide enough power for the standard of living most of us are used to any time soon.

Just looking at the devices in question road noise and safety for motorcycles would seem to be critical problems. That dimpled surface would be real noisy and perhaps directional for smaller tires (think asphalt paths from studded tires). As for other concerns they're not saying the stuff is impervious to dirt or damages and it will have some maintenance and upkeep needs. But, just think of the savings in support not required for snow and ice removal. Think of safer year around driving. They'd also seem tailor made for upcoming self navigation vehicles. Instant road messaging. The roster of benefits is impressive.