(So here I sit) thread now is help with TT setup

USNRET

You said the table is level, Where did you measure level at, plinth or platter or both ??

I started with the "2 quarter" gap at the isolators and then adjusted with a level on a sacrificial album and checked at several degrees of rotation followed by checking the plinth. I re-check with a bubble level made to installed satellite dishes, sorta like the old school tire / wheel bubble balancer.

post-19886-0-47140000-1401636460_thumb.j

yea that's the perfect level and it is most important that the platter be as level as possible, When you have some down time I would try loosening the arm base from the plinth turn it a bit back and forth to make sure it is seated very well on the plinth and then tighten it evenly and recheck anti skate

also we need to remember that your cart is brand new and though lots don't believe in the break in theory, I found it especially true with a cartridge. the cant suspension will settle in a bit, as well as the electronics

I wish I was closer, I would love to hear the setup..................SO MUCH POTENTIAL :D

Edited by joessportster

When I used the tool, you remove the arm wand, you loosely mount the cart, you hold the tool over the cart screws, You flip everything so you are looking straight down at the cantilever stylus, you flip the plexi gauge so it rests on the stylus, and you gently maneuver the cart body till the cantilever lines up with the gauge lines and the overhang point (of which I think there are 2) then you tighten the screws. At this point I always double check alignment If all is well then you mount the arm wand to the arms base
Joe, you are absolutely right, those pics are awesome! Although I was worried that his cantilever was very out of alignment based on his description, the pics show otherwise and it looks pretty good. It may be a factor of whether he's looking straight down on the tool and cart, or viewing it from a little off to one side. Nothing in those pics looked like a serious problem like I'd imagined from what he said.

What I was thinking of is sometimes a used TT can begin with a properly-drilled plinth, but it could come out wrong if the previous owner has changed out the tonearm. I apologize if I overhyped a possible problem.

I appreciate the input LarryC. I listened to a few records this morning. Thought I was losing a Telefunken in my Tercel as it was 'motorboating', turns out my new router was a little too close and something in the phono string was picking up the router data. I'll say this, it sounds much better than the Pro_Ject don't know if it's table, arm, cart or all three. I thought about mounting the cart on the ProJect but screw that, too much chance of mistakes and I'm too lazy.

• Like 1

Its all 3, and I agree screw that, sell off the project (which by the way I have not seen in garage sale) and enjoy life with a superb table / arm / cart.

no issues Larry some owners do get carried away for sure, I learnt in my work always start small and move up the chain when troubleshooting. More than once I was guilty of looking at worst case and turns out to be a loose connection etc...

Time for the glamour shots of the table in action :D

By the way larry I am setting here listening to Holst Planets you recommended,
The Planets is one of the great works of the 20th century!

I am not familiar with your carts, but, yes, definitely it's all 3. Weak links don't work as well in LP playback.

USN, have you discovered how great the Basis record clamp is on smoothing out record warps?

The secret is the undercut outer rim of the clamp, which squeezes down on and flattens out a warped record, without injuring the TT's spindle.

Records that formerly would toss the tonearm around, now sound pretty good, especially on a Graham (or Basis Vector) arm.

USN, have you discovered how great the Basis record clamp is on smoothing out record warps?

The secret is the undercut outer rim of the clamp, which squeezes down on and flattens out a warped record, without injuring the TT's spindle.

Records that formerly would toss the tonearm around, now sound pretty good, especially on a Graham (or Basis Vector) arm.

+1 on the basis clamp, they are top notch

Either I don't have record warps or my Pro_Ject clamp took care of them....it does sound really good though.

Now mike you are supposed to be doing handstands and shouting about all the advances your analog rig just took, This laid back casual "it does sound really good though" wont cut it :P

Seriously though, do you feel like the added SQ was worth the expense ?? In other words knowing what you know now would you buy the table setup again

Joe

In other words knowing what you know now would you buy the table setup again

YES, enough so that I spent another few hundred on calibration equipment. I was asked today if my old ears after 40 years of jet engines could hear a difference. The answer to that was without a doubt. It was an amazing difference. Would I spent $8,000 on the table? No, but taking a chance on used for this price it paid off.

Edit: From the what I got today thread:

Pro-Ject Measure It Electronic Stylus Force Gauge Pro-Ject Measure it

)Fosgate Fozgometer Azimuth Meter Fosgate Fozgometer with Test Record

Well on order anyway.

Edited by USNRET

YES, enough so that I spent another few hundred on calibration equipment. I was asked today if my old ears after 40 years of jet engines could hear a difference. The answer to that was without a doubt. It was an amazing difference. Would I spent $8,000 on the table? No, but taking a chance on used for this price it paid off.

I am glad to hear that................IMHO that is the only question that matters

I am glad to hear that................IMHO that is the only question that matters

And thanks to you Joe for the lead. Not many sell/buy would have ended in a positive with the problems that I caused but it worked out. Now some one make an offer on the Pro_Ject........

Edited by USNRET