Too many kids to get my records started

This one cries and that one yells,

Hey you there, get away from those Belles

They've worn me out and now so tired,

Aww the joys of being retired! :)

Edited by Tasdom
  • Like 5

also how do you like the cartridge alignment tool that Graham uses
I think I recall it was pretty good. FWIW, I preferred the little paper alignment tool that comes with the higher-line Shure carts -- it has a lengthwise line in the middle running exactly through the center of the spindle hole, and one or two key lines lines perpendicular to that line.

The stylus is placed right where the two kinds of lines intersect, and you ensure that the cart's cantilever (which holds the stylus) is precisely parallel to that perpendicular. The cantilever must be parallel to the record groove at the point where the stylus is planted.

You do NOT align the body of the cartridge, just the cantilever.

I used an ice pick point to put a little dimple in the protractor so that the stylus would always drop exactly into the right place.

With the supplied Graham I was easily able to set the overhang but making the cantilever parallel (in line with) the 1 and 2 lines was impossible. I couldn't 'twist' the cart enough. It sounds really nice. I am lacking for words to describe but where I had to sit leaning forward for my seat I now get to rest back in the sofa. I have having some difficulty setting the anti-skating as well as the arm always swings back to the rest, never neutralizes with 1.5 gm on the force.

Edited by USNRET

What is the condition of the belt?

Looks good, don't really know what to look for but included was a brand new one. I used the old one today. The arm has been updated but the sticker wasn't applied, it's in the box.

Looks good, don't really know what to look for but included was a brand new one. I used the old one today. The arm has been updated but the sticker wasn't applied, it's in the box.

That's good... Plus they are easy to find and buy.....

With the supplied Graham I was easily able to set the overhang but making the cantilever parallel (in line with) the 1 and 2 lines was impossible. I couldn't 'twist' the cart enough. It sounds really nice. I am lacking for words to describe but where I had to sit leaning forward for my seat I now get to rest back in the sofa. I have having some difficulty setting the anti-skating as well as the arm always swings back to the rest, never neutralizes with 1.5 gm on the force.

How is the cantilever in regards to the body on the cartridge ?, Larry is correct in that you don't align the body but If the cantilever is bent to 1 side or the other it does affect how much you can twist the cart in order to align the cantilever. if it is bent to one side or the other so much that it does not allow proper alignment I would consider requesting a replacement cart The smallest amount of misalignment can cause quite a bit of SQ loss

I have literally seen dozens of the graham upgraded arms where the users refuse to futz with applying the stickers

I cannot recall how the antiskate worked on the graham, I can say I know I never had a problem with the arm not tracking wonderfully.

In your pic the table looks beautiful. Use care cleaning the acrylic *** even the softest of rags can leave fine scratches in the finish which over time will show up and begin to look like hell

joe

if it is bent to one side or the other so much that it does not allow proper alignment I would consider requesting a replacement cart The smallest amount of misalignment can cause quite a bit of SQ loss

Not being able to get the cantilever parallel between lines 1 and 2 (I'd forgotten how that tool works) makes me think the arm is not set correctly on the plinth. I didn't go back to look, but weren't there earlier posts on whether the plinth on this table was drilled for this arm? That's one thing about a Basis -- it HAS to be drilled correctly for the arm!!! It's not something the user can adjust, unlike some tables and arms.

Seriously, I URGE you to get in touch with AJ Conti at Basis to discuss whether your plinth is correctly drilled for the arm! He's very easy to talk to and very helpful. When Garymd got his used Basis, AJ really stepped up to the plate to help out on correct hole drilling. Again, (603) 889-4776

Your Basis probably sounds good to you because it's a great TT. However, it's going to even sound a whole lot better if you get that cantilever aligned!

Edited by LarryC

I cannot recall how the antiskate worked on the graham,
I can't recall, either, but I'm not convinced that the manufacturer's instructions give the best results, because my carts have skated sideways into the beginning of the record, becuse the lead-in is banked inward (!),

So, I do an odd thing: I set the antiskate high so it won't skate inward across the grooves! Hopefully someone can either tell me that's a great idea, or tell me how I can keep the arm from skating in at lead-in and still use the "correct" A/S setting!

Larry the cartridge is lined up on the arm wand before you put it on the arm base so lining the cantilever up will have nothing to do with the arms mounting on the table plinth (you are going to make mike nervous)

When I used the tool, you remove the arm wand, you loosely mount the cart, you hold the tool over the cart screws, You flip everything so you are looking straight down at the cantilever stylus, you flip the plexi gauge so it rests on the stylus, and you gently maneuver the cart body till the cantilever lines up with the gauge lines and the overhang point (of which I think there are 2) then you tighten the screws. At this point I always double check alignment If all is well then you mount the arm wand to the arms base

If the cantilever will not line up I will almost bet the cantilever is bent (Not unusual at all to get a cartridge with the cantilever askew) but typically they are not so bad they wont line up............In this case it certainly sounds like the cantilever is off just enough that it wont align

Arm placement is of course important but not in the context of aligning the cantilever on the graham..............I could not honestly see anyone buying about 8000.00 worth of table and arm and then mis mounting the arm,

When an issue arises start with the most likely and easiest resolve and work back..............nothing good comes from assuming the worst possible scenario

Edited by joessportster

Just downloaded the PDF manual on vinyl engine and it discusses how to check arm alignment on the plinth if you want to check that, It also states how to use the tool for cart alignment

Mike if you did not get the manual you can get it at vinyl engine or I can try and email you a copy

Joe

Thanks all. Joe I have the manual thanks. After my eyes have some coffee I'll see if I can see any issue with the cantilever. Anti-skating: even with the weight fully to the minus position it still has a slight tendency to swing towards the rest. The table is level.

Hard to say with parallax involved. Looks good in one and out in the other. Looks like I need to take another shot at the overhang though.

post-19886-0-05540000-1401632547_thumb.j

post-19886-0-63980000-1401632562_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

It is very hard to judge by photos, slight angles can look great or off, that said it appears to have a minor cant to the left VIA the photo. The tool can take a little getting used to, from memory I recall playing with carts a good bit to get them just right (my shaky hands never helped with this as you may imagine)

The 1 photo looks pretty close on the right line, and on the left line it appears to very slightly move left

Grahams theory is a slight misalignment using his tool is miles better than the standard protractor set-up, (I dont know how much I agree with that) I do know cart set up is paramount to absolute best performance. I always found the tool acceptable, however I would double check it with a protractor (I like the MFSL disk as a backup tool and for double checking)

I never found anti skate to be an issue mainly because I never cared how the arm acted in the air, My feeling is if the cart tracks the groove as it should.

You said the table is level, Where did you measure level at, plinth or platter or both ??

heres my feeling with the skate issue, if the plinth and platter are level is it possible that the arm base is cocked just a bit causing the arm to pull back to the arm base base / rest ?

Too much skate pulling back to the armbase could theoretically cause premature stylus and groove wear

Aren't Turn Tables Fun :D I always found them a PITA to set up and it normally took days or weeks to get everything dialed in just so, Once set up though I found it was an unrivaled source................No way I could set one up now days

I know people that literally take a month or so setting up a table / arm / cartridge, tweek listen, tweek listen, tweek listen. repeatedly till satisfied. then its good till the cart wears out.............

your table once set up will be basically the same, once set you can forget and just enjoy till you get the itch to swap carts, or your cartridge wears out