Difference between Crown D45/D60/D75

There was a thread with a lot of nice pics of the mods but the search feature has once again proven worthless.

I originally had these bookmarked as I was interested in the modification (however, may never get to it as my soldering skills and eyes are lacking for very tiny parts though), but I had to re-find these again after the forum conversion for my personal 'wiki' page.

The last page of the first thread shows that Dean was the first to listen to it after Mark modified it, but not clear if he bought it.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/92213-my-new-crown-d45/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/92791-d-45-update-the-duke/

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

The last page of the first thread shows the original purchaser from Mark was Dean.

Thanks.

Dean bought it and sent it to Mark. Mark modded it, listened to it and sent it back to Dean. Dean kept it for a while and sold it to Joesportster. Joe ended up selling it to me. I have no intentions of selling it for the foreseeable future.

The last page of the first thread shows the original purchaser from Mark was Dean.

Thanks.

Dean bought it and sent it to Mark. Mark modded it, listened to it and sent it back to Dean. Dean kept it for a while and sold it to Joesportster. Joe ended up selling it to me. I have no intentions of selling it for the foreseeable future.

I thought that was the case and had followed it through its life cycle in the old forum, but changed my text back since I wasn't sure.

Edited by Fjd

There was a thread with a lot of nice pics of the mods but the search feature has once again proven worthless.

Somebody needs to do one of those magical bumps you love so much. ;) I bet it would come in handy about now.

Somebody needs to do one of those magical bumps you love so much. ;) I bet it would come in handy about now.

Funny! The thought crossed my mind on that one, but I would feel bad thinking that I may have caused the next 'heart attack' on the forum given the anxiety it creates. :blush2:

FJD thanks for doing that, I am sure it will be a big help.

I had re-found those links a while back, but like I mentioned, this project is way on a back burner. I'm just disapointed that it seems like Duke's avatar didn't come over for the conversion as it was interesting. I'm still looking for jc's Jubilee build for my new links, but can't seem to find that one.

• Like 1

I had re-found those links a while back

I searched all the words in the title of that thread and never found the thread you linked to. The search function is pretty useless at times.

I have the same problem in that I have to try different combinations of words to get something to hit. Sometimes I need to narrow it even further by who I think may have posted. In this case, I think I may have used "duke" and "mods" since I remembered it being called the Duke.

If I had the titles of the threads from my old bookmarks, it would be easier, but dummy me, I thought it would be better if I "named" my bookmarks by the "project" that I was doing the research for rather than the thread name. Now it is very tedious and almost impossible in some instances to re-create.

Edited by Fjd

Since we're on the subject of older Crown D series amps and beeker seems like he might be interested in a purchase, I have a Crown SA 30/30 that I might be willing to part with. I believe the SA 30/30 is the second amp Crown ever designed, the first being the SA 20/20. They are all discrete topology (no IC's). I spoke with a Crown engineer trying to find out more about it. He had been there since the early days but had never seen one.

I'd be glad to post a picture of it but I haven't figured out how to upload pictures since the Forum format was changed.

Edited by artto

You'll need a bucket of caps and some patience and enough instrumentation to do sweeps and such

This sounds like a trial and error, and checking with an oscilloscope. This would be fine tuning it, right. This is something that should be done when ever servicing a amp, or at least using a oscilloscope to see if there are problems. If so any recommendations for a decent scope that wont break the bank but handle these kinds of needs. I have been wanting to get one for sometime, I just get overwhelmed with them as there are lots for sale. I was told one thing is to watch out for older ones as they may need to be calibrated.

Mark thanks for taking the time to post those, I will start going trough everything in the next couple of days. I am in the process of making a deal on one of these amps, once I have one I will listen for sometime, while I get a good parts list together, looks at some schematics, and get one cracked open to see what I am up against. I think this is going to be a good learning project for me.

I did not loo but I assume the Crown is a transistor amp? If that is the case why don't you look for some old Hafler DH120 or DH220 amps they look great have lots of room inside to play with and are mosfet output so virtually indestructible and more importantly they are some of the most modified amps in the business. John Hillig of Musical concepts/Musical Design can upgrade them for you or sell you boards they can be turned into world class amplifiers with all new circuits. You can buy a blown mosfet amp and it will likely only have supply problems the output stages almost never go unlike transistor amps. My two cents. I would not touch a to Crown no room inside no heat sink no support. My two cents. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-120_amp_man.pdf

http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-220_amp_man.pdf

We'll I am finalizing a deal on a D45 now, I will say I am a guy who isn't hard to please when it comes to audio gear. As long as it works good and doesn't sound like crap I am satisfied(for the most part). The plus thing is this a proven mod, and something that will take some technical learning, as that is something I am interested in. So I am excited to start this project. I am sure the Firstwatt clones I was going to build may have a way superior sound for most people. But again I am a simple man when it comes to most audio gear. Plus starting with something like this helps me keep my sig true, starting with something that works, plus I get to DIY the project, and would be able to fix it for the most part.

Now after we get past all of this we shall take a look at that MC2100 I recently accidentally purchased.

I did not loo but I assume the Crown is a transistor amp? If that is the case why don't you look for some old Hafler DH120 or DH220 amps they look great have lots of room inside to play with and are mosfet output so virtually indestructible and more importantly they are some of the most modified amps in the business. John Hillig of Musical concepts/Musical Design can upgrade them for you or sell you boards they can be turned into world class amplifiers with all new circuits. You can buy a blown mosfet amp and it will likely only have supply problems the output stages almost never go unlike transistor amps. My two cents. I would not touch a to Crown no room inside no heat sink no support. My two cents. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-120_amp_man.pdf

http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-220_amp_man.pdf

Thanks for some more recommendations, the nice thing is moding, and diying are things I love about this hobby, I just have to find room for all these amps I end up.

U100A-D Replace with Quad OpAmp Texas Instruments TL 084 Mouser# 595-Tl084CN Quad OpAmp 14 pin DIP (1 required).

Looks like they offer a couple allternatives to this one,

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl074.pdf

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl054.pdf

The 74 is recommended for HI-FIDELITY. After doing some reading the 74 is low noise, sounds likes better for pre amps. Looks like the 54 may be in order. But then again at 2.50 a piece I don't know if I can swing the pricey of a upgrade.

Edited by duder1982

C101/C201 Black Gate "N/33" non-polar 33uF/16V from www.soniccraft.com C103/C203 Black Gate "N/100" non-polar 100uF/16V from www.soniccraft.com

Not to bad 38.00 for all plus shipping.

Sorry that's for the standard, I don't know how much better the N series is at 54.95 more each, I don't see a listing for the n/33. Might have to look at other options but if the standard are worth it then I will go with them.

Edited by duder1982