Audyssey Pro & Marantz 8801 Experience

USNRET

Anyone I can chat with about hook up? At this first step I cannot find instructions on what input on pre/pro to connect the mic amp.

Finally got it working, you see the results down below.

Edited by USNRET

I have searched many pages and cannot find the Marantz connection. Seems as though different brands/models are connected to the microphone amp different ways...aux 1 left, front panel input left, etc

Wonder how much differ just the Calibrated Mic makes?

For the price, I hope a LOT! Plus up to 32 sample locations vs 8 and the ability to tweak and re-sample. Kit plus license was about $700.

Man you'd think for 700$ they include some printed instructions for the buyers exact receiver or preamp it will be used on!

Well you are supposed to know what you're doing before you get one. Now it's off to buy a laptop to run it. Need one for REW anyway.

Humm, curious why my "That was an oversight" thread got locked, deleted, broken or something?

Edited by USNRET

Ok, once I got thru the trials and tribulations of registering my install kit I got more info. You use the 5 digit S/N of the mic to register and someone had fat fingered my S/N in March so it appeared as already in use. A copy of my invoice and photo of the S/N and Audyssey support cleared that up. Once I made a trip to town to get a 25' serial cable (included is a serial ti usb adapter but I used my PC in another room and I 'hear' that usb to serial drivers are flaky) and the PC was connected to the pre/pro and registered I got step by step instructions during the cal. My center reported and being out of phase (checked connection at amp and xover inputs, good). Here are the results you can see that my front three Belles hit the max attenuation of -12 db and my amp has no gain control. Center is being crossover differently. Something going on there? I need to check driver wiring.

post-19886-0-71540000-1401993216_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

Ok, once I got thru the trials and tribulations of registering my install kit I got more info. You use the 5 digit S/N of the mic to register and someone had fat fingered my S/N in March so it appeared as already in use. A copy of my invoice and photo of the S/N and Audyssey support cleared that up. Once I made a trip to town to get a 25' serial cable (included is a serial ti usb adapter but I used my PC in another room and I 'hear' that usb to serial drivers are flaky) and the PC was connected to the pre/pro and registered I got step by step instructions during the cal. My center reported and being out of phase (checked connection at amp and xover inputs, good). Here are the results you can see that my front three Belles hit the max attenuation of -12 db and my amp has no gain control. Center is being crossover differently. Something going on there? I need to check driver wiring.

The -12 is the max headroom the receiver has for level adjustment to bring your speakers to reference level. The quickest fix is to adjust it manually to 75 dB when measured using the internal test noise in your receiver, using a SPL meter. Alternatively you could add inline attenuators to the speaker channels to bring them down and re-run calibration.

The out of phase warning is just advice to double check wiring, if correct this warning can be completely ignored. (It happens due to in-room acoustics or because the speaker manufacturer purposefully made it that way).

Also, for Mic input; the MultEQ Pro software has an instruction box in the lower left hand side that will say the input place for the receiver, it is important not to plug the microphone in before it states this in the software as plugging it in early could cause speaker feedback.

Also, for Mic input; the MultEQ Pro software has an instruction box in the lower left hand side that will say the input place for the receiver, it is important not to plug the microphone in before it states this in the software as plugging it in early could cause speaker feedback.
Found that box after I had finally got registered. The out of phase is weird (excepting room) as all three front Belles have identical ALK crossovers, Volti horns and drivers.

Are the graphs in the red boxes actual or projected?

I'm going with predicted. I still want to get and learn REW or other software with a good mic and interface. I did 6 positions and all sounds good on the 2014 DTS Demo Disc.