How to polish, fix, refurb edge banding on these La Scala's?

jimjimbo

Picked up a full set of these last week from a friend. Would like to know how to go about polishing or rehabbing the metal edge banding on these for the various scratches, dings, as shown in the photos. These are actually some of the better surfaces. Can these be polished (mostly) out with a random orbital sander, and if so, what kind of pad to use? If not, do they need to be taken to a metal shop to be "dipped" or????? I just don't know enough about this. Thanks for your help.

post-12530-0-37900000-1404164081_thumb.j

post-12530-0-78500000-1404164103_thumb.j

Once you use Scotchbrite/steel wool/sandpaper on them, they will oxidize rather quickly. The original aluminum is anodized, giving a super hard finish of a few microns. If you want to clean them that way, you should also remove the trim and take it to have it re-anodized. The cost is minimal. You could also have them done in different colors.

Or just spray them with a clear poly.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

I'd do any polishing OFF the speaker if possible...depending on how you want it to look, fine SW works great but if you want a mirror finish your going to need elbow grease or a polishing wheel.

after which you want to clear coat otherwise oxidation will occur over time.

Edited by Schu

If you are going to remove the trim, the easiest way to remove the oxidation is with an aluminum truck and trailer wash that contains hydroflouric acid. Any truck wash will have this. You need to protect the trim from air immediately after washing.

I always thought that plating the trim with black chrome would look nice.