What is more accurate horns or cones

mdross1

Is this the same way you interpreted that the F-20 was a rip off of Bills design?

The F-20 is actually a longer front loaded horn with back air chamber. It also benefits from corner loading........down into the teens. Below 20 Hz. the wavelengths get really long really FAST with any subwoofer and it is difficult to get that low for this type of horn without it becoming bigger than the room it's in. Tapped horns, bass reflex, and Infinte baffles with a room full of 18" drivers can be a better solution if that's the goal.

Sub bass is the most expensive part of any system. Size-wise and watts-wise.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Just Does not seem right is all, since its Bill's design I'm sure his measurements are correct and my interpretation is not.

Is this the same way you interpreted that the F-20 was a rip off of Bills design?

The horm path itself is practically identical, what would you call it ?

According to Claude the F-20 has a longer horn path. As noted, I don't have the plans for the THT. The reason I asked was because there was a question posted earlier as to how you figure the horn path and how BFM does. It seemed different.

According to Claude the F-20 has a longer horn path. As noted, I don't have the plans for the THT. The reason I asked was because there was a question posted earlier as to how you figure the horn path and how BFM does. It seemed different.

So i could add a inch or whatever to the La Scala cabinet and call it my design ?

So i could add a inch or whatever to the La Scala cabinet and call it my design ?

If your Lascala looks nothing like the original, works better and is easier to build then sure. By your logic, every horn that is anywhere near the same length as another is copying it. I just don't see it. YMMV.

If your Lascala looks nothing like the original, works better

If it worked better it would be a plus, no doubt there, the La Scala design has been copied on more than one occasion.

and is easier to build then sure.

This could be a tradeoff, easy does not always mean better

By your logic, every horn that is anywhere near the same length as another is copying it. I just don't see it. YMMV.

I never said anything about horn length.

Has anyone taken the time to ask Lil'Mike? Are all of his designs assumed to be derivative? It seems hardly fair to knock guy on a separate forum without the chance to defend himself.

Good idea, Lil Mike could post on Bill's forum or one of the many DIY forum's and answer any questions about the design.

Not sure about the other designs myself but others on a DIY forum may be able to offer more insight.

I'm just a builder and gave my opinion on the subject and could care less one way or the other.

I don't speak for Bill Fitzmaurice and I'm quite sure he does not speak for me.

Feel free to post on the subject wherever you feel is best, this may not be the proper place for it in my opinion.

whz85h.jpg

IMG_1317.JPG

Maybe it's just me but I'm having trouble seeing the similarities. If you think about it, the extension is determined by the length of the horn. FLH's with similar extension have to have similar horn lengths, or so I would think.

• Like 1

I'm just a builder and gave my opinion on the subject

Feel free to post on the subject wherever you feel is best, this may not be the proper place for it in my opinion.

?

I never would have considered the relationship between the two but you said "The F-20 is just a THT knockoff". I was just curious as to why you thought so or brought it up in the first place. We can close the subject if you like.

• Like 1

whz85h.jpg

IMG_1317.JPG

Maybe it's just me but I'm having trouble seeing the similarities. If you think about it, the extension is determined by the length of the horn. FLH's with similar extension have to have similar horn lengths, or so I would think.

Straighten the horn path and you will see, the F-20 even uses the same recommended driver.

I'm just a builder and gave my opinion on the subject

?

I never would have considered the relationship between the two but you said "The F-20 is just a THT knockoff". I was just curious as to why you thought so or brought it up in the first place. We can close the subject if you like.

Claude brought up the F-20 before i mentioned the subject in post #64, i did not bring it up.

the F-20 even uses the same recommended driver

The F-20 was designed originally to use up the glut of MFW 15 drivers on the market after that company went belly up. Once those were gone, the Dayton was used as an alternative.

• Like 1