Teac A-H01

tromprof

My dac died the other day, a Maverick Audio D2 tube dac. Probable not a big deal to fix but that is not my forte and don't really want to spend money on an inexpensive small make Chinese dac. So I went looking to see what is new on the market. While looking at Amazon I came across the little Teac A-H01 which is both a dac and an integrated amp that is using a B&O Icepower chip. I really like the sound from my Pioneer that uses their version of Icepower (D3) and funds are a little scarce right now after my qaurter pie build so I thought I would give it a try. At only $299 delivered I was a bit unsure it would be up to making my K-horns shine but it is truly a pleasant surprise. Dead quiet, the bass is well controlled, and overall the sound is like a very good tube amp. It is only rated at 30 watts but that is plenty for K-horns. I was prepared to send it back and get the more expensive NAD D3020 that has received so many positive reviews, but so far the Teac is a keeper.post-26564-0-90700000-1405207138_thumb.j

Pictured sitting on top of m Hk 3390.Little size, big sound.

cool looking dac / amp, read the manufacturers description on amazon and it says 50 wpc. I have never heard the bur brown chip I know alot of companies use it..................I would like to hear it some day...........................always nice to hear a users point of view on a piece

cool looking dac / amp, read the manufacturers description on amazon and it says 50 wpc. I have never heard the bur brown chip I know alot of companies use it..................I would like to hear it some day...........................always nice to hear a users point of view on a piece

Amazon was making up things on the power numbers. The manual says 30 watts at 8 Ohm. Again plenty of power and good bass. I tried a couple of T-amps over the last few years and bass was always the biggest issue. This sounds light years better than best T-amp I tried.

I found the better built dacs in the sub 500 are all pretty much comparable in SQ some seem to offer a tad more high end res, while others tighten up bass a bit, etc... the trick is finding the one that offers a good balance without being harsh

I have been reading up a great bit on dacs of late and I have read several reviews where they will compare sub 1000 dacs to several 1000 dollar units and most they can say is it offers better resolution etc......... I have yet to read a dac review that states a major improvement................I am now of the mind that if you find a dac that is resolving enough to please you and it has the options you need further improvement on a system needs to come from elsewhere

I just took delivery this week of this Teac DAC. I had my eyes on it the last 6 months. Finally available in the States!

Volume Control works for Coaxial Output, so can be used instead of a Pre-amp. Friendly impedance. Great Build Quality.

ud-301-b_w_color.jpg

Edited by Cut-Throat