Vinyl LPs Sales Increase Near 40%

Chris A

Well while Mark Waldrep obviously has no clue what sounds good or has a clue why vinyl has made a resurgence among audiophiles.... I thought the linked article in his article was pretty good....

Sound quality is the largest reason the LP has been growing in sales growth for many years.

The thing I can not understand is why that Jack White LP has sold as many copies as it has....that gimmick really worked well because the music is absolute trash IMHO....I bet that album is where this Mark Waldipshit garnished is sound quality opinion ;)

Well while Mark Waldrep obviously has no clue what sounds good or has a clue why vinyl has made a resurgence among audiophiles.... I thought the linked article in his article was pretty good....

Sound quality is the largest reason the LP has been growing in sales growth for many years.

The thing I can not understand is why that Jack White LP has sold as many copies as it has....that gimmick really worked well because the music is absolute trash IMHO....I bet that album is where this Mark Waldipshit garnished is sound quality opinion ;)

Can you point me where you formed your opinion of Mark Waldrip's audio tastes?

I've noticed that he hasn't been bitten by the horn loudspeaker bug and that he hasn't figured out that preserving dynamic range (actually crest factor) is really more important than recording format--he's a proponent of 24/96, as I am, but the DR is even more important for me personally. Vinyl recordings typically have much better DR--about 2-3 dB more on average from looking at the statistics of the DR Database files. You can't make a loud vinyl record like you can with digital formats--the needle won't stay in the groove if you try.

The reason why I ask is that I'm trying to understand his opinions, which seem to parallel my own in technical detail but his demo recordings that he provided on his web site (actually FTP) aren't really that good, IMHO. It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Read the article...

"I have very fond memories of vinyl and recognize its benefits: larger artwork, posters, and two sides. Unfortunately, reproducing better fidelity than digital (even compact discs) isn’t among them."

The guy is a moron.....

The thing I can not understand is why that Jack White LP has sold as many copies as it has....that gimmick really worked well because the music is absolute trash IMHO....

Seems like you underestimated the number of JW fans out there.

Jack's album is right in line with his evolution into The Dead Weather and then his solo career. He's definitely not for everyone, and while I have an appreciation for his newer stuff, I greatly prefer his 2-person work as The White Stripes.

Neil Young's latest album that was recorded in the restored realtime vinyl recorder of Jack's is absolute shit. Not sure why no one is calling that garbage out for what it is.

I could be off base, but the author of the article is probably in no position to claim that digital is "better fidelity." He states that he doesn't even own a turntable and proudly states that he is not about to buy one. Likely has no vinyl collection. Maybe he's just "read a lot" to justify his opinion without much personal experience. Many of us who own BOTH vinyl and cd's and have substantial experience with both, would beg to disagree with his opinion. I think it's perfectly legit to prefer digital but it's a lot easier to respect such opinions when they come from people who also have a legit (experienced) basis for comparison. This guy doesn't seem to have it.

Note that Rollling Stone magazine regularly gives prominent reviews of new LPs. This gives the impression that, for RS, LPs are the prestige medium.

This week's issues devotes almost a whole page to Brian Wilson's new album coming this fall, featuring young guest singers such as a Lana Del Ray, Kacey Musgraves and Zooey Deschanel> I'm just reporting on the prominence, BTW, since I've never heard of any of these except "Zooey"!

A few pages later, another new LP, by a "Avicii", is reviewed. Again, I have no idea who that is, but that adds up to a lot of RS space for new LPs.

Edited by LarryC

I own exactly one album and no turntable. That's not saying I wouldn't mind dabbling back into it as I sold a huge LP collection I had back in the 80's for merely nothing :( What I would like to hear about is how you guys that listen to both would compare the non compressed DVDA's and Blue Ray Audio offerings to Vinyl. I just heard an upper level turntable a few months back with a Dire Straits LP played through a McIntosh AMP and Pre hooked to some K-horns and although I wasn't wowed by it, it is hard for me to compare another system in a different environment other than my own.

The thing I can not understand is why that Jack White LP has sold as many copies as it has....that gimmick really worked well because the music is absolute trash IMHO....

Yea well I'll be scratching my head until the end of time on that one....

One of the subjects that has been of interest is "why does vinyl typically sound better than CDs" (in terms of popular music originally recorded since 1992). For me, the answer is partial preservation of dynamic range of the music to be the only attribute that cannot be "commercialized" on vinyl (read this as "made louder") relative to CDs, a market that has clearly abused its format excessively by the now-industry standard practice of dynamic range compression mastering methods.

Of other subjects at hand is higher resolution digital music, such as 24/96 PCM formats--first introduced with the DVD-A physical media, and now available in Blu-Ray and download formats, I've found this format typically does sound better - perhaps smoother or more lifelike than CDs (on average, but not always). SACD--actually DSD format--is also very smooth and natural sounding to my ears, but has some issues relative to PCM at higher frequencies. Both of these formats are newer and higher resolution than the red book PCM format that's been an industry standard for more than 30 years.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=2875

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=2947

Thirty years is a long time. Imagine yourself back in the 1970s, wanting to listen to mono shellac phonograph records from the 1940s. I know that wasn't on my preferred list of things to do then.

Edited by Chris A

Jack's album is right in line with his evolution into The Dead Weather and then his solo career. He's definitely not for everyone, and while I have an appreciation for his newer stuff, I greatly prefer his 2-person work as The White Stripes.

Neil Young's latest album that was recorded in the restored realtime vinyl recorder of Jack's is absolute ****. Not sure why no one is calling that garbage out for what it is.

i bought that Neil Young album, listened to 2 songs and then turned it off and sold it. and i am a huge Neil Young fan. didnt care for the "retro" sound. i knew there was no way i was going to every play that stuff again. so i sold my vinyl LP on ebay and recouped about 70% of my money. now Spotify has the album to stream if i ever care....

Mark,

If you look at the DMP CD recordings in the 1980s (e.g., Flim and the BB's, et al.), these recordings were done on tube gear using two microphones (into ADC recording consoles) without the use of recording booths and multi-track recorders. The results speak for themselves. Also note the average dynamic range values of these recordings:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=Flim+%26+the+BB%27s

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Mintzer&album=

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=Thom+Rotella

Basically the same story for Sheffield Lab, which also hung onto direct-to-disc vinyl releases until the late '80s, but also co-released CDs of the same DTD recordings.

Edited by Chris A

Actually, it records on the acetate that is used to make the masters. I have a CCM album that was recorded that way (done in the mid '70s). The difficulty is having to perform all the songs on a side in one go. This one goes from a high energy/up tempo song, a five second break before the next song starts, which is a very quiet and laid back tune. If you mess up any part of a song, you toss the acetate out and start over at the beginning.

In any case, just pulling that off it hard enough. Having good music just makes it more difficult.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Yea well I'll be scratching my head until the end of time on that one....

It isn't rocket scientology.

"AIX Records was founded by Dr. Mark Waldrep in 2000 as one of the first (if not the first) high -definition audio label,"

Well, no surprise that he isn't interested in buying a turntable then, huh?

Records and CDs and tapes are a matter of taste, aren't they? Taste, and habit and convention and long-term reference. I think the reason it is fair to talk about and write about "vinyl resurgence" is that vinyl was pronounced dead a long time ago. Really dead. And whether of not the raw sales numbers show more than a few percent, what would you all be saying if you saw real Civil War soldiers walking the streets - even in small numbers? What's clear as a bell, is that vinyl still impresses some people who have influence in audio. That means it is still a significant force in the audio culture, if not the till. I doubt anyone meant to say that vinyl sales were outstripping total CD sales.

I find it hard to put them down. They are fun, and they generate some nice feelings when played. Some of it is nostalgia, some of it is a visceral reaction to the gestalt sound of it, and some of it is the joy of arcane things. I have the same softspot for 1960s convertibles too, even though they don't have airbags and disc brakes.

Vinyl is fun.

Damn fine post.

I've bought two new albums and about five used since 1990, about half of those because my old original albums were clapped out and the recordings weren't available on CD (without being "remastered" into oblivion). There are many older recordings in this bunch that have been issued on CD but that are compressed in dynamics, making the CDs sound quite uninteresting and dull.

I've got about 500-700 albums that I never sold from the 70s-mid 80s, all bought new, and most of which have never been issued on digital format.

Chris

Edited by Chris A