Upgrade to RF-7 ii and current NAD receiver specs

joel_bsd

Hi all,

First post here. I've finally decided to upgrade from a pair of Synergy F-3 to the following:

RF-7 ii

RS-62 ii

RB-81 ii

RC-64ii

I just wanted to confirm my current receiver would be able to run the 7 speakers at a reasonable level (around cinema/movie theatre or a tad lower) for movies. Until sometime down the track when I can afford to update the receiver.

I have a NAD T757

FTC 7 x 110W
Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously) 7 x 60W (0.05% THD, 20-20kHz)
IHF Dynamic Power
8 ohms 137W
4 ohms 243W
Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power <0.08%
IM distortion at rated power <0.08%
Damping Factor, 8 ohms >60
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 250mV/50kohms
Frequency Response ±0.8dB (ref. 1kHz, 20Hz-20kHz)
Signal/Noise Ratio >100dB (ref. rated power at 8 ohms, A-WTD)
>90dB (ref. 1W at 8ohms, A-WTD)
For 2 channel listening with the RF-7 ii I think the 757 can supply 110W, so hopefully that is ok for a reasonable volume level and quality for them?
Just after some advice or if anyone else had a similar setup before being able to update at a later date. I'm guessing at least 1-2 years before I update the 757. So hopefully it can get me by until then,
Kind regards,
Joel
Edited by joel_bsd

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. I would expect your receiver to do fine for 5.1 but adding 7 speakers, you will lose a lot of volume and impact. That is what I experienced with my Yamaha RX-V1800. It was 130/ch but third party bench test showed it actually only put out 55 watts/ch with 7 speakers.

It was a very significant difference so I sold my back surrounds and stuck with a 5.1 setup until I purchased the Sherbourn 72100a (200 x 7) amp.

Joel,

Welcome to the forum.

Your NAD 757 will be just fine for moderate/medium loud(if there is such a thing) volumes for HT with an RF-7II system. If any reservations or doubts, you could always add a quality used 2-channel or 3-channel amp to the mix to handle the heavy lifting. Adding a subwoofer and setting the LFE/crossover to 80Hz will also take some strain off of the receiver.

As mentioned by Youthman, give WC a call and he will treat you right.

Bill

Thanks all,

I have two Yamaha YST-SW1500 powered subwoofers so I will be using bass management and 60-80Hz crossover so its good to know that this will help as well.

For 2 channel listening I was planning to use analog bypass mode on the 757 since I also have a NAD M51 DAC to use,

Cheers,

Joel

Thanks.

I had another question I've been thinking about. If I got a NAD T 977 down the track could I use it and my 757. The 977 is 7 channels @ 140W.

My question here is am I able to use the pre-out on the 757 into the 977 say for the RF-7 ii ... but also use the speaker terminal on the 757 as well at the same time?

The RF-7 ii have dual binding posts so have the 977 connected to one and the 757 connected to the other (60w from the 757 and 140w from the 977, so a 200w total)?

Is this possible? The 757 would just pass the signal via pre-out to the 977 but still apply amplification to the output terminal. So that way I am not really wasting the 757's power, but making use the 60w it offers in conjunction with the 977's 140w.

Maybe I have it all wrong so thought I would ask here.

Edit:

Actually I just flicked through the NAD manual and it says never connect both the speaker output terminal and an external pre-out power amplifier to the same set of speaker terminals. So bad idea I guess.

Cheers,

Joel

Edited by joel_bsd

I had another question I've been thinking about. If I got a NAD T 977 down the track could I use it and my 757. The 977 is 7 channels @ 140W.

Yes you can.

My question here is am I able to use the pre-out on the 757 into the 977 say for the RF-7 ii ... but also use the speaker terminal on the 757 as well at the same time? The RF-7 ii have dual binding posts so have the 977 connected to one and the 757 connected to the other (60w from the 757 and 140w from the 977, so a 200w total)? Is this possible? The 757 would just pass the signal via pre-out to the 977 but still apply amplification to the output terminal. So that way I am not really wasting the 757's power, but making use the 60w it offers in conjunction with the 977's 140w. Maybe I have it all wrong so thought I would ask here.

I see you figured it out but just to make it more clear. If your 757 has 7.1 preouts and you use all of them with your 977, then the speaker terminals in the 757 are muted(dead). Now if you wanted to only use say your front soundstage(Left--Center--Right) preouts, then you could use the remaining speaker terminals of the 757 to drive your surrounds speakers.

Bill

Edited by willland

The RF-7 ii have dual binding posts so have the 977 connected to one and the 757 connected to the other (60w from the 757 and 140w from the 977, so a 200w total)?

Is this possible? The 757 would just pass the signal via pre-out to the 977 but still apply amplification to the output terminal. So that way I am not really wasting the 757's power, but making use the 60w it offers in conjunction with the 977's 140w.

Maybe I have it all wrong so thought I would ask here.

Edit:

Actually I just flicked through the NAD manual and it says never connect both the speaker output terminal and an external pre-out power amplifier to the same set of speaker terminals. So bad idea I guess.

Right. There's no way that they would output the same voltage and you would end up feeding current into the 977 from the 757 or from the 977 into to 757, depending on gain.

BTW, your NAD handles low impedance well and do do as well as an outboard amp with the RF7.

Edited by psg