Getting KPT-904s, should I stick with SVS or go kpt-884?

plissken99

Steven here on the forums is giving me the chance to buy is 884 sub with a Crown amp at a very good price. I currently have the SVS PB2+ down firing sub with 900w amp and 2x12 woofers.

My question is whether I should stick with what I have or sell it for the 884? On paper the 884 doesn't fire as low as mine. However should I ever want to add a 2nd sub I can always get another 884, where finding another SVS sub like mine would be next to impossible.

Decisions decisions. And btw anyone interested in the SVS for $1000 in Denver? :)

I would comment and suggest go for a good pair of 18's (likely not klipsch unless you find klipsch within reach) although i have not taken the invite up yet to visit scrappys 904 setup yet.

I will say considering reference mans less than 15" sized powered subs seem to be doing him much pleasure in a suitable nature in sound performance therefore you may give your svs cylinders a shot then make the decision...

I have to throw this out there...do to the fact many pa systems are going active(the large 25k person capacity systems are not although) .. You can get some absolutely amazing buys on great near new passive pa low frequency drivers(subwoofers). I have seen so many off and on for the past year that are worth so much in cash value when bought new as well as used because they want the money now to get the actives or to clear out the garage or equipment room for more space. For example I seen a Radian audio model, i believe 2(maybe there was only a single cabinet with dual 18's, about 2.5 months ago) rcs218's which are 2 18's in each enclosure rather than the rcs118's such as what i use at home and they were about $400 each...for dual cabs...they did not last long and were sold at guitar center and i noticed them i believe from a new york state guitar center...anyhow my radians new are $1800 each when bought new...If you read about them on the radian audio site a huge church only needs 1, they are some of the best subs i have ever heard.

Point is, even on craigslist i have found from jbl to even the chase subs to near any brand made locally that were being sold due to the ease of fast setup and takedown/loading etc of active p pa subs and for a fraction of what they are new, even passives still being sold today can be found frequently...

From this point i will get out of here cause the 904 guys around here will likely have a hands on approach to answer your thread. Cheers on your new choice of 904's!

• Like 1

My vote is as follows.

I have 904's in a KPT435 format using crossovers from the KPT4350MS. I have a KPT684 running a crown xti1000 and am super happy with it. You will be just as happy with the 884 as I am with my 684. The best thing I(my opinion only, meaning no disrespect to anyone else) did was move away from subs with an integrated amp. My vote is on the 884 with the crown.

Edit: One more thing, the 884 will match perfectly with the 904's, and its in the same family of products

Edited by Turbox

My vote is as follows.

I have 904's in a KPT435 format using crossovers from the KPT4350MS. I have a KPT684 running a crown xti1000 and am super happy with it. You will be just as happy with the 884 as I am with my 684. The best thing I(my opinion only, meaning no disrespect to anyone else) did was move away from subs with an integrated amp. My vote is on the 884 with the crown.

Edit: One more thing, the 884 will match perfectly with the 904's, and its in the same family of products

I want one of those kpt-1802 that you have. How much would that run without the cherry?

Well actually my SVS has passive connections on it so you could hook up an external amp. I'm still leaning toward the 884 though, it will match the system afterall and if it's good enough for commercial cinema lol.

Got a polite low ball offer on Craigslist, $500 for the SVS sub. He said to keep it in mind if I can't sell it... guess I might. :(

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151509-dead-rt12d-subwoofer/#entry1760495

Perfect example of powered subs dying and not having a replacemt amp for it. Sucks.

Crown dies you go buy another. Old and outdated? Buy the latest and greatest.

Great point! One of the best reasons there is to go with a sub and an external amp.

Well actually my SVS has passive connections on it so you could hook up an external amp. I'm still leaning toward the 884 though, it will match the system afterall and if it's good enough for commercial cinema lol.

Got a polite low ball offer on Craigslist, $500 for the SVS sub. He said to keep it in mind if I can't sell it... guess I might. :(

I knew when i posted earlier your cylinder svs subs were passive, im familiar with these and know where a couple are right now. Altogether I would give them a shot just to experience what they can do for knowledge. Its kind of like a race car or i look at it that way. You dont change the spoiler, ride height, lean the engine tune and toe the wheels in all at the same time...Not that there are repercussions in home audio like racing although experience and getting use to new sound one step at a time puts more under a belt.

I suggest use the dual svs's your using for a bit then put the 884 in the spot without doubt once your completely ready...like i mentioned earlier reference head is pleased with his smaller subs yet still considering upgrading to 904's. Sounds like small subs will work in a home theater scenario with 904's. Your likely gonna get the 884 regardless due to the tone in your voice. Cheers and best of times with the work your putting into your theater.

Or drop them svs's and move on...That model is a bit stale in value from what they use to be and what iv found watching them sell in the past year. Stick to your guns but the last pair i seen sell locally was $550 on clist

I knew when i posted earlier your cylinder svs subs were passive, im familiar with these and know where a couple are right now. Altogether I would give them a shot just to experience what they can do for knowledge. Its kind of like a race car or i look at it that way. You dont change the spoiler, ride height, lean the engine tune and toe the wheels in all at the same time...Not that there are repercussions in home audio like racing although experience and getting use to new sound one step at a time puts more under a belt.

I suggest use the dual svs's your using for a bit then put the 884 in the spot without doubt once your completely ready...like i mentioned earlier reference head is pleased with his smaller subs yet still considering upgrading to 904's. Sounds like small subs will work in a home theater scenario with 904's. Your likely gonna get the 884 regardless due to the tone in your voice. Cheers and best of times with the work your putting into your theater.

Or drop them svs's and move on...That model is a bit stale in value from what they use to be and what iv found watching them sell in the past year. Stick to your guns but the last pair i seen sell locally was $550 on clist

I would also try them with the 904s first. My svs subs work amazing with the 904s and lack nothing imo. My thing is I could sell them and build 3 18s. I will have better subs, and still have 1 to1500 in my pocket. If I wait the svs will slowly lose their value. Plus this would keep me busy :).

• Like 1

I already got a pair of 904's from a guy here in Denver, Dan Mueller. He sold me one of his two pairs. He knows another guy selling a pair, he's gonna buy one and I'll buy the other so we each get a center.

Mostly movies, the occasional concert blu ray. Really I'm happy with my bass, but then I've been happy with RF-7's going on a decade till now. :) Plus all the new standards seem to like 2 subs.