Just STOLE some RF-82s

mattSER

Nabbed a fine lookin' pair of RF-82s for $200 today!! Found them hidden in a "moving sale"-headlined ad on CL among multiple random items. B)

I've been comparing them all night to my current RF-35s and have noticed a few things:

The 35s have a much stronger mid-range emphasis and an overall more cohesive sound. The 82s seem to have pulled the mids back and extended top and bottom a bit. Sounds a bit disconnected but more neutral and not as harsh on the ears at higher volume. After a 4 hour comparison session, I'd say the 82s win about 80% of the time.

So the now the question is....what do I do with four RF towers? :)

I'm hesitant to sell either pair. The 35s were my first proper pair of speakers ever, sound great, and are in mint condition. I could probably double my money back on the 82s, but(despite being in slightly rougher condition) they sound consistently better than the 35s.

So what would you do with four towers and two bookshelves in the same room??

i set up a whole new system in the garage. fixing to start putting together a better system in the bedroom, and still screwing with the system in the livingroom. the way i see it, just build you a new system if you dont want to go with 7.1. i run 4 floor standing speakers in the garage, and that was the system that i had in the livingroom before i had the upgrade fever.

Matt,

Great buy! I have 4 towers in my great room (2 KLF-30s up front, and 2 KLF-20s as surrounds). Love them. Do you not want the size or the look of 4 towers?

Do you have an adjoining room where you or someone else goes in or through frequently? Could you run wiring for the bookshelves (run them as wides or highs) so that you have seamless sound?

Anyway, good "problem" to have!

Jim

You can certainly use 4 towers in one room! I have 2 Khorns (Front) , 2 CW's (center) 2 CW II's (Rear surround and then two S-3 surrounds hanging on the wall for sides. If you don't want to take up the real estate, just put them beside each other and take turns with them so they don't get rusty...you'll find use for a second set up at some point.

• Like 1

Thanks, everybody. I'm pretty stoked about my score.

I think the space for the rears is the main problem. I like the idea of using the RBs as highs, but it's kind of a small room. I rent a large townhouse with two old friends of mine.

So, I don't hear many throwing out the idea of selling a pair! Haha.

Also, one of the problems is I lose the ability to bi-amp if I use heights or wides. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but I think bi-amping makes a difference.

I guess now would be a good time to mention that my main interest is music. So before I rearrange the entire room to accommodate all these towers, is anybody here actually a fan of surround processing on music? Or will I just be sacrificing overall quality for a novelty surround effect?

If it were me & you can make room, I'd look for a Single RF-82 for Center, or RC-64, either series.

In the meantime, a Phantom Center can sound pretty darn good.

i second the rc64 idea. but it is on the expensive side!

That thing is a beast! I think it may be too large for me. More than I want to spend, too. Why does it have two different crossover points?

Would the RC-52 be too small to match up well with my 82s?

If it were me & you can make room, I'd look for a Single RF-82 for Center, or RC-64, either series.

In the meantime, a Phantom Center can sound pretty darn good.

i second the rc64 idea. but it is on the expensive side!

That thing is a beast! I think it may be too large for me. More than I want to spend, too. Why does it have two different crossover points?

Would the RC-52 be too small to match up well with my 82s?

it has two crossover points to creat what they call a tapered array, two of the drivers are at one setpoint and the other two are at the other if i understand correctly.

if you are going to listen to music, i dont see much benefit with using a center channel. if you think you will later use it as a home theater setup to watch movies on them, i would get a center channel. that being said, i do think in time you will find the 52 lacking in power compared to the 82s. some of these folks may have different findings of course.