Baby Backs or Spares?

oldtimer

Some people think baby back ribs are more difficult than spare ribs to get right. My experience is the opposite. To me baby backs seem easier and faster. What do the rest of you bbq dilettantes think? We are talking about smoking here, not boiling or oven or whatever abomination some will do.

Spares have more flavor, no doubt in my warped mind....I used to do baby backs all the time, then switched over to spares and never looked "back" .........Another trick I learned, is that I used to remove the silver skin from the backside, to supposedly make them more tender, however, what this does is allow a lot of moisture to escape, and actually makes them drier....I don't do that anymore. I'm hungry now.....Oh, and as you can see from my avatar, I'm kinda into smoking and bbq.....Doing some T bones tonight with my homemade "cowboy" rub....send me 5 bucks and I'll share the recipe... ;)

Edited by jimjimbo

My preference is to cook pork spare ribs. Either way I can bring both to perfection....

However, when I do baby back ribs, I (slow) smoke my ribs first (bringing them up to 145 degrees).

Following that I put them on the grill, for as long as needed, to gain a nice crust on the meat side of the ribs. BBQ sauce is painted on at this time.

I do marinate my pork ribs for 18 hours (minimum) with red wine. Next I apply a dry rub. The ribs are usually smoked between 8 - 9 hours.

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 2

Baby backs indirectly slow cooked on the weber is the easiest for me. I get the temp about right and throw them on the cool side vertically. When I get busy or distracted they still come out right on.

Just an aside: For boneless I use this sauce (note the contributor's name) http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/bln0126a.htm

Edited by USNRET

OK, first to answer your question....easier to cook to perfection?....well, if you're a perfectionist.....then both. It's all a matter of patience and watching, and the right temps. Get a GOOD instant read thermometer, and you will forever thank me.

Secondly, Boxx....8-9 hours? really? I have always subscribed to the 3-2-1 method...3 hours on a rib rack (at about 240), 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hour (or less) back on the smoker naked...not me, the ribs....works every time for me. Now, I use a homemade Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) made from a food grade 55 gallon drum. Others may use a Big Green Egg, Weber Smokey Mountain, or other variant. But that's what works for me.

Boxx also gets a non-committal, regardless of his heathen ways.
:o

We are talking about smoking, not grilling or some combination thereof.

When good grillers stand by and say nothing, regarding the pure smoking of ribs, then bad bbq'ing will triumph.

When good grillers stand by and say nothing, regarding the pure smoking of ribs, then bad bbq'ing will triumph.

Why do my smoked ribs have the crust you describe from grilling and the tenderness pulling off the bone without needing to grill? Is that the bad bbq prevailing? In other words, "what you talkin about willis?"

Why do my smoked ribs have the crust you describe from grilling and the tenderness pulling off the bone without needing to grill? Is that the bad bbq prevailing? In other words, "what you talkin about willis?"

That's because you have reached "master chef" status. Well done, my friend...