Anamorphic lens

MichaelandKlipsch

Well the new JTR subwoofers should be here the end of next week and im looking to the next piece in the theater. I have toyed with the idea for a long while and always knew I would eventually install one, and I believe next week I’m going to pull the trigger on a Panamorph UH480 anamorphic lens. I have seen some of these used and factory cleaned (the lens etc) for 1999 and the motorized sled will be purchased separately. Anyone on here have experience and or suggestions with anamorphic lenses? I don’t see many people talk about them and I know a lot of us use projectors on here. I know I have seen the effects of them and thus I wanted to eventually get one. They don’t really have to be upgraded and I know the UH480 has been very very well reviewed for years and should fit any other JVC projectors they come out with including new 4k versions in the future for many years. I like being able to utilize the extra 20% of the dead pixel space (black bars on the top and bottom) and I like that I can appropriately adjust the aspect ratios of 16:9 content to fill my screen for those few films I have in that ratio. I also like not having to zoom in and out for different films. I know it isn’t that hard or anything but the JVC is slower and zooming than the Panny I witnessed at youths house that thing was lighting fast and changing ratios. Thoughts fellas?

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

Are you sure you will be able to fill a 16x9 aspect into a 2.35/2.40 screen? That was not how I understood it but im really interested if it is :). I looked really hard at them when I was learning about this stuff. Was thinking if I did not get len memory I might want/need one. What I got out of it was they are really nice but with the high contrast projectors they make now (like you have) still look really really good even zoomed out to push the bars off (and the loss of dead pixels). Another thing you could do is sell the 45 add the 2k and buy a jvc with e shift. That wont solve the 20% loss. But I wonder if that would look better than a 45 with the new lens.I just wonder if this would be money better spent.

But If you get one im sure it will look even better and be a nice upgrade. And I cant wait to hear what you think.

Edited by reference_head

You might check the AVS forum as they have a special section that the big guys (with tons of money and time) have flogged out to every incredibly small detail.

JJK

O Yeah I have been an AVS member for along time I just wanted to get some input from a few members on here as I have more of a close friendship with people on this forum and this is the one I feel I belong to but I like AVS as well. AVS is great for info I read on there all the time but this is more of a close community with great people. Thanks for the input though I like rounding out the fine details where I can so I hope this addition (lens) will be an interesting one to work with.

I use a panamorph fvx200 witch is a vertical compression lens. There is less distortion with this lens but it requires a longer throw. I have 3 Lascalas across the front and wanted as big a screen as possible. The lens let me use a 159" anamorphic screen with the Lascalas below the screen. A 16x9 ratio would be tiny in my setup.

I have a 132” stewart screen currently and planned to use the UH480 horizontal stretch for 16:9 content projected on my 2.35:1 screen. I currently use THX ultra 2 KL-650s which actually have quite a large sounding soundstage and compliment the 132” screen quite well. In the next house I have every intention of going with a larger close to 300” screen with a Sim2 projector and an AT screen with either pro cinema speakers or Triad Platinum’s but that’s not for at least another 3-4 years when we move to Denver. At that point I may consider a different lens but for now I have my sights on the UH480. How do you like using your lens? Honest opinion over just zooming in and out and having all content playable on your screen?

Yes Depending on the type of lens you order (there are vertical and horizontal) it is stretched and then corrected by the lens in place to appropriately represent the ratio at a 2.35:1. Of course the directly didn’t’ film it this way but it would look correct via our screens I have seen this done and I have to say it make it very nice. It does add some brightness and utilizes the dead space pixels also when using 2.35:1 or 2.40 content as well. no more zooming in other words you just have the lens move into place via the motorized sled or manual one and everything is nice and neat within the screen that is what I have come to understand via all the threads I have read on anamorphic lenses. The main advantage being that with 2.35:1 content we are getting the best pic possible no matter what type of projector we use. Even the 4k content will work with the lens since it just corrects the aspect ratio etc etc and also there isn’t a ton of room for upgrading all the time (except to more expensive glass) since the technology doesn’t change. It’s just a well-engineered precisely cut type of glass! I have been reading about the lens for over a year but I plan to call panamorph next week to get some very very distinct details on everything before I purchase it. I’ll call you after I speak with them and again after I have it in place and had some time to play with it to give you my impressions on what they say and what I actually see working once it is in my setup.

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Your either loosing some of the picture or distorting it no matter what the anamorphic lens is doing. I have used

anamorphic lenses (2.66 x 1 horizontal plane) in the 60's taking movies.

JJK

• Like 1