Matching up Reference series models- Number or size?

hydro_pyro

New to the forum here...

I have been gradually piecing together a Reference Series 5.1 system. I have noticed that the model numbers of various cabinet styles don't always correspond to the driver size. Should I be sticking with one model number within each series of speakers? Or should I try to match up the driver size?

Currently:

RF-25 towers (6.5" woofers)

RC-25 center (5.25" woofers)

RW-10 sub

Sony compact satellite surrounds (wanting to upgrade these very soon)

Yamaha V577 receiver with main fronts in bi-amp configuration

I also want to try an RC-35 (6.5") center to see if it thickens the dialogue a bit. Got one on the way right now.

Regarding the surround upgrade... My living room is not symmeterical. One side offers a back "corner", but the other side is open, with only a wall behind the listener. Perhaps I should be considering a set of RB bookshelf speakers on stands for the surrounds, instead of RS-style cabinets wall-mounted from behind. The 90 degree horns don't seem practical in my small living room, and I like the flexibility of potentially having RB's on stands.

...But back to the original question: Should I be sticking with "25" Reference models? Or is it practical to have a mix of 25's and 35's to get 6.5" driver cabinets all-around? What's the ideal choice for my rear surrounds?

RS-25?

RS-35?

RB-25?

RB-35?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

-Chad

I would stick close between each line within the reference series as possible. It isn’t a 100% requirement and you will still have a great sounding setup using the reference line, but I would pair up RF42 towers with RS62II surrounds or anything to that extreme. That being said most of these close to each other should sound pretty decent. Welcome to the forum!

I might be out of line, but I'd match RMS power and sensitivity. Especially in the case of the RF-7's and RF-82's, trying to match a surround or center channel driver to 8" or 10" isn't gonna happen within the reference line (Unless you lay your hands on the RC-7).

I already own the RF-25 towers and RC-25 center channel (RC-35 en route), and I'm wanting them to all look the same. So, for now, I'm limiting my choices to the earlier 10, 25, and/or 35 Reference models with the oval logo.

Is there any reason NOT to match up the fronts, center, and sub with something much smaller for the surrounds? (specifically, RB-10's)?

I would run them in small-speaker mode, and they would only be used as surround channel speakers...

I can't see using RS-25's or RS-35's if I have to mount one of them in a corner. I'm bound to get some nasty reflections if these cabinets aren't mounted on a long side wall, correct? It doesn't seem useful to have 180 degree horn coverage when there's only 90 degrees of room to cover from a corner. That's why I'm looking as RB's. :)

Edited by hydro_pyro

You would want to angle your RB's in towards your listening area in that case - and if you were angling the speaker anyway, you'd be better off going with the 25 or 35, or the heavier duty RS-42 II's. Remember, you can also do wide surround dispersion by mounting them on your side wall at ear level too.

So, when you say "matching lines", does that mean matching RF25 and RC25? Or does it mean matching models which share the same size drivers? (i.e. RF25 and RC35)

I'm leaning toward a set of black RB-25's if I can find a pair.

Thanks...

We mean the same line not the driver size. Using the same driver means way more than the same size. Plus the same line will have the same looks.

To me, the RF25 towers and RF25 center channel have a completely different voicing. The towers naturally have more low-end extension as expected, but the RC25's midrange response is hotter, very throaty-sounding, and not as bright on the top-end as I would expect. That's why I'm getting the RC35 to try out... I want to see if the voicing is any better, any closer to the RC25 towers which also have 6.5" bottoms.

I can't see using RS-25's or RS-35's if I have to mount one of them in a corner. I'm bound to get some nasty reflections if these cabinets aren't mounted on a long side wall, correct? It doesn't seem useful to have 180 degree horn coverage when there's only 90 degrees of room to cover from a corner. That's why I'm looking as RB's. :)

The RS series can be used in corner with good results due to their wide dispersion pattern. Corner loading will add will increase the low end performance Thinking of the role of surround speakers, reflections are not a big issue. I have used surrounds up near the ceiling in corners for years

• Moderators

Welcome

Don't get hung up on woofer size, it's not that important, your only going to be depending on them for midbass anyway if done right.

Have fun, glad your going a little bigger with the center.