Heritage Speaker ?? - fact or fiction??

edster00

I was at a local Hi-Fi shop today, where I was looking for an equipment stand/rack to put in my upcoming dedicated 2 channel listening room.

This is not a big chain store, more of a Mom & Pop store, I didn't even know they carried Klipsch. They had the entire Reference line in the same room that I was in looking for furniture.

Anyway, I got to talking to the owner about Klipsch speakers and he told me that he had several pieces from the "new" Heritage line on order, including the Jubilee. He went on to say he had a pair of Cornwalls on order also. I explained to him that the Cornwalls had been dropped from the Heritage line ~1990 and that I doubted that they would be available. He then assured me that the entire Heritage line, including the Cornwall, was coming back in a limited production run as a tribute to PWK, and that the entire heritage line would be discontinued after this limited production run. He told me two sales people's names that had provided him with the information but I don't remember their names.

I just thought I would post this curious information and see if anyone from Klipsch could/would confirm or deny this fumor!

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-25-2002 at 03:47 PM

I received the same information from my local Klipsch dealer regarding the elimination of the Heritage line at some point.

I did not hear any information regarding the Cornwall however.

Logic dictates that if Heritage sells, they will continue to produce.

It does seem completely odd to me that Klipsch would spend so much time finding replacement drivers and gearing up for production -- only to shut everything down.

I think interested parties regarding this information should email Bob Gassel -- who has a reputation for being on the level.

I don't know what your dealer has been smoking but I would think it unlikely that the present owners of Klipsch would go to the trouble of re-introducing the Heritage series on a time limited basis purely as a tribute to PWK.

If that were their intent I suspect that they would have perhaps introduced the Jubilee or perhaps reintroduced the Khorn. In any event the economics of gearing up for the production of any product on a large scale dictate that a LOT of product needs to be sold in order to recover tooling/development/marketing costs.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Klipsch is aware that the Heritage series is going to be an important adjunct to their main business but will never again form the core of the company's sales. That said the prestige of the Heritage series - (and the profits the company will realise from producing those speakers) - will serve to keep those products in the line for years to come,especially when one looks at the general return to high efficiency speakers in the marketplace.

After all If your company is seen as the prime exponent of a technology that is being returned to within your industry and your company not only kept the faith but prospered during the dark times - You have some major credibility working for your product new or old.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

One thing to keep in mind here is just WHO actually OWNS the rights to the "heritage" line...the company has to pay a royalty for each one made from what I hear...and the CURRENT royalty recipient may have other plans in the works for just WHO will end up producing or continuing those particular speaker models at some time in the future...just why do you think the "company" can't supply the old "pie-slice" logos??? hint, hint!! Smile.gif

BTW....the only real "tooling-up" required to produce this line is the RE-ESTABLISHMENT of a genuine cabinet shop at the plant and training of some employees in their proper assembly...everything else was always "farmed out" anyway! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-26-2002 at 09:57 PM

I'll just say, that sucks......

What's Klipsch "famous" for...sorry, WRONG, it's the Synergy line, what's this Heritage stuff nes pa.....

actually...to think about it, maybe it's the ProMedia line Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 07-26-2002 at 11:19 PM

quote:

Originally posted by boomer9911:

I'll just say, that sucks......

What's Klipsch "famous" for...sorry, WRONG, it's the Synergy line, what's this Heritage stuff nes pa.....

actually...to think about it, maybe it's the ProMedia line
Smile.gif

Oh No you Di-int!

Read some audio technical books... they nearly always refer to the K-Horns in them. The Heritage speaker style from klipsch is what put themon the map. no way did synergy do that, maybe got you to klipsch but not the reputation or credibility.

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Just some personal opinion here based on historical fact:

The so-called Heritage line...which in this context will be the Klipschorn, the Belle Klipsch, the LaScala, the Cornwall, and of course, the little Heresy...will probably still be in production in some form or another (IOW...either continuous or on custom-order basis) when each of us draws our last breath!

There is still a demand for them after between over 50 to just over 30 years in production for all of these models...and that definitely says something for their designs!! Whether or not that demand will ever be enough in the future to support a major corporate structure has yet to be seen, but that demand WILL be there! It could well be a few "old codgers" working in a little "cabinet shop environment" who end up keeping these gems alive by building them on a part-time basis to supplement their retirement incomes...but they WILL continue becoming available to those who desire them new...that is pretty much a "given"!!

This line has been "tweaked to death" over the last half century in order to provide better performance and lower production costs...and some of these "tweaks" have debatable value, but nevertheless these "tweaks" have occurred!!

As long as people have a desire for them and are willing to pay the asking price, they will continue on (even if production is just on a part-time basis)...why should't they? They are all still excellent sound reproducers and can hold their own against any competition in their categories!!

I would imagine that SOME of us may see the day when, at least the major sub-assemblies, of a k-horn bass bin will end up being pre-fabbed from a fiber re-inforced polyresin in a injection- produced format in order to provide lower man-hour production costs, while still retaining the sonic qualities of the original design...I say this because the technology has been around for some time but just hasn't been utilized yet...for some reason or another. WHEN/IF this occurs, it will likely be the "wing" sections, the "pyramid" section, the motorboard assembly and its initial portion of the folded horn, the "tailpiece" assembly, the bass bin side panels, and door to pyramid section, the side grilles' frames, etc... Why do I say this? Because it is BOUND to happen!!! Here is why:

1. The cost of labor and materials in cutting the parts for these is becoming increasingly expensive, driving up the asking price for the speakers.

2. There will be no waste involved in this process, because the sub-assembly manufacture could be contracted outside the company.

3. Elimination of human error in the process which will vastly increase quality control and interchangability issues to the profitability end of the manufacturing spectrum (consider that the technology is there to eliminate the use of glues by having these parts arrive with a "peal-and stick" high-bond factor adhesive pre-applied to the surfaces needing "glue", AND the parts could be supplied with the pilot holes for screw fasteners already pre-molded into them in both surfaces, requiring only some pealing and screw-gun labor by the builders, thereby saving massive amounts of labor costs!!)

4. Since all of these sub-assemblies would still have to be mounted up to the front panel, even the front panel could be supplied with machine screw inserts in its back surface to ease assembly.

Now, for the "big question"...will this lower the PRICE of the speaker? Probably not much...BUT...it WILL drive up the PROFITABILITY MARGIN!!!

Now, for the next "big question"...will the consumer buy a speaker that is made this way? Well...that is up to the consumer, isn't it? IF the consumer can be CONVINCED that the sonic qualites are enhanced by this process, and that the speaker performs as well as or better than its current manufacturing format can provide, then I would say that the consumer will "go for it"...but for those who still believe in "hand-crafted wood cabinetry" THROUGHOUT the bass bin, then maybe NOT!! We must remember that MOST of the speakers made today(yes, even MOST of the Klipsch line) ALREADY HAVE numerous injection molded parts involved in their assemblies!!!...DOES THAT KEEP THE CONSUMERS FROM BUYING THEM????? HELL NO!!!

Could other models in the Heritage line be assembled up in this manner? Yes, the Belle, and LaScala can!!...at least PORTIONS of them!! Not to mention the Jubilee's bass bin!!

Will this ever really happen? Of course it will, it is just a matter of time!!!

Just a little "food for thought"!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Did it ever occur to you, that by the person saying that, it could be a sales pitch to motivate you to buy some Heritage speakers?

"Get em' now, because once their gone, their gone forever..."

Well, thats my synical side coming out Smile.gif

Yes, if they sell, they will build them.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I know that BobG has stated in the past that the Heritage line will not be discontinued but you never know when corporate minds may change...this store owner was quite adamant about what he was told by his sales rep.

I did think maybe the sales rep was selling him a line of bull to get the dealer to stock some Heritage speakers (I have not seen a heritage speaker in a retail store in many years).

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-27-2002 at 02:38 PM

Chill Justin, ever heard of being sarcastic, actually check out my toy list on this board, I definitely "know" the Heritage line, being an owner that is Smile.gif

I was refering to what HDBR stated(being a past employee himself that is)and the hype over the new Reference line and Synergy series. As well as the Domination of the Pro Media sector. Where has the Heritage gone...................

PWK has always set the standard for speaker development in this world, just like Bob Carver has contributed immensely on the electronics side of the house Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 08-01-2002 at 03:00 AM

Boomer---PWK made some good speakers and did some fine work but he hardly "set the standard for speaker development". Let's put his formidable achievements in perspective. He did little or no work on driver development and had nothing to do with the birth of the technology; for that look to guys like Wente, Thuras, Fletcher, Stephens, Voight, Hilliard, Lansing and Olson. And the finest refinements of horn and driver technology since the Great Horn Gods of the 30s and 40s has been the work of May, Locanthi, Keele, Edgar and Danley. PWK's genius was his initial folded cornerhorn (far from being the first folded horn or cornerhorn by the way) and his ability to wring outstanding sound from some pretty ordinary parts, parts developed and made by others. But I don't think he ever pushed the state of the art along.

Tom makes some good points. We also have comments in other threads that the drivers and systems were selected and designed with an eye to economy.

The result is that PWK sold units for the home market which were affordable to one extent of another. The research guys didn't do that. So, PWK adopted the theories of others, put his own on top, advocated them all, engineered them, built units implementing them, and marketed them, and we have the benefits.

Gil