Trying to determine my next system

burstaneurysm

So I'm looking at upgrading my HT and I'm trying to decide which direction to move.

I've been looking at the Reference line (and my wife thinks the copper drivers look good, so that's a selling point).

I'm currently running an Athena/Pioneer setup.

VSX-820 receiver

AS-F1 LR (8")

AS-C1 Center (5.5")

AS-B2 Rears (6")

AS-P400 Sub (8")

The only thing that's not changing at this point is the receiver.

I'll probably go elsewhere for the sub (unless I hit Crutchfield during a free sub with 5.0 promo), I was thinking the BIC F12.

My initial thoughts were to try and physically size down, so I was originally going to do a 42 setup all around.

I then thought I'd do a 42 for everything but the center and use a 52 there.

I did just come across the following on Craigslist too though.

Ref IV RF-82

RS3 and RC3 for $500

I guess my biggest concern is that I'm used to the fullness that 8" fronts provide. And I do like my current system, but it's been ten years and I kinda want to try something new.

Any opinions are welcome. System is used for TV/Movie playback 80%, music 20%.

Here's my current stuff prior to my last move.

qRPhPfA.jpg

Edited by burstaneurysm
  • Like 1

If that is in pairs for all 3 types, unless thrashed sounds like a deal.

Bet the Athena's sound good. Thinking the amount is safe if checks out.

If you like Athena, you may end up digging on Klipsch for sure. Akin in the past may recall.

Welcome!

Edited by billybob

If you don't buy used and buy new make sure to call like at acoustic sound design. Way better deals than what you see advertised. You can get the next step up for the sale

Price usually. If I were you and you can squeeze them is get the 62's and a 62 center. You could

Get smaller rears no problem. If you have to downsize if stay with the same size across the front. If you want a 52 center get the 52 towers.

42<52 marginally better. I couldn't really tell unless running full range. 52<62 huge difference. The cabinet is much larger as is the horn. The larger horn makes for a much better speaker. Now, I have owned them all and I think the rf-62ii is by far the best bang for your buck speaker klipsch makes

• Like 1

Scrappy, didn't he say the entire newer set up will cost him $500?  How much more can you save from that by going smaller with RF-62's?

"I did just come across the following on Craigslist too though.

Ref IV RF-82

RS3 and RC3 for $500"

Edited by wvu80

So I'm looking at upgrading my HT and I'm trying to decide which direction to move.

I've been looking at the Reference line (and my wife thinks the copper drivers look good, so that's a selling point).

I'm currently running an Athena/Pioneer setup.

VSX-820 receiver

AS-F1 LR (8")

AS-C1 Center (5.5")

AS-B2 Rears (6")

AS-P400 Sub (8")

The only thing that's not changing at this point is the receiver.

I'll probably go elsewhere for the sub (unless I hit Crutchfield during a free sub with 5.0 promo), I was thinking the BIC F12.

My initial thoughts were to try and physically size down, so I was originally going to do a 42 setup all around.

I then thought I'd do a 42 for everything but the center and use a 52 there.

I did just come across the following on Craigslist too though.

Ref IV RF-82

RS3 and RC3 for $500

I guess my biggest concern is that I'm used to the fullness that 8" fronts provide. And I do like my current system, but it's been ten years and I kinda want to try something new.

Any opinions are welcome. System is used for TV/Movie playback 80%, music 20%.

Here's my current stuff prior to my last move.

qRPhPfA.jpg

I would jump on that deal. Edited by reference_head

Scrappy, didn't he say the entire newer set up will cost him $500? How much more can you save from that by going smaller with RF-62's?

"I did just come across the following on Craigslist too though.

Ref IV RF-82

RS3 and RC3 for $500"

well first I was talking about going brand new. And then if you read my other posts I was also talking to a different guy than the op who is buying new. ;-)