I am not going back to Hainan, too old

USNRET

Sorry if I misled. I didn't leave it there. I went, cut it up, brought it back and put it together again. I will leave it to the aircrew that put it there to defend their position as to why it's not at the bottom of the ocean.

Edited by USNRET

The team was tasked with developing all possible methods of retrieval while the politicians negotiated. We flew in ( a  l.o.n.g flight from Georgia to China on a Gulfstream) and inspected the P-3. Our immediate thoughts were that we could throw some scab patches over holes, replace a few engine / prop assemblies, replace an elevator and limp it out. The Chinese would have no part of flying it out.

Another option played with was to tow it to a sea port and barge it out. That was a laugh considering the highways and byways there.

We leased a Russian Antonov to bring in our supplies and to take out the pieces. Once back at our Marietta, GA factory we selected a donor aircraft and replaced the wings and empennage.

Read this with a large grain of salt. I have a DVD with a slide show of our day to day activities around here somewhere. But my mug shot did make Time magazine.

That's really interesting. The Chinese Gov. gave you guys 30 days to get it out? Your pic on the cover of Time? Sweet. I hope you have that framed in the study LOL.

The Russian Antonov is a big SOB.

antonov-225-040.jpg

Edited by JL Sargent

USNRET,

Thanks for the link. Odd bunch, the Chinese. 

Very cool project to recover the plane as needed. impressive indeed. 

The pilot, Lt. Shane Osborn. He was the man flying that day to get the plane on the ground, period saving crew and plane. Recovered from an inverted dive to do that. No small thing. 

If you can post your pic from Time mag. would love to see it. 

If you can post your pic from Time mag. would love to see it. 

It's in a box somewhere around here. Didn't make the cover but if I remember correctly it was May 2001 with a cover concerning stem cell research and the article was titled something like A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words. I kept thinking I would frame the magazine for my Mom but never did, perhaps i should find it and give it to the kids who were not born quite yet even though the son was in the 'oven'. if you see the photo I would be the only person in green while everyone else was in yellow.