Klipschorn building plans

tpg

Rob H: I went through this before and figured I could at least share what I ended up doing with When I rebuilt the "$500 Specials" (which took me forever...). At one point, I looked at volvo's plans and somewhere in the piles of reference materials, a copy of the plans, but finally decided to find a cosmetically challenged disaster pair instead. Much of the decision came from the fact that I had an opportunity a few years ago to speak with the K'horn "assembler" at the factory. She told me, in no uncertain terms... that unless I had precision cut the wood, the angles, had the correct clamping jigs, and was really, really good and lucky, the likelyhood of doing the bins was "iffy" at best. I followed her advice. When I started on the project, I did not cut any corners (pun!!!!), and measured and re-measured each and every piece, used same type & thickness of wood, same glue type, etc. Fortunately, I only had to do minor stuff to the bass bins, but even so, was extremely careful when I screwed everything back together. The tops were an easy day... It's the bins that will be problematic. All it takes is one mistake, one seam that is not sealed, etc. Working temperatures have to remain the same, humidity control is a must because the plywood can warp ever so slightly if not stored correctly after cutting, etc.

Just my thoughts. Welcome to the Forum and if you go forward, best of luck and have a really good professional grade table saw!!

I have read that the SpeakerLab SK plans are pretty good. I used them as a starting point for bass units using 3/4 inch ply. That required me to draw out three-view isometric plans on very big graph paper. Then there was a lot of work cutting and trying. I did it with a circular saw and jigs and guides. It is almost impossible unless you're obsessed with the project. The SpeakerLab plans based on 1/2 inch ply is a bit more rational.

I also made a version of the Jubilee using 15 inch drivers. This was based on some guesswork about dimensions based on the AES article.

I have not kept these drawings. In the mean time, some fellow here put together some CAD versions of the Jubilee with the 12 inch drivers.. Maybe someone can point you to the post.

I highly suggest that the best way to go is to build the "Jubilee" and not the "K-Horn". (I'm being a bit cautious about Klipsch's trademark rights.) The compound angles on the K-Horn are very difficult. OTOH, almost half of the cuts for the Jubilee are a simple rip of the height of the cabinet.

Wm McD

• 4 weeks later...