Finished re-capping the Belle's AA crossovers

jimjimbo

My 1982 Belle's really needed to be freshened up, so I purchased some Sonicaps from Mr. Crites, a few bypass caps from Partsconnexion, and went to work with my soldering iron.   I wouldn't say the difference is "incredible" "amazing" "stunning" or anything like that, but there is a discernible increase in the clarity and smoothness of both the mid and tweeter.  Listening right now to Steely Dan's "Aja" album to get a good all around sense of freq response, and it sounds really, really nice.  I'm a happy camper.  Now on to the Cornwall's and Heresy's.... 

• Like 2

You will have a much better idea of how the caps sound in two to three weeks of every day all day play time. Some caps form more quickly than others but they all form and when they are done the can surprise you with the improvement that brings. Congrats on the fresh parts. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Man, you can solder and didn't try the charged coupled approach? If you'll try it, I'll pay for, and send you everything you need - and show you how to do it. JBL, Vandersteen and a couple of others, implement the method in their best loudspeakers. It's a great way to get a lot of what some of the more expensive capacitors give you for not much more than you just spent.

People who design capacitors and are involved in the manufacturing process will tell you that there is a short burn in period - usually 10-20 hours.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

As one of the least technical guys around here, or so I'm guessing, just want to say thanks for discussions like this one. It's understandable and tells me what's needed for an old pair of Heresys I plan on giving my daughter and son-in-law. Appreciate the education.

Man, you can solder and didn't try the charged coupled approach? If you'll try it, I'll pay for, and send you everything you need - and show you how to do it. JBL, Vandersteen and a couple of others, implement the method in their best loudspeakers. It's a great way to get a lot of what some of the more expensive capacitors give you for not much more than you just spent.

People who design capacitors and are involved in the manufacturing process will tell you that there is a short burn in period - usually 10-20 hours.

Then when you totally screw the pooch, you can always send them to Dean to fix :lol:

I forgot that I had already made the suggestion in another thread where the OP first originally asked for advice. It's not even off the page yet and he never responded. If I would have remembered I probably wouldn't have posted here -- no point in being pushy.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151829-replacementupgrade-caps-for-belle-aas/

Edited by DeanG