TV interfere with speaker?

Taz

I would be cautious about putting a LARGE non-shielded speaker in front of an old CRT TV.  The powerful magnet can cause the TV screen to magnetize.  You can see all the colors in the edge close to the speaker start to discolor.

My CF-4's (2 12" woofs) did that to my 36" CRT TV when I put the speakers too close to the TV.

I would be cautious about putting a LARGE non-shielded speaker in front of an old CRT TV.  The powerful magnet can cause the TV screen to magnetize.  You can see all the colors in the edge close to the speaker start to discolor.

Is there a way to shield the speakers?

I've got two KG2.2Vs I'm willing to part with.

jerol

Thanks JerolW,  I had hoped to have an all horn surround sound.  Just because I have most the stuff laying around to do it.  I have a few speakers I can use if I have to, Allison's that I have enjoyed.  Just got rid of one center channel speaker the other day....NUTS

Edited by Taz

He's probably like me.  I hate throwing or giving anything away that's still working.

Yep,  Still have the first pickup I bought in High School

Still have first TV I bought in about 1980, 13" screen and it's black and white

I don't mind giving things away if I think they will be put to good use, you are Family or close to it.  And I like Ya.

My CF-4's (2 12" woofs) did that to my 36" CRT TV when I put the speakers too close to the TV.

How close is too close.  I don't think I'd kill the old TV on purpose.  But not a lot of open area on the front wall with 'Stereo rack, Entertainment center with TV in it, and another stereo rack that is part of the entertainment center.  Khorns for L & R fronts.  Want to use a couple, but will settle for one LaScala as the center if I must

Is there a way to shield the speakers?

Bucking magnets.

I looked up Bucking Magnets.  I guess you were not pulling my leg.  No ideal how to arrange the magnets to be effective though

.  Could Probably off set it away from the TV.

TV is on the long wall and has to be.

• 2 weeks later...

If the magnets are screwing with the picture, you're too close. Back the speaker away far enough until the picture looks normal.

I wonder if it will make a difference if I was to disconnect the bass on the La Scala's by the TV.  How bad it might hurt the sound of the middle channel?  Leave the Bass hooked up on the KHorns and Rear La Scala's.

I'm not wanting to do a home theater, just try out the surround sound  with All horns   :unsure: .  No real room in the house I'm willing to try to convert to theater room.

Well haven't been able to go to sleep, it's light outside, so I think I go back to bed and try again before I have to get up in a couple hour.         STIT

I wonder if it will make a difference if I was to disconnect the bass on the La Scala's by the TV. How bad it might hurt the sound of the middle channel? Leave the Bass hooked up on the KHorns and Rear La Scala's.

It won't do anything if you just disconnect the wiring to the bass bin (if that's what you're referring to).  The magnets proximity to the TV hasn't changed.

just buy a degaussing wand and use it whenever you start to see distortion in the TV. easy peasy. 

edit: i've actually got one somewhere that I bought to use with my arcade cabinet before I decided to just convert it over to LCD. Let me know if you want me to dig it out and send your way.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith

I wonder if it will make a difference if I was to disconnect the bass on the La Scala's by the TV. How bad it might hurt the sound of the middle channel? Leave the Bass hooked up on the KHorns and Rear La Scala's.

It won't do anything if you just disconnect the wiring to the bass bin (if that's what you're referring to).  The magnets proximity to the TV hasn't changed.

That was what I was referring to.

just buy a degaussing wand and use it whenever you start to see distortion in the TV. easy peasy. 

edit: i've actually got one somewhere that I bought to use with my arcade cabinet before I decided to just convert it over to LCD. Let me know if you want me to dig it out and send your way.

I'll get it hooked up and if I have problems I'll get back to you on it.   THANKS.