kp301 II problems

nd-irish147

• 4 months later...

If you're looking for a replacement set keep an eye out for the K-75, K-79 or the K-792, any one of those will work as they all use the same magnet structure. You'd probably want to replace the stock diaphragms with titanium ones as they're relatively cheap and a very nice improvement. Oh and congrats on the new speakers, I'm sure once you get them right you'll really enjoy the heck out of them!!

ok - so let 's make this clearer   -  the K75 -K79 and K792 share the same magnet structure in size  -but the K792 is different with a new horn and a titanium diaphragm - also my understanding is  the K792 is used in the CW3 -H3-and the KP 301II  -

-thanks for the info -

Edited by Randyh

Yes the 792 has the Tractrix flare like the H-III's. In this pic I had them in my Chorus II's. They look cool but I didn't notice any difference in sound.

I dont understand how the K792 can fit in the Heresy 3 as the cabinet has the same measurements than a Heresy 2 that carries the smaller K76 Tweeter magnet structure -

-I would think that there is not enough clearance in the Heresy H2 or H3 cabinet to clear the larger k79 magnet at the top of the cabinet   -

if the k79  and the k792 share the much bigger magnet - the logic would be that this larger magnet would not fit  -

Edited by Randyh

I tried to fit a K79 in a Heresy Cabinet to no avail - the driver would have to be lower in the cabinet to clear which would then interfere with the midrange horn and the woofer - that is why they use the K76 magnet instead which is much smaller - 

-the K76 has just the right clearance to avoid touching the upper panel of the Heresy cabinet -- if you notice the picture of the Heresy 3 cabinet - the K792 horn is almost  flush with the MDF top panel while the K79 is at least 1/2 an inch higher -

I run a K79 with the stock horn in both my Heresy 3 in place of the original tractrix horn. Fits perfectly. Best regards Moray James

question 1) - from what I understand ,K79 -k75 does not fit a Heresy 1 -for the H3 -  you swapped the tractrix horn in the H3 for a stock H2  k79 horn and it fits -

-question 2) -   are the magnets of the k79 and the K75 the same size -do they pass through the opening in the H3 motorboard or did you increase the size of the opening  , do the magnets rub the MDF top panel in the H3 at all -

-question 3)  -  does the k79-k75 magnet rub the H3 cabinet  if used with a k792 tractrix horn  - regards

Edited by Randyh

Slightly different models but here is what worked for me.

I installed k75 magnets into a tangent 400. Using the same lens I had to open the cut-out in the cab  so that the magnet would pass though. 

The tangent 400 has H2 drivers in a larger cabinet.  Played sid by side the larger magnet is more sensitive and might have to be tamed a bit.

Actually I was fitting a H3 tweeter in a H2 box in the above picture.

I see that you had to releive the motorboard and the wood brace behind the motorboard -as long as there no vibrations in that area , that looks to do the job very well -

With Klipsch numbering an easy 'to remember' is 2= tractrix  

forte II, Chorus II  have tractrix horns

762 and 792 tweeter horns are tractrix 

As said before the 76/762 uses a smaller magnet motor than the 79/792 motor, the horns are interchangeable though so you can swap around to make up what you need. 

I prefer the original diaphrams, finding the titanium ones rather harsh and brittle sounding by comparison. But if you've blown out your ears, you might find the Ti boost useful.