Custom Built cabinet help

Turbox

Wow what a speaker! Thats probably your best one sound wise? But I think I still like the very first one the best.

I think so yes, I am all about three ways... :o speakers that is. I was just thinking that with a Grill on it wont really matter what the speaker looks like, now im leaning towards picture 3. now I just need someone who knows boxes and ports to jump in...anyone  

I currently have it set up as outlined in one of my first pics in the post, it truly sounds awesome with the 402 there, now I cant give it up.

Yeah I think I saw that he build the 904 grills.  I was also just thinking that regardless of how big the box is, I can still make the internal volume match the 904, and voila, there it is...by the way, when you order 402's they get delivered in a 53 foot trailer with a lift gate, on skids...bad azz.

How about this one? I like it, but it will indeed sacrifice some of my screen size in height. Probably looking at least 36 inches tall...

KPT-942 custom4.jpg

I like this most. What about having the two horns overlap a bit? The 402 angled up toward the listener would make it back a little at the top, and the 510 horn bottom in front of the 402.

402510.jpg

It seems like you would only have interference in the uppermost vertical axis of the 402, and little distortion in the LP.

I still like the idea of two LaScala bass bins over a custom ported. You know what you will get that way, plus it is horn loaded like your jubes. Besides, you have an LS bin and a spare 84 so all you would have to do is cut the top off your spare. 

Edited by mustang guy

Yes, that is likely my favorite, but even those extra few inches make a difference in my screen size. Overlapping is an good idea, just not sure how easy it would be to build or implement that.

If I had a 402 and a 510, I would stack them on the floor angled and everything just like I drew. Seeing it like that will help you figure out the best way to make a cabinet to house them. I saw where you gave me feedback on the jukebox, thank you. Well, that's how I did it. I sat the speaker in the thing, and slept on it. The next morning, I knew exactly what to do.

Seeing them actually stacked will definitely help you decide.

I know triangles don't stack naturally, for those of you who want to point that out to me. :)  It can be done, and should be done with great care, and lots of ingenuity. 

Edited by mustang guy

• Moderators

Just be careful if you overlap any edges, especially with the 402, Roy always talked about the "bubble" exiting the horn , wouldn't want to change that.

I would just set your max height and design with that, you wanted your perfect center so don't get in the way of the screen at all.

I like  drawing #1 also but if it is really important to you to go 3 way #2. Really any of them would probably sound great.

Besides just loving the 402 I remember listening to it compared to the 510. Surprisingly (TO ME)  the 510 sounded close to the 402 when setting on axis, the big difference was how wide the 402 still sounds great at. The 402 covers a much wider area which in a wide or big room should make a lot of difference as a center channel, with as much info that is directed to the center channel. I say this because when this comparison was done I was setting along a side wall about half was into the room and heard a huge difference, when I got up and moved closer to the center the difference was much less noticeable, so I tried it a couple of times, it's how I got that opinion.

Great project, it had to be done sooner or later.

Edited by dtel