Is... Analog Dead?

Schu

I would argue that a CD is no less analog than vinyl. To that extent, analog will never be dead. The analog world itself is quantized, and we frequently run into quantum limits when doing low noise audio design. Has anyone here ever considered why the bit depths and bit rates are what they are? The limitations are entirely due to analog behaviors. Vinyl has very similar quantization levels - it just gets named differently.

Btw, does anyone here know anything about DDL's (digital delay lines) in regards to the manufacturing of vinyl?

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=105321

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't matter to me. I have 30 year old well played records that smoke their digital counterparts. It's the music that comes out the speakers that interests me, not a test.....  

I feel the same way, but recognize the hundreds or thousands of variables that complicate trying to answer the question.  In my case, over 10 yrs ago, I went overboard in trying to make the musicality and quality of sound from my LP setup equal or equivalent to my digital setup.  Lots of changes, including moving to a Basis TT and Vector arm, and then a upper-level two-box Wadia CD player, which I then had modified.  Also, putting Townshend Seismic Sinks under both the TT and CD transport.  Juggling those moves one after the other finally gave me an equivalent quality from my LP and CD players.

An example of one component that you have, Shakeydeal, that can make a difference in the purity of sound from from both LP and DC players is a PS Audio power regenerator.  I have one, too.  My point is that LOTS of things can jiggle LPs past CDs, or the other way around.  No wonder opinions are all over the place.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

I agree completely. Just dropping a turntable into a system does not guarantee it will outperform other sources. There are many factors to consider and many things that could go wrong. If someone isn't predisposed to fiddle with a vinyl rig to wring the best out of it, they should stick with plug n play solutions like a seedee player.

I admit I am not the tweaker I once was. At one time in my life I obsessed about every little thing. In the end, this does pay dividends in the form of a better performing system. But nowadays I would rather spend that time just listening.

Shakey

• Like 2