Should I upgrade Forte II?

Serge_S

I finally have some time to refresh my Forte II’s, but am reluctant.  Is there a minority opinion on this? Does anyone here prefer them(or Choruses, or Quartets) stock?  If so, what are your reasons? Thanks

Serge

Edited by Serge_S
  • Like 1

I'd recommend replacing the stock crossovers with Chorus II crossovers and the woofers with the K-42's. The woofers seem to need a little more power than the stock ones but you'll be blown away by the difference this makes.

• Like 1

I'd recommend replacing the stock crossovers with Chorus II crossovers and the woofers with the K-42's. The woofers seem to need a little more power than the stock ones but you'll be blown away by the difference this makes.

Interesting.  I’ve never heard of this mod.  Just to clarify: are you suggesting to install Chorus II crossover in Forte II?   Thanks

• Like 1

any changes that you might male are simple and reversible so what do you have to be concerned about? I think that the suggestions made by jjptkd made are excellent. Lots of other things that you can do if you are happy with this and would like more. Best regards Moray James.

My concern is changing the sonic characteristics that I like.  I should've been clearer in my OP:  I can see changing the aging crossover caps np. My question was more about changing the diaphragms and/or drivers and whether anyone regretted and went back to the originals and why.  I've seen the original parts being sold pretty quickly.  So there must be a demand where people are looking to replace damaged parts with originals rather than to mod. Thanks

• Like 1

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I made a thread about it when I first joined the forum, I called the speakers "mini" Chorus II's. I've always loved the Chorus II's and have tried out a lot of the different Klipsch speakers including the Forte I & II, Quartet, original Chorus, Cornwall, KLF-30's and always end up back at the Chorus II. After selling my last set of Chorus II's (because of a move) I ended up with a set of Klipsch KP-250 II's. I was really impressed with them as to me they were the closest thing I'd heard to the Chorus II's just without the bass slam. So I started thinking about building a custom set of speakers using the K-61 mid horn with the K-42 in a larger, properly tuned cabinet to extract the most bass possible out of the 12" woofer and just use the Chorus II crossover and tweeter. Long story short I picked up a pair of Forte II's for $150 locally and as I sat there looking at them I realized they were perfect for my mod as they already had the proper mid horn and the Chorus II terminal cup with crossover was a straight swap out. I later found out that the tweeters are also the same, just without the ferrofluid. I put them together and man do they sound great. And like Moray said, nice easy swap that can be changed out if you don't like it.

• Like 4

any changes that you might male are simple and reversible so what do you have to be concerned about? I think that the suggestions made by jjptkd made are excellent. Lots of other things that you can do if you are happy with this and would like more. Best regards Moray James.

My concern is changing the sonic characteristics that I like.  I should've been clearer in my OP:  I can see changing the aging crossover caps np. My question was more about changing the diaphragms and/or drivers and whether anyone regretted and went back to the originals and why.  I've seen the original parts being sold pretty quickly.  So there must be a demand where people are looking to replace damaged parts with originals rather than to mod. Thanks

the only way for you to know if things will be as you like them is to try yourself. Did you think that changing crossover caps would not change how the speakers sound and present? You will learn something from everything that you do and you will probably learn more from your mistakes that from your successes.

Personally ti diaphragms in the tweeters and in the mids is a massive improvement. You are going to get suggestions to do and not to do, that it is good and that it is not good and so on for ever. If you want to try something then try it and you will know. Asking if you will like something or if you will be happy with some change is like asking on line if you will like a flavor of ice cream. If you work toward minimizing and eliminating mechanical and acoustical distortion then you can only make the speaker sound cleaner and have lower distortion, that's what I work toward and I have never been unhappy with doing so. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

I took a look inside my Fortes: they were never upgraded or refreshed. So for now I decided to go the safest route and just refresh the existing config.  I ordered Mr. Crites' Forte II crossovers and Ti tweeters.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

Serge

I took a look inside my Fortes: they were never upgraded or refreshed. So for now I decided to go the safest route and just refresh the existing config.  I ordered Mr. Crites' Forte II crossovers and Ti tweeters.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

Serge

Wise choise. This is ususally the first step/mod most do to there speakers and is great bang for there buck. My heresy's definatly improved after corssover recap and ti tweeters. Let us know how they sound after.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Mine already had the Ti tweeters and re-capped x-overs when I got them so I have no reference to stock but they sound amazing. It took a bit of playing with set up but well worth it. All I have done is add some weight to the passive as recommended by another member here and it made them dig a bit deeper and added spikes to them which also helped. I probably will not do any more mods because I am afraid I might not like the mods. Good luck to you.

Mine already had the Ti tweeters and re-capped x-overs when I got them so I have no reference to stock but they sound amazing. It took a bit of playing with set up but well worth it. All I have done is add some weight to the passive as recommended by another member here and it made them dig a bit deeper and added spikes to them which also helped. I probably will not do any more mods because I am afraid I might not like the mods. Good luck to you.

you can try a very simple mod which takes almost no time to do. Set the speakers up so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level. This will provide you with the very best possible stage and image. Easy to do and undo if you don't like the change. Does not have to cost you a dime. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

you can try a very simple mod which takes almost no time to do. Set the speakers up so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level. This will provide you with the very best possible stage and image. Easy to do and undo if you don't like the change. Does not have to cost you a dime. Best regards Moray James.

I have them set up that way with the spikes, tilted back so the mid is pointed right at ear level, much better.

I have them set up that way with the spikes, tilted back so the mid is pointed right at ear level, much better.

tilting helps and is better than doing nothing but it screws things up compared to having the speakers firing square to you at your listening position. Why don't you try and compare the two methods and see for yourself? Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Right now I have them on some stands that are solid as all get out the stands are exactly 12" tall and I have spikes on them and have the speakers perfectly level. I put a piece of masking tape exactly 9" down from the top on the side( exactly the center of the mid horn ) and then shined a laser down the line and it hit exactly where my ear is. It sounds the same in the sweat spot but more even response in other seats ans across the room. I will have to play around with it and might just use these stands or make new ones maybe modify the stock risers, I have a few ideas and am a TIG welder/ fabricator so have some more ideas, Sorry for the hijack, Thanks.

Edited by Anotherforumname