LSI splits- various

colterphoto1

I know, these just keep showing up in my hands. I must be the guy to expertly go through them and breath life into these great bins. I think I've circulated a dozen pairs over the years. 

I rescued 4 LaScala splits thanks to a tip that let me to a industrial salvage place in downtown Indy. They are rough- initial test showed nearly nothing working. I've taken them completely apart (not an easy task if you've ever been inside one). Found nearly all drivers in good condition, replaced diaphragms where necessary. A lot of the inop issues were due to broken fuse holders, connections etc. Due to the sealed nature of the top cabinets, networks looked good but I've refreshed with Dayton caps (2 x 2uf and 1 x 13 uf in AA networks with Zener diode tweeter protection).  Will repaint mid horns and baffle boards prior to final reassembly, along with whatever components needed to get the aluminum jack cups back to spec. The tops are the trapezoid style with metal edging that is complete but shows quite a bit of wear (let's call it history,or experience - hey they were hung in a bar ok) . 

Here's where it gets interesting. The bottoms were all blown - EV/Pyle/Klipsch drivers. Have one metal edged 'pro' cabinet (with inset woofer hatch door), and three of what appear to be early split cabinets built like a home LaScala (with surface mount woofer hatch door). I'll cut and drill new plywood door hatches where need be as these were scooted around a bit. Corners rough, but cabinets appear sound, no delamination or evidence of water damage. Interiors are perfect, with all panels tightly in place. 

Judging interest before I sink too much time/money into this project. Here's what I'm proposing: 

I'll fix up the tops real nice like, the LF bins are up to you (including installing the woofer of your choice - some might want K43, some might want K33). It's an easy install, just 4 provided bolts, make electrical connection, screw door hatch on. Will sell in pairs or singles, figuring the rough, but split nature of these might make them ideal for Home Theater center cabinets. I really don't want to get into the whole bondo/paint thing. If you want the LF fixed up, that's on you. ( ok I might be persuaded if pricing is right).  

Will ask $250 per top, and throw in a LF bin with each purchase. ( I'll probably finish the one metal edged LF bin and install woofer in it for $200) 

How far should I take these? Any interest? 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

They're still in pieces guys, but I'll get some photos up this weekend for ya. Jim will have first dibs on a BG top and the metal trimmed LF bin.  There is one other BG top, two painted tops, the three remaining LF bottoms are of the 'older style' but still are structurally in great shape. If you'd like to do painting/trim sanding yourselves, I can leave them torn down and save you that labor.  It took the better part of an afternoon to pull apart all 8 cabinets, but a labor of love I can tell you! 

• Like 1