Scotchtober is upon us

jacksonbart

I am depressed that fall is here, I have grown to dislike winter.  We did just get a Jotul woodplace insert so no more "all show" fires, sucking heat from the house.  Was a cool rainy Saturday (49 high) and that thing got the house temp up 10 degrees on 14 logs over 9 hours.  This past weekend it was all about vodka tonics or Manhattans. Not too shabby.  I will say my log count and time of fire burning time accuracy might have been impaired by vodka.  The thermostat however was logged and on the opposite side of the house from the fireplace.     

Edited by jacksonbart
  • Like 1

One of my favorite whiskeys is 'Talisker Port Ruighe'.

Here was my review of this single malt July 2013:

While on holiday, I purchased a bottle of this whiskey. I finished all but a dram, because I wanted my father to try it. I had a hard time placing the nose, until it dawned on me. The belly of an old schooner I sailed on a few years back. Wonderful aroma of wood fired cook stove, and salt aged wood. The flavor is rich with smoked salmon and the finish pleasantly reminds you that you just sipped a full bodied dram. This is no wimp. Isle of Sky is an absolutely beautiful place, and it is no wonder they produce such a fine dram!

Talisker-Port-Ruighe.5004a.jpg

Another favorite of mine is 'Scapa 16 Year Old'. Neat is the only way to drink it. DO NOT ADD WATER! I have enjoyed several bottles.

Scapa-16-Year-Old.jpg

I went ahead and spent $54 on a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year, and tonight had my first nose and taste of Single-malt scotch. Just a splash in a wine glass. An intimately deep 10-breaths of nosing, a long swishing taste, and a deep breath of fresh air. Absolutely incredible. I'm hooked. I will enjoy this bottle very slowly. I dare never become buzzed off this substance.

Either Americans don't know how to make Whisk(e)y, or I have never tasted a good bourbon.

I guess I'm a "single-malt snob" now.

I went ahead and spent $54 on a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year, and tonight had my first nose and taste of Single-malt scotch. Just a splash in a wine glass. An intimately deep 10-breaths of nosing, a long swishing taste, and a deep breath of fresh air. Absolutely incredible. I'm hooked. I will enjoy this bottle very slowly. I dare never become buzzed off this substance.

Either Americans don't know how to make Whisk(e)y, or I have never tasted a good bourbon.

I guess I'm a "single-malt snob" now.

Americans make great whiskey.  They cant make scotch however because it has to do with a sense of place.  Irish whiskey is also good.  If anyone cant make whiskey it is the English.  That is why they stick to gin.

I visited the Glenfiddich distillery last summer. There I learned a few things I did not know about Scotch whiskey. One of them was that in America, whiskey barrels cannot be reused. Distillers in Scotland buy used bourbon barrels to age the barley alcohol they have distilled. Usually this is the first step in the aging process followed by time in a port barrel, a sherry barrel, etc... Single malt means it is the same whiskey poured from barrel to barrel to influence the flavor with aging. Blend means taking more than one malt and mixing it with another to influence the flavor. 

If not for American bourbon barrels, the whiskey coming from Scotland wouldn't be what it is. You mentioned good bourbon in your post. You are right on with that statement! If not for good bourbon, there would be no great Scotch!

One thing I really like about scotch is it is made from fermented barley just like beer. In my opinion this is why it goes better with a beer chaser than bourbon which is corn liquor. 

• Like 2

A wee drop of the dew is a must sometimes. In Gaelic, Whiskey is "Water Of Life" so play some Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem on your favorite Klipsch and imbibe of a Jug Of This! KT loves his Mountain Dew. Seek out a copy of "Hearty & Hellish" on Columbia and drink up! 

• Like 1