Newbie wanna be to the world of klipsch

Jeff Penley

Can't decide between a pair of Hershey 3's and whatever center would work and a pair of rf 82 ii and a rc 62ii. 50/50 movies and music. Have 2 boston acoustics HD8 for surrounds, for now. Also have a yamaha RX-V475 receiver. Any suggestions, ideas greatly appreciated. Don't have a sub and don't think I want one, not a bass head. Love Pink Floyd .

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jeff Penley
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Hershey

I like Hershey chocolate too Jeff.  :P   They are actually Heresy. 

My friend just picked up a pair of Heresy's and he loves them for 2ch.  The RF82ii system is a great system for movies.

Don't have a sub and don't think I want one, not a bass head. Love Pink Floyd .

IMO, EVERY system can use a quality sub (whether 2ch or HT and even if you have huge speakers).  Just because you have a sub doesn't mean you have to turn it up super loud.  You just want it to fill in the bottom octaves that your speakers do not reproduce, ESPECIALLY for movies.

• Like 1

Heresy is a great speaker, but just the fact that you're doing 50% movies, I'd lean toward the RF-82s. You're not a bass-head, but you still might find yourself wishing that the Heresies dug a little deeper.

If you were looking at Fortes instead of the Heresy, that would be a much harder decision for me. If you were going to use the speakers mainly for music, I'd go with the Heresy.

• Moderators
I'd lean toward the RF-82s. You're not a bass-head, but you still might find yourself wishing that the Heresies dug a little deeper.

Do you think he would benefit from a sub with either system?

In my living room, even feeding them 200 watts per channel, I found that the Forte II and the Chorus II didn't have enough bass for my tastes (but I like a lot of bass).  My room is VERY open with 12' ceiling and the wall is 25' wide so the speakers do not have corners to help with bass response.

• Moderators

Honestly, it doesn't matter what we think, your ears have to like the way they sound.  As mentioned, if you can locate someone that has either set of speakers you are considering, you could hear how they sound for yourself and make a better decision.  Check your local craigslist.  Heresy's and Forte pop up frequently.  Even if you don't want to buy them used, at least schedule a time to go listen to them.

I've owned a LOT of Klipsch speakers (mostly being from the Reference Series).  I like both the Heritage and the Reference Series.  Due to being a 3-way design and having a mid-range horn, to my ears, the Heritage sound better for 2ch than the Reference Series.  I really enjoy my RF-7ii in my 2ch setup though, much more than I ever did with the Forte II or Chorus II.  My guess is that they provide the slam that I enjoy.

You don't have to be a bass head to have a sub in your system.  Why lop off the bottom octave or two?  It's there, you might as well hear it.  A good sub absolutely makes the movie experience.  I'd do 3 Heresy's across the front with a quality sub.

• Like 2

I'd lean toward the RF-82s. You're not a bass-head, but you still might find yourself wishing that the Heresies dug a little deeper.

Do you think he would benefit from a sub with either system?

I'm not a "bass-head" either and my room is very small, so my RFs put out more than enough bass for me. I do wish I could get the bass a little deeper, but I have a hard time justifying spending the money to get down another 10hz.

There is an RSW-15 for sale near me, but a little out of my price range.

The Heresy set up I listened to definitely had enough bass output and punch but did not go low enough for me. I would definitely use a sub with heresies.

Hey youthman sorry about the spell check on my so called smart phone. And thanks to all who replied. I really don't have the option of hearing these side by side, just wondering about build/sound quality between the two. My room open 14 x 16 with high ceilings.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

• Moderators
Hey youthman sorry about the spell check on my so called smart phone.

I'm just bustin your chops.  :D

My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings so your room isn't too much different than mine.  Either of those setups would sound awesome in that size room.

Build quality....the Heresy has a real wood veneer while the RF-82ii have a vinyl veneer.  As far as internal build quality, I think both are pretty solid speakers. 

Where are you located?

Welcome Jeff.  You will love the sound of the Reference or Heritage speaker without a sub, but once you heard them with a sub you will never be without one.  People get wrong what subs are about.  Subs handle deep bass freeing up the avr to have more power and finesse to handle some bass, midrange and the Hi's.  They also help even out the bass response in the room.  Your speaker will not be trying to produce the full sound spectrum, and will have less cone breakup, lower distortion. 

Stick around this is a fun place.

• Like 1

I know Scrappydue is always recommending guys call Mike at Sound Distributors for a good deal on new Klipsch speakers.

yep mike will give you the best deal out of any i have talked to. rf-82ii's can be had for cheaper than new heresy's for sure hoever maybe some used really clean heresy's would be better and better price.